Dear Parents Issue: 07 January 14th 2022
The staff and I hope you and your families had a very happy & peaceful Christmas. We wish you health and blessings for this New Year.
- Thank you to pupils and parents for all your efforts to date, in adhering to all the current public health guidelines. We appreciate your support and co-operation with all the new measures that have been implemented by the Department.
- Given the ever-changing rules, regulations and guidance, we would ask all parents to please check the HSE website for the most current guidelines. Scoil Chroí Naofa do not place any additional restrictions on parents. We will implement whatever the current public health guidance is, at a given time.
- Links to the latest guidance: https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/ and
Enrolments for September 2022:
- Enrolment forms for pupils due to start school in September 2022 are available from the office. The closing date for receipt of completed forms is Monday February 14th.
- Due to the high interest for places, please ensure any siblings who are due to start in September 2022 have their information in on time. Thank you!
Staff Meeting Term 2:
- There will be a half day on Thursday January 27th to facilitate a staff meeting. All children will go home at 1.15pm.
Presentation College Athenry:
Information for 6th class girls:
- Transition assessments scheduled to be held on Jan 20th is postponed due to the spike in Covid 19 cases. It is planned that they will be held later this year. A further update will be issued
- Further information about the CAT4 assessment will issue in February
- The school uses the Compass Administration system. Parents / Guardians will receive user set up details next week. Once this process is completed information will be sent to you regarding payment for book rental and voluntary contribution
- Please email a copy of your child’s birth certificate to [email protected] if you have not done so already
- Congratulations to Miss Feeney’s 3rd class on having the Best Attendance for the month of December.
Christmas Jumper Fundraiser:
- The school held a Christmas Jumper fundraiser on Tuesday December 21st in aid of the Athenry Christmas lights committee. We raised €350 for the committee and they were so grateful for our contribution. Sincere thanks to everyone who donated.
- This week all children from Junior Infants to 1st class received a booklet entitled “Parent Power: Transforming the health & wellbeing of our children”
- The booklet is produced by “Planet Youth”
- Planet Youth is the implementation, in Mayo, Roscommon & Galway, of the Icelandic Primary Prevention model. Every 2 years Planet Youth surveys all of the 15 & 16 year olds in our post primary schools to gather information about how our teenagers are doing. The information is then used to develop positive preventative actions for the younger children coming behind them.
- The project has distributed a Guidelines for Parents booklet to all incoming 1st year parents since 2019 and this new Parent Power booklet is an extension of that part of the overall project
- The booklets contain some simple guidance tips on the following areas: Family Time, Sleep & Bedtimes, Screen Time, Hobbies & Sports, Making changes at home, Parents working together (Parent Power)
- Sean Pokall (Confirmation co-ordinator for Athenry parish) has commenced the Confirmation programme with the girls in both Mrs Monson’s and Mr Kelly’s 6th classes this week.
- The girls in both Mr Kelly’s (5th & 6th) & Mrs Monson’s (6th) classes are provisionally booked to go on a “school retreat” to Knock Shrine in Mayo on Friday Feb 11th. This trip will go ahead, if the public health situation at the time allows.
- The cost of the retreat is €10 per person
- Sincere thanks to the Parents Council for funding the price of the bus fare to Knock for the girls
- Catholic Schools week is happening from January 23rd to 30th. The theme this year is “Living Life to the Full”. It will be celebrated in all classes.
- Grandparents’ day falls on Wednesday January 26th this year.
- We have a long tradition of celebrating Grandparents day in Scoil Chroí Naofa – it has been one of the highlights of the school calendar!
- Unfortunately the current public health guidelines mean that we can’t celebrate it in the usual way, but this will not stop us from acknowledging the very important role all the grandparents of Scoil Chroí Naofa play in all of our lives.
- All the classes will be marking this very special day in their own way this year.
- Dale Treadwell will visit all the Junior Infant, Senior Infant, First and Second classes in February.
- Dale is well known for his boundless enthusiasm for all things in the world of nature. His visits introduce the children to the 5 Bs of Biodiversity: bugs; butterflies; bees; bats and birds through interactive, fun and hands-on activities. Dale has worked with the Australian National Parks and Wildlife Service and presented on children’s television in Ireland for 10 years.
- The aquatics strand of our PE Curriculum (swimming) takes place when a pupil is in 3rd class.
- The current 4th and 5th class girls have not yet had the chance to avail of this opportunity, because of the different lockdowns over the last two years
- In May of this year it is our intention to take the girls in 3rd, 4th and 5th classes (in their class bubbles) to the Raheen Woods for swimming lessons. The lessons will be Monday to Thursday.
- More specific details will be confirmed closer to the time.
Dates for Diary & School Closures:
- Thursday Jan 27th – Staff meeting Term 2. All children go home at 1.15pm
- Monday Feb 7th to Friday Feb 11th – annual book fair with Tara Book Co. (on line)
- Monday February 21st to Friday February 25th: Mid-term break
- Thursday March 10th – Staff training Term 2 (PLC webinar). All children go home at 1.15pm
- Thursday March 17th & Friday March 18th – school is closed for St. Patrick’s day
- Tuesday March 22nd: School Photographer
- Monday April 11th to Friday April 22nd: Easter Holidays
- Athenry Hockey club: Introductory Taster session this Sunday January 16th:
- Players from 6yrs to 14yrs @ 3.30-4.30pm
- Social Hockey Adults of all ages @ 2.30-3.30pm
- Venue: Athenry FC Astro Pitch, Moanbaun (H65 NY66)
- Currently enrolling players (6-14yrs & Adults of all ages) & club officials
- Check out Athenry Swans Hockey club on Facebook or see website for more details: www.athenryswanshockeyclub.ie/clubmembership
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness with Laurie:
- Athenry Community Hall, Thursdays @ 3.30pm starting Jan 6th
- Children aged 5-12
- 8 week term is €70
- For further information phone Laurie on 087 0569552
- Dramatastic: Musical Theatre and Drama
- Starting Monday Jan 17th until Mon Feb 21st in Raheen Woods hotel
- Cost: €75 for 6 weeks (75min class)
- Junior class (Junior & Senior Infants): 3.15-4.30pm
- Intermediate class (1st, 2nd & 3rd class): 4.30-5.45pm
- Senior class (4th, 5th & 6th class): 5.45-7.00pm
- Contact Ciara on Facebook (Dramatastic Galway) or WhatsApp on (089) 4338244
Athbhliain faoi mhaise daoibh go léir