Dear Parents Issue: 03 September 25th 2018
There will be a Staff Meeting today, Tuesday September 25th. All children will go home at 1.15pm.
Mr Byrne & Mr McDonald have selected a junior & senior team to participate in the semi-finals of the Athletic Association Irish Primary Schools Cross Country Championship, which will take place in Renmore today Tuesday, September 25th. Junior Team: Lucy Ryan, Alice Church, Kacie Lally, Rebecca Casey, Megan Crimmins, Anna Rohan, Sophie Murray. Senior Team: Aoibhe Rohan, KaceyLeigh Ward, Victoria Lundstrom, Margaret Donohue, Wiktoria Piotrowska, Aaliyah Daly. Thank you to the Parents Council for financing the bus.
Miss Tyrrell and Mr. Hanley will select a team to participate in I.N.T.O. Camogie Blitz which will take place in Carnaun pitch on Wednesday September 26th.
It is with pride and joy that the staff and pupils of Scoil Chroí Naofa invite you to share a very Special Mass in the history of our school as we celebrate and honour the retirement of Mrs. Neylon after 25 years exemplary service. This Opening of Year Mass will take place this Thursday, September 27th at 11am in Athenry church. Parents, grandparents, friends and families are all truly welcome. Light refreshments will be provided in the school hall after the Mass. Mrs Neylon is providing treats for the children.
Monday October 1st will be Mrs Neylon’s last day in Scoil Chroí Naofa. The staff, in association with the Parents Council are organising a Fun Day for the children! There will be some surprise guests on the day and lots of fun activities & treats are planned. Children do not need to wear their uniforms on Monday.
This week is European Week of Sport. This Be Active Week is to promote sport & physical activity across Europe. Everyone regardless of age is encouraged to Get Up, Get Out and Get Active. Schools will be active in the classroom and in the playgrounds. Mr McDonald and the Active School committee are organising fun activities during the week which will include:
- A Tour of Europe Challenge; each class will participate in a daily km walk or run activity for 15 minutes. Daily km activity is defined as a moving activity i.e.: walking, jogging, skipping, running etc for 15 minutes each day around the edge of the top yard. All the children will log how many laps of the yard they complete each day. A running total will be kept for each class. A Challenge Chart will show them how far they have to run to reach different landmarks around the world. In this way as the children run, they are having fun and also learning about the world’s famous landmarks.
- Friday September 28th is National Fitness Day for Everybody. Children may come to school in their tracksuits. On this day some of the teachers and pupils will participate in the “Take on the Teacher” Challenge in fun activities.
The brother of Mr. Gerry Farrell (Chairperson of the Board of Management) and mother of Miss O’Byrne’s (Teacher of Second Class) passed away last week. May they both rest in peace. The whole school community wish to send them and their families our heartfelt condolences at this sad time.
The Board of Management wish to thank Mr Bernie Ryan most sincerely for his commitment to the Board of Management and the Parents Council for many years. Mr Julian Drapiewski (Theodore’s father) has now succeeded him as of one of the parent representatives on the Board of Management for the remainder of the term.
Sharon Dolan Darcy from Athenry News & Views visited the school last week to take a photograph of all the new junior infants, which will be advertised in the next edition of the magazine.
Please forward all outstanding monies for books, copies, art & craft, photocopying and Literacy Lift Off to the class teacher immediately.
The Literacy Lift Off intensive Reading and Writing programme commenced in Mr Byrne’s 1st class last week. Every child will bring home a new book each night (including Friday) and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
Please check your child’s hair regularly to ensure that any infection of head lice is treated at once. Long hair should be tied back. An incidence of head lice has been reported in Mr Hanley’s class, Ms Alani’s class and also in Miss Murray’s 5th class.
Class teachers call the roll every day at 10.30am. If your child has an appointment in the morning, please notify the teacher the day before so that your child can be marked present.
The staff and Parents Council have discussed the following and seek your co-operation in the best interests of all children: Birthday invitations should not be distributed on the school premises as it causes upset to the children who are not invited.
Some children have a severe nut allergy. The staff and I are seeking your co-operation in providing your child with fruit/veg for first break. Children are not allowed to bring any food out to the yard except fruit/veg.
If you change address, email or phone numbers, please inform secretary so she can update school records.
Extra Curricular Activities: If your child wishes to enrol in the following activities please pay by cash/cheque payable to the teacher. Bookings are on a first come first serve basis.
- Miss Tyrrell (B.Sc Degree in Science) will provide a Science club for Senior Infants pupils at a cost of €25. Classes begin on Wednesday, October 3rd from 2:30 to 3:30pm and will run for 5 weeks. Places are limited to 25, and will be on a first come first served basis
- Mrs Murray (B.A. Degree in Spanish) will be offering a Spanish Club for 3rd & 4th class girls. The cost is €25 and it will run for 5 weeks. Classes begin on Wednesday October 3rd from 2:30 to 3:30pm. Emphasis will be on spoken Spanish and will also include Fun games & activities, Spanish food tasting, Spanish songs, traditions & dance.
Dates for Diary:
- Confirmation for 6th class on Saturday February 16th at 12 noon
Cathríona Cronin Veronica Murray
Deputy Principal Assistant Principal