Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 08 November 7th 2017
Mrs Hennessey’s Healthy School Committee hosted a “Trick or Treat” event in aid of Temple Street Children’s Hospital, Dublin. A very sincere thank you to all for your generous support . The sum of €787 was raised. Emma in third class attends the hospital . She will very proudly present them with a cheque on her next visit.
Each family will receive an extract from our Whole School Self Evaluation Report for 2016/2017. This report incorporates all activities of the Board of Management, Staff, Student Council, Parents’ Council, Green School Committee, Diversity Committee, Healthy School Committee & Active School Committee, a list of Professional Development Courses attended by the staff, and all the activities that have taken place in the school from Junior Infants up to Sixth Class from September 2016 to June 2017 in the various curricular areas.
The two week Maths Blast programme commenced in Ms Alani’s 1st class yesterday.
The five week Literacy Lift Off programme commenced in Mrs. Murray’s Senior Infants class yesterday. Every child will bring home a new book each night & parents are asked to read this book with their child.
Miss Sheridan who teaches Junior Infants and Mr Wallace who used to teach in our school, are getting married this Friday, November 10th. Our whole school wish them both a very special, memorable day & a lifetime of health & happiness.
Congratulations to Rose Anna Pestka who has been selected a prize winner in the Credit Union Art Competition. Presentation of prizes will take place at Credit Union on Friday November 10th at 8pm.
The County Finals of Cumann na mBunscoil Annual Cross Country Running Championship will take place in Renmore this Friday November 10th. Kayla Madden, Leonore Church, Abigail O’Shea and Áine Hardiman are on the Senior Team. Kerri O’Driscoll, Anna Rohan, Sophie Hogan and Wiktoria Piotrowska are on the Junior Team.
Sixth Class and parents are invited to the Parish Confirmation Mass this Sunday, November 12th at 11am.
Anti Bullying Week will take place next week, November 13th – 17th. The theme this year is “All Different All Equal”. The idea is to help children celebrate what makes them & others unique, understand why it is important that every child feels included in school & to be themselves without fear of bullying. Morning assemblies will focus on this theme and the staff will teach many interesting lessons on this topic.
The Green School Committee are planning a “Monster Cash for Clobber” for November 14th. If you have any of the following unwanted items, please put them in refuse bags and drop them into the school – Good Quality Clothing, Shoes, Belts, Towels, Curtains, Bed linen, Handbags, etc. No duvets pillows or soiled items will be accepted.
The next Parents Council Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday November 14th at 8pm. If you could not attend the AGM and would like to become a member, please come to the meeting. All parents are welcome to attend any meeting during the year.
Please note places will be limited, need to be booked in advance and are on a first come, first served basis. If you are paying by cheque, please make the cheque payable to the teacher.
- Ms Maria Monaghan will provide a Yoga Club to children in 3rd, 4th & 5th classes on Monday’s from 2.30-3.30pm for 6 weeks at a cost of €18. First session will commence on Monday November 13th.
- There will be no Art Club for Senior Infants next Tuesday November 14th. The 5th and final session will take place on Tuesday, November 21st from 2.45pm – 3.45pm.
- Ms Aishling Tyrrell will provide a Science Club to children in Senior Infant classes on Wednesdays from 2.30-3.30pm for 5 weeks at a cost of €25. First session will commence on Wednesday week, November 15th.
- Mr Hanley will commence coaching selected children for table quiz competitions on Wednesdays from 2.30-3.30pm, commencing on Wednesday of next week, November 15th.
The Galway Science & Technology Festival is taking place from Monday November 13th to Sunday November 26th. Teachers will make a special effort in teaching interesting science lessons and conducting exciting experiments. Ms Tyrrell our Science Co-Ordinator, has organised for an Exploration Dome (mobile digital planetarium) to come to our school on Friday November 24th. Children will have the opportunity to view the wonders of the universe, learn about the constellations & the planets followed by a movie.
The Parents Council have signed up for the fund-raiser with www.designacard.ie. Each child has designed their own Christmas Card. A sample will be sent home this week, giving you the option to purchase a pack of Christmas cards designed by your child. A portion of the sales price will come back to the school and be used by the Parents’ Council to fund buses, workshops, treats etc.
Parent Teacher Meetings
- Carey & Mrs. Forde will have their Parent Teacher Meeting on Friday the 24th of November. Appointments will be sent out next week. If date and time do not suit, please ring secretary to arrange another date and time if necessary.
- Parent/Teacher Meetings have been rescheduled for Tuesday and Thursday, November 28th & 30th for all other classes except Junior Infants, as children from 3rd to 6th are required to attend a Peace Proms Rehearsal in Leisureland on November 29th at 12.30pm. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
- Junior Infant Teachers will have their Parent Teacher Meetings on the 24th and 25th of January.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal