Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 09 November 14th 2017
Congratulations to all the girls who took part in the County Finals of the Cumann na mBunscoil Annual Cross Country Running Championship last week. Kayla Madden, Leonore Church, Abigail O’Shea and Áine Hardiman were on the Senior Team. They won gold medals, a shield and earned the title “County Galway Champions 2017”. Well done also to the Junior Team, Sophie Hogan, Ciara Murtagh, Wiktoria Piotrowska and Jessica O Shea who completed their race in very strong positions. Special thanks to Mrs. Burke and Mr. Byrne who coach children for athletic events.
A sincere thank you for generously supporting our “Monster Cash for Clobber” collection today.
The next Parents Council Meeting is scheduled for this Thursday November 16th at 8pm. If you could not attend the AGM and would like to become a member, please come to the meeting. All parents are welcome to attend any meeting during the year.
The Parents Council have signed up for a fund-raiser with www.designacard.ie. Each child has designed their own Christmas Card. Samples were sent home last week. If you wish to order anything, please complete the order form and put it & the exact amount of money due, into the envelope provided. Envelopes need to be returned to the office by Friday of this week (November 17th). This is to ensure that the printers have sufficient time to process the orders and get them back to the school in plenty of time for Christmas. A portion of the sales price will come back to the school and be used by the Parents’ Council to fund buses, workshops, treats etc.
The four senior classes (3rd to 6th) will participate in Peace Proms this year. Our pupils will perform their repertoire with other primary schools in the county, in NUI Galway on Sunday January 21st at 8pm. Tickets will go on sale to the general public from this Friday November 17th. However, there is a “pre-sale” of tickets for parents of children who are taking part. These are available on the www.peaceproms.com website. Click on “Buy Tickets”. You will be asked for a code / password. This is: galsun8 This gives parents the option to avail of early bird prices. Please ensure that you select tickets for the correct date, time & venue, as tickets will not be refunded or exchanged!
The senior team will participate in the Connacht Finals of the Athletic Association Irish Primary Schools Cross Country Championship in Roscommon this Saturday, November 18th. Kayla Madden, Leonore Church, Abigail O’Shea, Ciara Walsh, Áine Hardiman and Mia Lukina are on the senior team.
The staff and I wish to further equip and develop our play corners for a programme called Aistear which is implemented in Junior & Senior Infants. If parents or friends wish to kindly donate any of the following items, we would be very grateful: Playmobil mini figures (boys, girls, man, woman etc), People figures (boys , girls, man, women etc), Postman Pat figure and accessories, Fireman Sam figure and accessories, Thomas and Friends (mini trains for our small world play area), Lego bricks, blocks, gears, bristle blocks, Hats, scarves (for dress up area)., Doctors kit, Cash registers, Market Stands, Play sets etc.
Please note places will be limited, need to be booked in advance and are on a first come, first served basis. If you are paying by cheque, please make the cheque payable to the teacher.
- Ms Maria Monaghan is providing a Yoga Club to children in 3rd, 4th & 5th classes on Monday’s from 2.30-3.30pm for 6 weeks at a cost of €18. First session commenced on Monday November 13th.
- The 5th and final session of Art Club for Senior Infants will take place on Tuesday, November 21st from 2.45pm – 3.45pm.
- Ms Aishling Tyrrell is providing Science Club to children in Senior Infant classes on Wednesdays from 2.30-3.30pm for 5 weeks at a cost of €25. First session will commence on Wednesday, November 15th.
- Mr Hanley will commence coaching selected children for Table Quiz competitions on Wednesdays from 2.30-3.30pm, commencing on Wednesday, November 15th.
- Mr Byrne will provide a Sports Club to children in 1st class on Wednesday’s from 2.30-3.30pm for 5 weeks at a cost of €15. First session will commence on Wednesday November 22nd.
The Galway Science & Technology Festival is taking place from Monday November 13th to Sunday November 26th. Ms Tyrrell our Science Co-Ordinator, has organised certain classes to conduct fun exciting experiments at morning assemblies. She is encouraging all of us to use our “science eyes” in our everyday lives – we should Stop, Think, Wonder, Ask and Learn. Ms Tyrrell has also organised for an Exploration Dome (mobile digital planetarium) to come to our school on Friday week November 24th. Children will have the opportunity to view the wonders of the universe, learn about the constellations & the planets followed by a movie.
Anti Bullying Week will take place next week, November 20th – 24th. The theme this year is “All Different All Equal”. The idea is to help children celebrate what makes them & others unique, understand why it is important that every child feels included in school & to be themselves without fear of bullying. Morning assemblies will focus on this theme and the staff will teach many interesting lessons on this topic.
Parents are invited to a special Mass with the children and staff on Presentation Day, Tuesday November 21st at 10.00am in the Church. The Board of Management will kindly provide refreshments for all the pupils to acknowledge this occasion as Scoil Chroí Naofa is a Presentation school. The staff and children wish all the Presentation Sisters in Athenry a very happy special feast day.
The 2nd class children from Scoil Chroí Naofa who are preparing for First Holy Communion, will be co-ordinating the Do this in Memory mass on Sunday November 26th at 11am in the church.
Fifth & Sixth class will attend the “Hairspray” musical presented by Clarin Colllege on Thursday, November 23rd at a cost of €3 per person.
Parent Teacher Meetings
- Carey & Mrs. Forde will have their Parent Teacher Meeting on Friday the 24th of November. Appointments will be sent out this week. If date and time do not suit, please ring secretary to arrange another date and time if necessary.
- Parent/Teacher Meetings have been rescheduled for Tuesday and Thursday, November 28th & 30th for all other classes except Junior Infants, as children from 3rd to 6th are required to attend a Peace Proms Rehearsal in Leisureland on November 29th at 12.30pm. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal