Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 15 27thJanuary 2015
The Department of Education are currently creating a database. Forms have been distributed to every child in the school. We are still awaiting the return of one third of the forms. Please return immediately. If you have lost your form, please request another form from teacher/secretary.
Darren Collins from Monivea Rugby Club is currently coaching Rugby to sixth class girls.
Sharon Higgins is providing two Zumba Dancing Workshops to the children from second up to sixth class. Many thanks to the Parents’ Council for financing this venture.
Congratulations to Mrs. Murray, sixth class and the following girls in the debating team who won their debate so eloquently against St. James’s National School, Bushypark at the Sister de Lourdes Debating Competition 2015; Amy, Rebecca and Giovanni. They have qualified to the next round.
Catholic Schools’ Week is being celebrated nationally from Sunday, the 25th to Saturday the 31st of January. Its purpose is to highlight and celebrate the wonderful contribution that the Catholic School makes to local communities and to society in general. Grandparents are invited to visit the school on Grandparents’ Day which will take place tomorrow, Wednesday the 28th of January at 10.45am. They will visit their grandchildren’s classrooms and afterwards refreshments will be provided in the school hall at the courtesy of the Parents’ Council. We want to honour and celebrate grandparents for the important part they play in the community and most significantly in the lives of their grandchildren.
The Parents’ Council are organising a Fun Table Quiz in Dowling’s Bar this Friday, the 30th of January at 8p.m. It will cost €10 per person (cost per table is €40). Your support would be greatly appreciated. The proceeds of the Quiz will go towards funding bus fares and workshops for the children. The Parent’s Council wish to inform you that they have already spent €1900 on buses to various activities such as choir, cross country running, pizza making and debating since the beginning of the school year.
The Student Council organised a little fundraiser with the assistance of a publisher. They created a calendar from January to December 2015 with a photo of each of the twelve classes to coincide with the months of the year. There are still a number of calendars available at the office at a cost of €5.
Dates for Diary
- The Credit Union Table Quiz will take place on Sunday, the 1st of February at 2pm.
- Sixth class Confirmation Retreat will take place on Thursday, the 5th of February in the Pastoral Centre presented by the Net Team.
- Book Fair will take place in the school from the 9th to the 13th of February.
The staff wish to remind you that some children have a severe nut allergy therefore children are not allowed to bring any food out to the yard except fruit/veg at first break.
If you change home address, email address or phone numbers, please inform secretary so she can update school records.
Texts are sent out regularly to one member in each family. If you are not getting regular texts, please contact the secretary.
Please check your child’s hair regularly for Head Lice.
In accordance with Section 18 of the Education Welfare Act 2000, when a pupil is absent for part or all of a school day, parent/s must notify teacher or Principal of the reason for the pupil’s absence. If a pupil is absent for more than 20 days during the school year, the school authorities must inform the Education Welfare Board who consult with parents and other appropriate persons. In order to comply with the Act, staff need your cooperation with the following
- If your child is absent, please write a note to teacher stating the reason and give it to your child on the day your child is returning. It is unnecessary to phone as well.
- If your child has to leave the school during the school day, the person who is collecting your child must sign him/her out at the Secretary’s Office.
The staff have revised our school Policy on Birthdays with the support of the Parents Council and Student Council. “Birthdays are a very special time particularly for children. Parents honour and celebrate their children’s birthdays in different ways. Staff also acknowledge children’s birthdays. In the interest of inclusion and equality of treatment of all children and to ensure that birthdays continue to be happy events for all children, the staff seeks your co-operation with the following:
- Parents and children are requested not to distribute birthday invitations on the school premises.
- Parents are requested not to send a cake or sweets etc to their child’s class on his/her birthday.
- The staff will not provide names, phone numbers or addresses of children in their class due to the requirements of data protection legislation.
Urodziny to bardzo wyjątkowy czas, szczególnie dla dzieci. Rodzice świętują urodziny swoich dzieci na różne sposoby. Nauczyciele również pamiętają o urodzinach swoich uczniów.Aby żadne dziecko nie czuło się wykluczane lub nierówno traktowane oraz aby urodziny nadal były radosnym wydarzeniem dla każdego dziecka, nauczyciele proszą o Państwa współpracę w następujących kwestiach:
- Prosimy o niewręczanie zaproszeń na urodziny na terenie szkoły.
- Prosimy o nieprzynoszenie do szkoły tortów, słodyczy itp. w dniu urodzin Państwa dziecka.
- Ze względu na ochronę danych osobowych, pracownicy szkoły nie będą udzieclać informacji o imionach, numerach telefonów czy adresach innych dzieci.”
We advise parents and children to keep a regular eye on our new redesigned website at www.scoilchroinaofaathenry.ie for regular updates on what is happening in our school. The website includes many features such as our school diary over the next few weeks, recent school newsletters & photos, blogging from various classes, a translation feature to other languages etc. The Birthday Policy is now uploaded onto the website if you wish to read it in your first language.
Yours sincerely__________________________ Teresa Neylon, Principal