Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents November 29th 2016
The Caring Kids’ Award was presented to children who made a special effort in being extra kind during Anti Bullying Week; Zuzanna Chelchowska, Eliza Hepworth, Dafne Greco, Darragh O’Keefe, Megan Crimmins, Victoria Mozjes, Jessica O’Shea, Patricia Baran, Grace Rice, Rayanne Marques de Pina, Lauren Casey, Jayne Larkin, Fifth & Sixth class.
Fifth & Sixth class will attend the “High School Musical” presented by Clairin Colllege on Thursday, the 1st of December at a cost of €3 per person.
All classes have been busy making Christmas decorations and writing / drawing festive wishes under the guidance of Mrs. Monson and her class, for Christmas trees located around Athenry.
The Lighting of the Christmas Tree will take place this Friday, the 2nd of December, at 6.30pm at the Square. The Medieval Town Band has been invited once again to perform at the ceremony. The children are putting a lot of hard work into this performance and we would be very grateful if you would support us by being present on this occasion.
All band members (children from 2nd up to 6th class) are requested:-
- To arrive in school at 6:00pm
- To wear their full school uniform & navy tights
- To wear extra layers under the school uniform.
- To wear their hair in plaits, if possible.
- To wear Santa Claus hats or reindeer hair bands (optional).
- Children will be supplied with band sweaters.
- They should bring their coats, in case it is raining
- Children can be collected from the school at 7:10pm.
The Athenry Christmas Lights committee have asked us to let you know that on Sat 3rd of Dec there will be an Art and Crafts Christmas Market in the Community Hall from 12 – 5pm. They are running an Art Competition as part of the event. Children are asked to create a Christmas scene. Entries should be dropped to The Little Bird Toy Shop by 4pm this Fri Dec 2nd (name, age & parent’s contact details on back of picture). Winners will be announced at the Christmas market in the Community Hall on Sat Dec 3rd at 4pm.
Sixth Class and parents are invited to the next Parish Confirmation Mass on Sunday December 4th at 11.00a.m.
Fifth & Sixth class will attend the “All Shook Up” Musical presented by the Presentation College on Wednesday, the 7th of December at a cost of €3 per person.
Children will attend Mass at 11am on Thursday week the 8th of December as it is a Holy Day.
The Green School Committee researched the cost of Christmas cards exchanged between children & staff in the school and have estimated that it would cost €1,435.20. Therefore the Green School Committee are recommending that children do not exchange Christmas Cards at school. This is our way of caring for the environment and reducing the amount of waste paper as well as cutting cost to families due to the current economic climate.
All the children and staff are working extremely hard for our Gala Christmas School Concert which will take place in the Assembly Hall on the 13th, 14th & 15th of December. The staff have put a tremendous amount of work into preparing the children. The children are really excited and looking forward to performing for you, your family and friends.
The concert will commence at 7.00pm each night. The following classes will perform on the different nights, as listed below:
|Tues Dec 13th
||Wed Dec 14th
||Thurs Dec 15th
|Junior Infants A (Ms O’Byrne)
||Junior Infants B (Ms Sheridan)
||Senior Infants C (Ms Tyrrell)
|Senior Infants A (Mr Hanley)
||Senior Infants B
|1st & 2nd Class (Ms Monaghan)
|1st Class (Ms Alani)
|2nd Class (Mr McDonald)
|5th Class (Ms Murray)
Tickets will cost €7.50 per adult and €3 per child. Family tickets are also available for €20 for two adults and two or more children. There are a number of families who have more than two children and will be attending two performances. These families will pay for the first night and retain their ticket for the next night. Tickets will be available for purchase from the office next week.
The following Transition Year students (past pupils) will be on work experience in the school over the next three weeks: Amelia Deacon, Orla De Vere, Aoibhinn Carr, Amy Moore & Edel Carty.
The Parents Council Officials for this school year are: Jeannie Hough (Chairperson), Mary Ryan (Secretary), Eithne Kennedy (Treasurer).
The next meeting will take place on Thursday the 8th of December at 8pm. All parents are welcome to attend any meeting during the year.
Parental assistance is required to help in the running of the Christmas concerts. Last week the Parents Council sent a letter giving an overview of the type of help that would be required for the coming year. For this reason we are now asking for your help.
- We need 14 people to sell tickets at the doors, before each of the concerts. Will you please text your full name and the night that you are available, to the Parents Council phone: 087 4038525.
- The Parents Council will be holding a raffle on each night of the concerts. If you would like to contribute a spot prize for these raffles, your gesture would be very much appreciated.
- Sincere thanks to all the Dads who have so kindly volunteered to put up our new stage this weekend. There is great excitement in the school to see the new stage on Monday!`
- Christmas Holidays – School closes on Thursday, the 22nd of December at 11:45am, school re-opens on Monday Jan 9th
- Parent Teacher Meetings are scheduled for the 25th & 26th of January 2017.
- Grandparents will be invited to Grandparents Day which will take place on Wednesday Feb 1st 2017 as part of Catholic School Week.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal