Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 04 October 3rd 2018
A huge thank you to everyone who helped to make Mrs Neylon’s last week at school such a memorable time. It was an enormous team effort. Thanks to the pupils, the staff and the parents who all played their role in honouring her incredible legacy and thanking her for her unwavering dedication & commitment to the school over the last 24 years. We are all going to miss her very much and it will take us some time to get used to Scoil Chroí Naofa without her!
The Board of Management wish to thank Mr Tom Lane most sincerely for his commitment to the Board of Management over the past 20 years. Mr Fergal Melia (Harry’s father) has now succeeded him as the new Treasurer of the Board of Management for the remainder of the term.
Last week Scoil Chroí Naofa took part in the Be Active School campaign during the European Week of Sport under the guidance of Mr. McDonald and the Active School Committee.
- Each class took part in the Tour of Europe Challenge. The challenge consisted of all classes walking or running as many laps of the school yard as possible for 15 minutes per day (1 lap = 1km). Some classes did extras over the course of the day at break times. Each child’s total was recorded to make a class total. The total was then compared to the distances to different world landmarks from Ireland. The following were some of the landmarks they passed through e.g. the Spire in Dublin, Big Ben in London, the Eifel Tower in Paris, the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin etc. In total SCN walked and ran over 8,000km.
- The end of the week culminated in the Pupil v’s Staff Challenge. Aoife Bergin, Wiktoria Piotrowska & Alison McGreevy challenged the teachers Ms. Tyrrell. Ms. Moloney and Mr Byrne. The three challenges consisted of Push-ups, Skipping and Relay. There was a very high level of fun and competitiveness on both sides!! The final result was that the teachers won 2:1.
Congratulations to Kacie Lally who qualified for the finals of the Athletic Association Irish Primary Schools Cross Country championship which took place in Renmore yesterday.
Mr Byrne & Mr McDonald have selected a junior & senior team to participate in the semi-finals of the Cumann na mBunscoil Athletics Championship, which will take place in Renmore on Friday October 19th.
Junior Team: Lucy Ryan, Alice Church, Kacie Lally, Rebecca Casey, Megan Crimmins, Anna Rohan, Sophie Murray.
Senior Team: Aoibhe Rohan, KaceyLeigh Ward, Victoria Lundstrom, Margaret Donohue, Wiktoria Piotrowska, Aaliyah Daly. Thank you to the Parents Council for financing the bus.
Extra Curricular Activities: If your child wishes to enrol in the following activities please pay by cash/cheque payable to the teacher. Bookings are on a first come first serve basis.
- Miss Moloney will be offering a Dance class for 1st class children. The cost is €18 and it will run for 6 weeks. Classes begin on Tuesday Oct 9th from 2.30-3.30pm. Children can wear their socks and bring in a pair of tracksuit bottoms / legging to change into.
Miss Tyrrell (B.Sc Degree in Science) is providing a Science club for Senior Infants pupils for 5 weeks starting today Wednesday October 3rd from 2:30 to 3:30pm.
Mrs Murray (B.A. Degree in Spanish) is offering a Spanish Club for 3rd & 4th class girls for 5 weeks starting today Wednesday October 3rd from 2:30 to 3:30pm.
Transition Year Students from Coláiste an Eachréidh will coach the two senior classes in Spike ball for the next 6 weeks starting this Thursday October 4th during school hours. After the 6 weeks of coaching, the girls will take part in a Blitz.
The Dentist will visit 2nd & 6th classes on Friday, October 12th. Dental consent forms have been distributed. Please return it asap, if you have not already done so.
Band practice will commence next week. If your child has been selected to play the Melodica, Accordion or Bell Lyre, a rental fee of €15 will be required. If children need to purchase Tin Whistles, they are available from office at a cost of €7.
Second class children will commence Tin Whistle in the next few weeks. They need to purchase tin whistles in the key of C, which are available from the office at a cost of €7.
World Space Week 2018 will take place next week Monday October 8th to 12th and will be co-ordinated by Ms Tyrrell. The general theme is Ireland’s first satellite. In 2020, Ireland will launch its very first satellite and it’s called EIRSAT-1. EIRSAT-1 is an astronomical satellite that will conduct 3 experiments in space. It is built by a team in UCD under the European Space Agency “Fly your Satellite” program. Students in 3rd to 6th classes are invited to enter the EIRSAT-1 Mission Patch Design Competition. Students in Junior classes can cut out and assemble their own EIRSAT-1 satellite or complete a colouring page of EIRSAT-1. Further links on EIRSAT-1 website www.eirsat1.ie.
John Morris from the Football Association of Ireland will provide a Football Workshop to 4th class on Tuesday October 24th, entitled Show Racism the Red Card.
School ties are available in the office at a cost of €3.
The Literacy Lift Off intensive Reading and Writing programme is continuing in Mr Byrne’s 1st class. Every child will bring home a new book each night (including Friday) and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
The Green School Committee are planning a “Monster Cash for Clobber” for November 6th. They are requesting all families to do a big Tidy Up during the Halloween break. If you have any of the following unwanted items, please put them in refuse bags – Good Quality Clothing, Shoes, Belts, Towels, Curtains, Bed linen, Handbags, etc. No duvets pillows or soiled items will be accepted.
Some children have a severe nut allergy. The staff and I are seeking your co-operation in providing your child with fruit/veg for first break. Children are not allowed to bring any food out to the yard except fruit/veg.
If you change address, email or phone numbers, please inform secretary so she can update school records.
Dates for Diary:
- Tues Oct 9th at 7.30pm: Information evening at Clarin College Athenry
- Tues Oct 16th at 7.30pm: Information evening at Coláiste an Eachréidh
- Thurs Oct 18th at 4.45pm: Information evening at Presentation College Athenry
- Wed Oct 24th: Closing date for applications to Presentation College Athenry
- Fri Nov 23rd: Acceptances for Presentation College Athenry will be returned
- Fri Nov 30th: Band performing at lighting of the Christmas Tree
- Sat Jan 19th 9.30am: Presentation College Transition Assessment
- Sat Feb 16th at 12 noon: Confirmation for 6th class
- Sat May 25th at 12 noon: First Holy Communion for 2nd Class
Cathríona Cronin Veronica Murray
Acting Principal Acting Deputy Principal