Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 11 December 2nd 2014
The Student Council will continue to receive support & training in a Debating Programme today, Tuesday with Margaret Martin.
Fifth & Sixth class will attend the Musical Hairspray in the Presentation College tomorrow Wednesday, the 3rd of December at a cost of €3 per person.
An extract from our School Self Evaluation Report for 2013/2014 will be distributed tomorrow. It is a brief summary of all the work carried out in the school over the course of the last school year.
The Lighting of the Christmas Tree will take place this Thursday, the 4th of December, at 4.15pm at the Square. The Medieval Town Band has been invited once again to perform at the ceremony. The children have put a lot of hard work into this performance and would be very grateful if you could support us by being present on this occasion. All band members (children from 2nd up to 6th class) are requested:-
- To wear their full school uniform, navy tights and dark coloured shoes or boots
- To wear extra layers under the school uniform.
- To wear their hair in plaits, if possible.
- To wear Santa Claus hats or reindeer hair bands (optional).
- To stay in school from 2.30pm to 3.45pm and to bring an extra snack for eating at this time.
- Children will be supplied with band sweaters. Raincoats will be provided if necessary.
- Children can be collected from the school at 4.45pm.
The four senior classes have been busy making Christmas decorations under the guidance of Mrs. Monson for Christmas trees located outside Centra and in the square. Make sure to look out for their wonderful work when the Athenry Christmas lights are turned on.
Ms. Monaghan’s, Mrs. Monson’s and Mrs. Murray’s class are participating in the Hallelujah Choir Festival in City West, Dublin on Friday, the 5th of December. Our pupils will perform with 3000 children from other schools around the country. The details and requirements for the day are as follows:
- Bus for the children leaves at 11.30am on Friday morning.
- Choir members come to school with their hair tied back and wearing white Hallelujah t-shirt (supplied), dark trousers/ dark skirt & tights and dark shoes/boots
- Children are not allowed to bring phones or any media devices
- Children are required to bring two substantial packed lunches and plenty of drinks. They have the option of bringing some pocket money to purchase snacks at the venue. However, please note that food purchased at the event last year was extremely expensive.
- They will attend a rehearsal with the orchestra from 3.00pm to 5.00pm
- Concert will take place from 7.00 – 9.00pm
- If children are staying with parents after the concert and not returning on the school bus, please notify the school. Children can be collected inside the main entrance door adjoining the car park.
- Bus will arrive back in the school car park at 11.30pm (approx)
- Children must be collected from the bus in school car park by a nominated adult. Please fill in form overleaf and return to school tomorrow.
- A bus has also been booked for family members at a cost of €15 per person. This bus will depart from the school car park at 3pm sharp. Please forward bus fare to the office immediately.
Athenry Christmas Gift & Craft Fair will take place in the Community Hall on Saturday, the 6th of December from 12 – 6pm.
The next Mass for the Confirmation Parish Programme will take place this Sunday, the 7th of December at 7.30pm. Children who are making their Confirmation are invited to attend with their parents.
Senior classes will be singing Christmas Carols at the Christmas Market in the square on Friday, the 12th of December at 1pm.
The Student Council have organised a little fundraiser with the assistance of a publisher. They created a calendar from January to December 2015 with a photo of each of the twelve classes to coincide with the months of the year. This calendar will make an ideal gift for your loved ones at a reasonable cost of €5.
All the children and staff of the school are also working extremely hard for our Christmas School Concert which will be taking place in the Assembly Hall on the 15th, 16th & 17th of December. The staff have put a tremendous amount of work into preparing the children. The children are really excited and looking forward to performing for you, your family and friends. The concert will commence at 7.00pm each night. The following classes will perform on the night as listed below. Tickets will cost €7.50 per adult and €3 per child. Family tickets are also available for €20 for two adults and two or more children. There are a number of families who have more than two children and will be attending two performances. These families will pay for the first night and retain their ticket for the next night. Tickets will be available for purchase next week. The Parents Council are organising raffles for each night. If you would like to contribute a spot prize for these raffles, your gesture would be very much appreciated.
Yours sincerely _________________________________ Teresa Neylon Principal
BUS COLLECTION AT 11:30PM, FRIDAY, 5TH DECEMBER 2014
CHILD’S NAME: _______________________will be collected by
NAME:______________________(BLOCK CAPITALS) PHONE NUMBER ___________________