Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 07 October 23rd 2018
The Green School Committee wish to inform you that our first Park & Stride Day will take place tomorrow Wednesday October 24th from the car park beside Kenny Park at 8.50am. Children are encouraged to wear their high-visibility vests or arm bands. Junior Infants have been provided with high-viz vests. Staff will be present at the venue from 8.30am. If for any reason you cannot drop off your child at Kenny Park, the doors of the school will be open at the normal time.
The Students Council (6th class) have brought forward their Annual Bake Sale to Thursday October 25th this year. We as a school wish to support the great work being done by parents of our Community in raising funds to re-open the Athenry Playground. The Playground is a fantastic facility that is used by nearly all the children in our school. Please support the Bake Sale by sending in baked goods and all proceeds will go to this very important cause. Let’s get our playground open again!!!
Please note that school is open on Friday October 26th for a full school day. It is only the Boys School which closes to facilitate voting in the Presidential Election and the Referendum. The children will get their holidays for mid-term break on Friday. They may come to school in their Halloween costumes if they wish.
Mr. McDonald is the co-ordinator of the Active School Committee. We are participating in the Super Troopers Programme again this year which is designed to encourage children to be active for 60 minutes on a daily basis. The children will be provided with homework activity journals after mid-term break. These are filled with fantastic fun activities to do at home which are designed to help children to increase agility, strength, balance and overall activity levels along with fortnightly healthy lifestyle tips & reflection activities. Please encourage your child to complete the physical activity homework on a daily basis
The Green School Committee are planning a “Monster Cash for Clobber” for November 6th. They are requesting all families to do a big Tidy Up during the Halloween break. If you have any of the following unwanted items, please put them in refuse bags – Good Quality Clothing, Shoes, Belts, Towels, Curtains, Bed linen, Handbags, etc. No duvets pillows or soiled items will be accepted.
The Literacy Lift Off intensive Reading and Writing programme will commence in Mrs Forde’s 1st class after the mid-term break. Every child will bring home a new book each night (including Friday) and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
Extra Curricular Activities: If your child wishes to enrol in the following activities please pay by cash/cheque payable to the teacher. Bookings are on a first come first serve basis.
- Mrs Murray (B.A. Degree in Spanish) will be offering a Spanish Club for 5th & 6th class girls. The cost is €25 and it will run for 5 weeks. Classes begin on Monday November 5th from 2:30 to 3:30pm. Emphasis will be on spoken Spanish and will also include Fun games & activities, Spanish food tasting, Spanish songs / Christmas traditions.
Dates for Diary:
- Wed Oct 24th: Closing date for applications to Presentation College Athenry
- Mon Oct 29th – Fri Nov 2nd: Mid-term break
- Fri Nov 23rd: Acceptances for Presentation College Athenry will be returned
- Fri Nov 30th: Band performing at lighting of the Christmas Tree
- Sat Jan 19th 9.30am: Presentation College Transition Assessment
- Sat Feb 16th at 12 noon: Confirmation for 6th class
- Sat May 25th at 12 noon: First Holy Communion for 2nd Class
Cathríona Cronin (Acting Principal) Veronica Murray (Acting Deputy Principal)