Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 05 October 3rd 2017
Scoil Chroí Naofa took part in the Be Active School campaign during the European week of Sport under the guidance of Mr. McDonald and the Active School Committee.
- Each class took part in the Run Around Europe Challenge. The challenge consisted of all classes walking or running as many laps of the school yard as possible for 15 minutes per day (1 lap = 1km). Some classes did extras over the course of the day at break times. Each child’s total was recorded to make a class total. The total was then compared to the distances of capital cities in other countries from Ireland. This was plotted on the Run Around Europe Challenge Board displayed in the hall. The following were some of cities they passed through; Dublin, London, Brussels, Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Copenhagen, Germany, Rome, Lichtenstein and Belgrade. In total SCN walked and ran 20,959km. The average numbers of laps that each child ran was 57 laps which worked out at 11 laps per day per child. By Friday we had reached Wellington in New Zealand.
- The end of the week culminated in the Pupil v’s Staff Challenge. Leonore, Kayla and Abigail from 6th class challenged the teachers Ms. Tyrrell. Mr. Carey and Mr Byrne. The three challenges consisted of Burpees, Face-to-face skipping and Tennis Volleys. There was a very high level of fun and competitiveness on both sides!! The final result ended in a draw.
Congratulations to our senior team who were awarded second place in the County Galway Finals of the Athletic Association Irish Primary Schools Cross Country Championship in Renmore last week; Kayla Madden, Leonore Church, Abigail O’Shea, Ciara Walsh, Áine Hardiman and Mia Lukina. Two of the girls also received medals in the individual category, Kayla was awarded third place and Leonore Church was awarded ninth place. The team have qualified to the Connacht Finals which will take place in Roscommon on October the 14th. We are all very proud of their achievements. Special thanks to Mrs. Burke and Mr. Byrne who coach children for athletic events.
Special thank you to all the parents who attended the talk on Internet Safety last night organised by the Parent’s Council. It was very informative.
A new book has been added to the First class booklist. The book is called Jolly Phonics Grammar 1 and is available for purchase from the office at a cost of €6. All children in First class need to get this book.
Band practice will commence today Tuesday, October the 3rd. If your child has been selected to play the Melodica, Accordion or Bell Lyre, a rental fee of €15 will be required. If children need to purchase Tin Whistles, they are available from the office at a cost of €6.
Second class children will commence Tin Whistle in the next few weeks. They need to purchase tin whistles in the key of C, which are available from the office at a cost of €6.
World Space Week 2017 will take place tomorrow Wednesday from October 4th to 10th. The general theme is our planet, our space and our time. Ms. Tyrrell our Science Co-Ordinator has given all the teachers very interesting lessons on Engineering in Space with a focus on astronauts and the International Space Station.
Mrs. Burke and Ms Tyrrell will select a school team to participate in the INTO Mini 7s Competition which will take place at Carnaun Pitch Athenry tomorrow Wednesday October 4th at 10.30am.
On Wednesday October 4th at 8pm there will be a meeting for parents / guardians of children for First Holy Communion from all the local primary schools, in St. Mary’s Pastoral Centre. At this meeting the Parish Preparation Programme will be explained in great detail. This Meeting is for parents/guardians only.
There will be a Staff Meeting this Thursday, October 5th. Children will go home at 1.15pm.
Transition Year Students from Clarin College will continue to coach the two senior classes in Volley ball on Thursdays during school hours. After the 6 weeks of coaching, the girls will take part in a Blitz.
John Morris from the Football Association of Ireland will provide a Football Workshop to 4th class on Thursday October 5th, entitled Show Racism the Red Card.
We wish to invite you to our Opening of Year Mass in the Church on Friday, October 6th at 10am.
The three week Maths Blast Programme will commence in Mr. Mc Donald’s class on Monday October the 9th.
The Parents Council wish to invite all parents to attend the Annual General Meeting for all Parents which will take place next Tuesday October 10th at 8.00pm in the new extension. The following is the Agenda: Minutes of the AGM 2016, Parents Council Report, Treasurer’s Report, Principal’s Report, Parent’s Council 2017 & AOB.
The children for First Holy Communion will take part in a new initiative this year entitled “Children of the Eucharist” commencing on Tuesday October the 24th. The aim of this programme is to create an awareness of the true presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. It will be led by team leaders Hilary, Kevin Higgins and Caroline O’Gara (Cian and Sophie’s mum). They will guide the children through prayer, stories, rosary, song and sharing and reflecting once a month in the church.
Each year the teachers in the school offer a great variety of after-school activities. Times and dates for these activities vary from year to year according to availability of staff. Below is a list of the activities that will run for the next few weeks. There will be other workshops / clubs offered to different classes at a later date:
- Mr Donncha Carey will provide Basketball Club to children in 4th, 5th & 6th classes on Mondays from 2.30-3.30pm for 4 weeks at a cost of €12. Basketball club commenced Monday October 2nd
- Ms Rebecca Sheridan will provide Art Club to children in Senior Infants on Tuesdays from 2.45-3.45pm for 5 weeks at a cost of €25. Art club commences today Tuesday October 3rd
- Ms Maria Monaghan will provide a Yoga Club to children in 2nd & 3rd classes on Tuesdays from 2.30-3.30pm for 6 weeks at a cost of €18. Yoga club commences today Tuesday October 3rd.
- Ms Aishling Tyrrell will provide a Science Club to children in 1st classes on Wednesdays from 2.30-3.30pm for 5 weeks at a cost of €25. Science club commences on Wednesday October 4th.
Dates for Diary:
- Information Open Nights for parents and sixth class girls enrolling in second level education in Presentation College on Thursday, the 19th of October at 5pm.
- Children of the Eucharist Programme commencing on Tuesday October the 24th.
- Band performing at “Lighting of the Christmas Tree” on Friday December 1st
- Confirmation for 6th class on Saturday February 24th at 2.30pm
- First Holy Communion for 2nd class on Saturday May 26th at 12pm
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal