Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 09 November 19th 2018
The Green School Committee would like to thank all those who donated bags for the “Cash for Clobber” collection. The total raised was €260.
Thank you to all the parents who attended the Parents’ Council AGM. It was a wonderful opportunity for me to meet with the parents. We now have a parent representative for every class in the school, except for Mrs Forde’s class. If you child is in Mrs Forde’s class & you would like to be the class representative for the year ahead, please text the Parents Council on: 087 4038525.
Next Parents Council meeting is Wednesday, December 5th at 7.30pm.
We celebrated Science Week last week with fun science experiments at morning assemblies. Sixth class “launched” the week on Monday with their Foam Rockets. On Tuesday Mrs Murray’s class explained how germs are spread using a balloon & cornflour. On Wednesday Mr Byrne showed us how to make butter and Miss Moloney made a paper helicopter. On Thursday Mrs Greally showed us how to blow up a balloon using vinegar & bread soda and on Friday sixth class demonstrated how to make slime.
There has been an outbreak of head lice reported in Ms Alani’s class. Head lice can spread quickly so it is important to check your child’s hair regularly. The most common sign is itching at the back of the head or neck, so check for tiny white empty egg shells (nits) on hair near the scalp at the back of the neck and behind the ears. Please check your child’s hair regularly and treat the hair immediately, if you find any evidence of head lice. This is the only way to prevent it spreading.
Parents are invited to a special Mass with the children and staff on Presentation Day, Wednesday November 21st at 10.00am in the Church. The staff and children wish all the Presentation Sisters in Athenry a very happy special feast day.
Fifth class will attend the “Beauty & the Beast” musical presented by Clarin Colllege on Thursday, November 22nd at a cost of €3 per person.
Sixth class will be taking the train to Galway on Friday November 23rd to attend a Writing Workshop entitled “Fighting Words” in the Town Hall. Sincere thanks to the Parents Council who are funding the train tickets.
In conjunction with the Galway Science & Technology Festival Ms Tyrrell our Science Co-Ordinator, has organised for an “Xperimental Science Show” to come to our school on Friday November 23rd. Children will have the opportunity to find out about how air pressure works.
Last week the children were given a small flyer which has all the details about the fantastic Family Open Day Exhibition at NUI Galway. This is due to take place on Sunday November 25th. For all details relating to the Festival and the Exhibition, please see www.galwayscience.ie.
Second Class girls and their parents are invited to the Parish Do this in Memory Mass on Sunday, November 25th at 11am.
Fifth & Sixth classes will attend the “Footloose” musical presented by Presentation College on Thursday, December 6th at a cost of €3 per person.
Parent Teacher Meetings
- Parent/Teacher Meetings for Mr McDonald’s 3rd class will take place on Wednesday & Thursday November 28th & 29th.
- Parent teacher meetings for all other classes will take place on Tuesday & Wednesday December 4th & 5th. All children will go home at 1.15pm on both of these days, to facilitate the parent/teacher meetings.
The Literacy Lift Off intensive Reading and Writing programme is continuing in Mrs Forde’s 1st class. Every child will bring home a new book each night (including Friday) and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
Gerry Spellman from the Galway GAA Coaching Committee is continuing to assist the staff in coaching camogie/hurling to Mr Byrne’s 1st class every Friday between now & Christmas.
Timetable of Extra-curricular activities that are currently running in the school:
- Mon: Spanish Club for 5th & 6th class
- Mon: Science Club for 1st class
- Tues: Dance Club for 1st class (last one tomorrow)
- Wed: Club Gaeilge for 2nd & 3rd class (starting this week for 5 weeks)
Dates for Diary:
- Fri Nov 23rd: Acceptances for Presentation College Athenry will be returned
- Sun Nov 25th: 11am “Do this in Memory” mass for First Communion children
- Fri Nov 30th: Band performing at lighting of the Christmas Tree
- Sun Dec 2nd: 11am Confirmation mass
- Sat Jan 19th 9.30am: Presentation College Transition Assessment
- Sat Feb 16th at 12 noon: Confirmation for 6th class
- Sat May 25th at 12 noon: First Holy Communion for 2nd Class
- Athenry Christmas lights will be turned on at 7pm on Friday November 30th. Santa letter pages will be given to the children at this event. Children are invited to write a letter to Santa and bring it to the Christmas Craft fair on Saturday. There will be a prize for the best letter.
- Athenry Christmas Craft Fair in Athenry Community Hall on Saturday December 1st 11am – 5pm.
- Due to circumstances outside their control Stauntons of Loughrea will no longer be in a position to supply our school uniform for sale in their shop. Any remaining stock of our school uniform is currently on sale at a substantial reduction in price.