Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 05 October 17th 2015
In the interests of child protection and health & safety, the following items were addressed at our recent staff meeting.
- Head Lice: Please check your child’s hair regularly to ensure that any infection of head lice is treated at once. Long hair should be tied back.
- Appointment: We will inform you of dates for Parent Teacher Meetings shortly. If you wish to meet a teacher during the year, please make an appointment through the secretary.
- Signing Out:
If you need to take a child out of school during the school day,
- please collect your child from the classroom during class time and sign your child out on the Sign Out Book at the office.
- parents are advised not to collect children during break times30 -10.45am and 12.00 – 12.30pm as class teachers are not present.
- Please send a note to teachers of Junior Infants and Senior Infants if a different person is collecting you child.
- The shelter in the bottom yard is reserved for the three Senior Infant classes at 1.30pm.
- Please vacate the shelter on wet days for the staff and the children to avoid over-crowding and to ensure children are being sent home with the correct person.
- Please do not collect your senior infant child from the class line until they have entered the shelter.
- Children will not be allowed to leave until parents/minders approach the child and teacher.
Please ensure this message is passed on to the person bringing your child to and from school.
Congratulations to the following girls on the senior team who participated in the Connacht Finals of the Athletic Association Irish Primary Schools Cross Country Championship which was held at the Sligo Institute of Technology on Saturday; Kayla Madden, Leonore Church, Abigail O’Shea, Ciara Walsh, Aine Hardiman and Amy Crimmins. The team were awarded 3rd place in Connacht on the day. We are all very proud of their achievements. Special thanks to Mr Wallace who coaches children for athletic events.
Maths Week is celebrated this week all over Ireland. Children will engage in many fun activities. Encourage your child to look for Maths in your home, on your way to school, in the Church, in the shops etc.
The Literacy Lift Off intensive Reading and Writing programme has commenced in Ms. Alani’s class today for a five week period. Every child will bring home a new book each night and parents are asked to read this book with their child. It is very important that the children are in school on time as the programme commences after prayers.
The Parents Council wish to invite all parents to attend the Annual General Meeting for all Parents which will take place tomorrow Tuesday the 18th of October at 8.00pm in the new extension. The following is the Agenda: Minutes of the AGM 2015, Parents Council Report, Treasurer’s Report, Principal’s Report, Parent’s Council 2016 & AOB.
TY students from Coláiste an Eachréidh will continue to coach Spike Ball to 5th & 6th class on Tuesdays.
Second class children will commence Tin Whistle this week. They need to purchase tin whistles in C which are available in the office at a cost of €6.
School ties are also available in the office at a cost of €2.50.
Information Open Nights for parents and sixth class girls enrolling in second level education:
- Vocational School on Tuesday, the 17th October at 7.30pm
- Presentation College on Thursday, the 19th of October at 7.00pm.
- Coláiste an Eachréidh: Dé Céadaoin 26ú Deireadh Fómhair 2016, 7.30pm
Mrs. Monson’s class has been invited to attend a session in the Athenry Library with the author Brian Gallagher who has written a book entitled Friend or Foe.
Gerry Spellman from the Galway GAA Coaching Committee will continue to assist the staff in coaching camogie/hurling to various classes every second Friday throughout the year commencing Friday week the 14th of October. He has started coaching with Mr. Wallace’s class.
Mr. McDonald is the co-ordinator of the Active School Committee. We are participating in the Super Troopers Programme again this year which is designed to encourage children to be active for 60 minutes on a daily basis. The children will be provided with homework activity journals. These are filled with fantastic fun activities to do at home designed to help pupils increase agility, strength, balance and overall activity levels along with fortnightly healthy lifestyle tips/reflection activities. Please encourage your child to complete the physical activity homework on a daily basis.
The Green School Committee wish to inform you that our first Park & Stride Day will take place on Tuesday the 25th of October from the car park beside Kenny Park at 8.50am. Children are encouraged to wear their high-visibility vests or arm bands. Ms O’Byrne’s class have been provided with high-viz vests & we are currently awaiting the order for Ms Sheridan’s class. Staff will be present at the venue from 8.30am. If for any reason you cannot drop off your child at Kenny Park, the doors of the school will be open at the normal time.
Mrs Hennessey’s Healthy School Committee are going to host a “Trick or Treat” event on Friday week, the 28th of October in aid of Temple St. Children’s hospital, Dublin. Children may come to school dressed in Halloween costumes and can donate €2. All monies donated will go towards the purchase of critical Digital X-Ray equipment which plays an absolutely crucial life-saving role.
Children will have no school from Monday to Friday, the 31st October to the 4th November due to Mid Term Break.
The staff and I wish to equip and develop our play corners. If parents or friends wish to kindly donate any items to the school such as Lego, Duplo, toys, books, educational games, construction toys, clothes for dressing up, items for imaginative play, etc, we would be most grateful. We are very grateful to parents who have donated items to equip our libraries and play corners.
The staff welcome support from parents with the education of our children. If you have any skills that you wish to offer the school, e.g. Information Technology, Sport, Art, Music, Dance, Crochet, Embroidery, Sewing, Cooking, Baking, etc. Please contact Principal.
The Green School Committee are planning a “Monster Cash for Clobber” for the 9th of November. They are requesting all families to do a big Tidy Up during the Halloween break. If you have any of the following unwanted items, please put them in refuse bags – Good Quality Clothing, Shoes, Belts, Towels, Curtains, Bed linen, Handbags, etc. No duvets pillows or soiled items will be accepted. The school will receive €4 for each bag.
- Three teams participating in the Annual Library Table on Tuesday the 25th of October.
- Cumann na mBunscoil Cross Country Running event taking place on Wednesday the 26th of October.
- Mid term break is Oct 31st to Nov 4th. School re-opens on Monday Nov 7th.
- Dentist visiting on Friday the 11th of November to check children in 2nd and 6th classes.
- MMR vaccine for Junior Infants on the 22nd & 23rd of November.
- Lighting of the Christmas Tree on Friday the 2nd of December.
- Confirmation on the 18th of February.
- First Holy Communion on the 28th of May.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal