Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 04 October 5th 2015
In the interests of child protection and health & safety, the following items were addressed at our recent staff meeting.
- Head Lice: An incident of head lice has been reported in Mrs. Murray’s class. Please check your child’s hair regularly to ensure that any infection of head lice is treated at once. Long hair should be tied back.
- Appointment: We will inform you of dates for Parent Teacher Meetings shortly. If you wish to meet a teacher during the year, please make an appointment through the secretary.
- Signing Out:
If you need to take a child out of school during the school day,
- please collect your child from the classroom during class time and sign your child out on the Sign Out Book at the office.
- parents are advised not to collect children during break times30 -10.45am and 12.00 – 12.30pm as class teachers are not present.
- Please send a note to teachers of Junior Infants and Senior Infants if a different person is collecting you child.
- The shelter in the bottom yard is reserved for the three Senior Infant classes at 1.30pm.
- Please vacate the shelter on wet days for the staff and the children to avoid over-crowding and to ensure children are being sent home with the correct person.
- Please do not collect your senior infant child from the class line until they have entered the shelter.
- Children will not be allowed to leave until parents/minders approach the child and teacher.
Please ensure this message is passed on to the person bringing your child to and from school.
- Staff are currently revising School, Class & Golden Rules with the children. Please see a copy of school rules on page 4 and revise/discuss with your child.
Ms Tyrrell is currently providing a Science Club to Senior Infants in Room 3 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 2.30 – 3.30pm, due to a high demand.
Mrs. Burke and Ms Tyrrell selected the school team to participate in the INTO Mini 7s Competition which took place at Coolarne Pitch last Wednesday. The girls were a credit to the school. They won all their matches and qualified to the finals where unfortunately they lost to the Monivea Team. Special thank you to their coaches Mrs. Burke and Ms Tyrrell. A word of thanks also to the Parents Council who financed the bus fare.
Congratulations to Kerri O Driscoll from 3rd class and the following girls on the senior team who participated in the County Galway Finals of the Athletic Association Irish Primary Schools Cross Country Championship in Renmore last week; Kayla Madden, Leonore Church, Abigail O’Shea, Ciara Walsh, Aine Hardiman and Amy Crimmins. The team were awarded County Champions with gold medals on the day. Two of the girls also received medals in the individual category. Kayla was awarded second place and Leonore Church was awarded fifteenth place. The girls have qualified to the Connacht Finals which will take place at the Sligo Race Course on October the 15th. We are all very proud of their achievements. Special thanks to Mr Wallace who coaches children for athletic events.
Congratulations to the following children who have been awarded prizes for making a special effort to speak Irish during the month of September; Shauna Costello, Harry Melia, Aidan Murphy, Owen Ward, Nataniel Drapiewski, Julia Rae Togashi, Amy Li, Patricia Baran, Jason Adanu, Ciara Coffey, Áine Hannon and Naomi Kelly.
Band practice will commence today. If your child is selected to play the Bell Lyre, Melodica or Accordion, a rental fee of €15 will be required. If children need to purchase tin whistles, they are available in the office at a cost of €6.
Second class children will commence Tin Whistle in the next two weeks. They need to purchase tin whistles in C which are available in the office at a cost of €6.
School ties are also available in the office at a cost of €2.50.
We wish to invite you to our Opening of Year Mass in the Church this Friday, the 7th of October at 10am.
Senior Infants and 1st Class will participate in another Whole Class Intervention Programme entitled Maths Blast this year. Mr. Wallace’s class will commence this programme next week for the duration of 3 weeks.
John Morris from the Football Association of Ireland will provide a workshop entitled Show Racism The Red Card followed by a football session to 5th class next Tuesday the 11th of October.
TY students from Coláiste an Eachraidh will coach Spike Ball to 5th & 6th class on Tuesdays commencing the 11th of October.
Gerry Spellman from the Galway GAA Coaching Committee will continue to assist the staff in coaching camogie/hurling to various classes every second Friday throughout the year commencing Friday week the 14th of October.
The Literacy Lift Off intensive Reading and Writing programme will commence in Ms. Alani’s class on Monday week, the 17th of October for a five week period. Every child will bring home a new book each night and parents are asked to read this book with their child. It is very important that the children are in school on time as the programme commences after prayers.
The staff and I wish to equip and develop our play corners. If parents or friends wish to kindly donate any items to the school such as Lego, Duplo, toys, books, educational games, construction toys, clothes for dressing up, items for imaginative play, etc, we would be most grateful.
The staff welcome support from parents with the education of our children. If you have any skills that you wish to offer the school, e.g. Information Technology, Sport, Art, Music, Dance, Crochet, Embroidery, Sewing, Cooking, Baking, etc. Please contact Principal.
- Lighting of the Christmas Tree on Friday the 2nd of December.
- Information Open Nights for parents and sixth class girls enrolling in second level education in Presentation College on Thursday, the 20th of October at 7pm and Clarin College on Tuesday, the 18th of October.
- Confirmation on the 18th of February.
- First Holy Communion on the 28th of May.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal
Please Turn Over for School Rules
- No nuts of any kind are allowed.
- Drinks are not allowed in the school yard.
- Children are required to bring nutritious lunches according to our Healthy Eating Policy
- Chewing gum, crisps, fizzy drinks and glass bottles are not allowed in the school
- Pupils must be punctual at all times. School begins at 8.50am. Afternoon classes begin at 12.30pm. Junior and Senior Infants go home at 1.30pm. Pupils in First Class up to Sixth Class go home at 2.30pm. The Board of Management does not take responsibility for children in the school yard before 8.45pm or after 2.30pm unless they are attending extra-curricular classes.
- The following behaviour is strictly forbidden:-
Shouting and running within the school building, loitering, vandalism, littering, rudeness, giving cheek, bad language, name calling, rough play, kicking, punching, throwing stones, scratching or scraping.
All types of bullying including Cyber Bullying and Racial Bullying are unacceptable and strictly forbidden.
- The correct full school uniform must always be worn with suitable, safe, flat footwear.
- The full school uniform must be worn for the Confirmation Ceremony.
- Long hair should always be tied back.
- Make-up is strictly forbidden.
- Jewellery must be kept to a minimum.
- Only small safe earrings are acceptable i.e. studs, sleepers. No large hoops or long dangling earrings are allowed.
- Nose jewellery is strictly forbidden.
- Long necklaces or chains are not allowed.
- Nails should be kept short. Long/False nails are forbidden.
- Runners, tracksuits or shorts & t-shirts must be worn for Physical Education.
- Children who have been absent from school must bring a written explanation to the teacher/principal.
- Children must follow the safe route in and out of the school grounds, i.e. to enter through the stiles, to follow route set out by green fence, to walk behind the prefab and into playground or to enter from the upper playground.
- During school hours children are not allowed to leave the school premises without permission from parents.
- Children are not allowed into the school building during playtime without permission.
- All types of mobile phones are forbidden