Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 12 12th January 2016
The staff and I hope you and your families had a very happy, peaceful Christmas. We wish you health and blessings for this New Year.
The Parents’ Council organised the Christmas Monster Raffle. They wish to thank you for your spot prizes and support. The sum of €3,690.90 was raised.
The Board of Management wish to thank all of you who gave the Voluntary Contribution during the first term. All donations are greatly appreciated. Donations of €30 per child or €50 per family will still be accepted and appreciated throughout the remainder of the school year.
The staff wish to thank all of you who have donated very generously some of the following items to the school; Medical supplies, CD/DVDs, costumes, toys and uniforms.
Enrolment Forms for new children starting school in September 2016 have been distributed. Please return by the Friday, the 29th of January. Forms are available in the office.
The staff of Scoil Chroí Naofa consider punctuality to be of paramount importance. Please ensure that your child is in school by 8.50am to avoid constant disruption to morning prayers and to the beginning of the school day for teachers. There were a significant number of children coming in late regularly last term.
The staff have commenced implementing the six week Literacy Lift Off Programme in Mrs. Murray’s class. Every child is will bring home a new book each night and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
Mr. Wallace and Mrs. Hallissey will re-commence coaching for Table Quiz today, Tuesday in Mr. Wallace’s room from 2.30 – 3.30pm.
The next Parent’s Council Meeting is scheduled for tomorrow Wednesday, the 13th of January at 8pm. All parents are welcome to attend any of these meetings. Please enter through the main front entrance.
The 6th class girls will participate in the “You Shall Be My Witness Confirmation Programme”. This programme will take place in Coláiste an Chlarin at 8pm on the following Wednesdays: January 13th, 20th, 27th and February 4th.
Children from 5th & 6th class are invited to attend the Coláiste an Chláirín School Musical entitled “The Wiz” in the Community Hall this Thursday, the 14th of January at a cost of €3 per pupil.
The four senior classes are participating in Peace Proms Choir. They will perform their repertoire in NUIG on Saturday, the 30th of January at 8pm. Tickets can be purchased from www.peaceproms.com for €15 per person or €50 for family of 4. Advisable to book early to avoid disappointment.
English classes for the duration of 6 weeks at a cost of €30 will be available in January for parents who have not English as their first language. If you are interested please contact the office. If numbers are insufficient, classes will not take place.
We wish to remind you of our school Birthday Policy which was revised last year. Birthdays are a very special time particularly for children. Parents honour and celebrate their children’s birthdays in different ways. Staff also acknowledge children’s birthdays. In the interest of inclusion and equality of treatment of all children and to ensure that birthdays continue to be happy events for all children, the staff seek your co-operation with the following:
- Parents and children are requested not to distribute birthday invitations on the school premises.
- Parents are requested not to send a cake or sweets etc to their child’s class on his/her birthday.
- The staff will not provide names, phone numbers or addresses of children in their class due to the requirements of data protection legislation.
The Healthy Eating Policy has just been revised in collaboration with the Mrs. Hennessy and her Healthy School Committee, Staff, Parents’ Council & Board of Management. A special thank you to Ruth Kilcawley (parent and Consultant Dietician) who was very generous with her time and expertise. Each family will receive a copy of this policy tomorrow which will be implemented from Monday, the 18th of January onwards. It outlines clearly foods recommended for every day or in small amounts and foods not recommended during school hours for safety reasons and for a healthy lifestyle. Please familiarise yourself with this policy.
- Confirmation girls are invited to attend “A Service of Light” in the Church on Friday, the 22nd of January at 7.30pm.
- Transition Assessment Tests for 6th class pupils will take place in the Presentation College on Saturday, the 23rd of January from 9.30 – 11.30am. Principal will address parents at 10am.
- The next Communion Preparation Mass will take place on Sunday, the 24th of January at 11am.
- Parent/Teacher meetings for Junior Infants on Tuesday & Wednesday 27th & 28th of January.
- Two teams will participate in the Credit Union Table Quiz in Coláiste an Chláirín on Sunday, the 31st of January at 2pm.
- Grandparents will be invited to Grandparents Day which will take place on Wednesday the 3rd of February as part of Catholic School Week.
- Parent’s Council are organising a Table Quiz in Dowling’s Bar on Friday, the 5th of February at 8.30pm.
- Confirmation will take place on Saturday, the 13th of February at 2.30pm.
Teresa Neylon, Principal Michelle Greally, Acting Deputy Principal