Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 05 October 9th 2018
October is “Mission Month”. We will celebrate a National Day of Prayer for Children on Friday morning, October 12th. We will pray the Mission Rosary together at assembly.
This week we are celebrating World Space Week 2018 which is being co-ordinated by Ms Tyrrell. The general theme is Ireland’s first satellite. In 2020, Ireland will launch its very first satellite and it’s called EIRSAT-1. EIRSAT-1 is an astronomical satellite that will conduct 3 experiments in space. It is built by a team in UCD under the European Space Agency “Fly your Satellite” program. Students in 3rd to 6th classes are invited to enter the EIRSAT-1 Mission Patch Design Competition. Students in Junior classes can cut out and assemble their own EIRSAT-1 satellite or complete a colouring page of EIRSAT-1. Further links on EIRSAT-1 website www.eirsat1.ie.
HSE Consent Forms have been given to all the Junior Infants in respect of School Health Programme 2018-2019. Parents should complete these forms and return them to the school as soon as possible.
- Band practice will commence this week. If your child has been selected to play the Melodica, Accordion or Bell Lyre, a rental fee of €15 will be required.
- If children need to purchase Tin Whistles, they are available from office at a cost of €7.
- Second class children will commence Tin Whistle next week. They need to purchase tin whistles in the key of C, which are available from the office at a cost of €7.
The Dentist will visit 2nd & 6th classes on Friday, October 12th. Dental consent forms have been distributed. Please return it asap, if you have not already done so.
The Students Council (6th class) will be bringing forward their Annual Bake Sale to Thursday October 25th this year. We as a school wish to support the great work being done by parents of our Community in raising funds to re-open the Athenry Playground. The Playground is a fantastic facility that is used by nearly all the children in our school. Please support the Bake Sale by sending in baked goods and all proceeds will go to this very important cause. Let’s get our playground open again!!!
Transition Year Students from Coláiste an Eachréidh are continuing to coach the two senior classes in Spike ball every Thursday during school hours. After the 6 weeks of coaching, the girls will take part in a Blitz.
Mr Byrne & Mr McDonald have selected a junior & senior team to participate in the semi-finals of the Cumann na mBunscoil Athletics Championship, which will take place in Renmore on Friday October 19th.
Junior Team: Lucy Ryan, Alice Church, Kacie Lally, Rebecca Casey, Megan Crimmins, Anna Rohan, Sophie Murray.
Senior Team: Aoibhe Rohan, KaceyLeigh Ward, Victoria Lundstrom, Margaret Donohue, Wiktoria Piotrowska, Aaliyah Daly. Thank you to the Parents Council for financing the bus.
John Morris from the Football Association of Ireland will provide a Football Workshop to 4th class on Tuesday October 24th, entitled Show Racism the Red Card.
As part of Mrs Neylon’s wishes before she retired, a new suite of iPads has been purchased for the children of the school. Each child will now have their own individual iPad during their technology slot. We are hoping to kick off a programme of “paired iPads” again this year, between the junior and senior classes where the senior girls buddy the younger children in the use and enjoyment of iPads.
The Literacy Lift Off intensive Reading and Writing programme is continuing in Mr Byrne’s 1st class. Every child will bring home a new book each night (including Friday) and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
Some children have a severe nut allergy. The staff and I are seeking your co-operation in providing your child with fruit/veg for first break. Children are not allowed to bring any food out to the yard except fruit/veg.
The Green School Committee are planning a “Monster Cash for Clobber” for November 6th. They are requesting all families to do a big Tidy Up during the Halloween break. If you have any of the following unwanted items, please put them in refuse bags – Good Quality Clothing, Shoes, Belts, Towels, Curtains, Bed linen, Handbags, etc. No duvets pillows or soiled items will be accepted.
If you change address, email or phone numbers, please inform secretary so she can update school records.
School ties are available in the office at a cost of €3.
Information Open Nights for parents of sixth class girls enrolling in second level education:
- Clarin College Tuesday October 9th at 7.30pm
- Coláiste an Eachréidh: Tuesday October 16th at 7.30pm
- Presentation College on Thursday, the 18th of October at 4.45pm.
Extra Curricular Activities:
- Miss Moloney is offering a Dance class for 1st class children for 6 weeks starting today Tuesday Oct 9th from 2.30-3.30pm. Children can wear their socks & bring in a pair of tracksuit bottoms / leggings to change into.
- Miss Tyrrell (B.Sc Degree in Science) is providing a Science club for Senior Infants pupils for 5 weeks which started last Wednesday October 3rd from 2:30 to 3:30pm.
- Mrs Murray (B.A. Degree in Spanish) is offering a Spanish Club for 3rd & 4th class girls for 5 weeks which started last Wednesday October 3rd from 2:30 to 3:30pm.
Dates for Diary:
- Wed Oct 24th: Closing date for applications to Presentation College Athenry
- Fri Nov 23rd: Acceptances for Presentation College Athenry will be returned
- Fri Nov 30th: Band performing at lighting of the Christmas Tree
- Sat Jan 19th 9.30am: Presentation College Transition Assessment
- Sat Feb 16th at 12 noon: Confirmation for 6th class
- Sat May 25th at 12 noon: First Holy Communion for 2nd Class
Cathríona Cronin (Acting Principal) Veronica Murray (Acting Deputy Principal)