Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 26 June 14th 2018
Congratulations to everyone involved in our “Nano & Friends” day last Friday. So much time and work went into the event. It was a wonderful success. Check out our website for photos.
Our “How long is Larry?” fundraiser is going from strength to strength. The total collected to date is €740. Thank you for all the loose change that has been donated. We have almost raised the price of 2 iPads!!
The Best Attendance record for the month of May has been awarded to Ms O’Byrne’s 2nd class.
Please forward to the class teacher a Stamped Self Addressed Envelope for each of your children’s end of year reports, if you have not already done so. Booklists for the next school year will also be included with the reports.
The staff and children welcomed the 74 new Junior Infants for September 2018 to the school yesterday. Sincerest thanks to Eiranne, Mary, Kim & Rachel who looked after serving refreshments to their parents.
We wish Ms Murray (Sports Connaught Co-ordinator), the Special Olympics Connaught team and our local athletes from the Skylark Centre, Bartley, Kevin & Tomasz, the very best of luck in the Special Olympics Ireland Games which take place in Dublin from June 14th to June 17th.
Mrs Greally’s 4th class are participating in the Bizworld School programme run by Bank of Ireland again this year. This nationwide programme involves a two day workshop where children learn about business, money management & enterprise in a fun & creative way. It is based on the ‘Dragon’s Den’ idea where children are put into groups to set up their own company, create a business idea and present their idea to a panel of dragons with the hope that they will invest in their product. Alan Newell from Bank of Ireland delivered the workshops. He assisted the children in groups with setting up their company, agreeing and marketing their idea and finally presenting a pitch for the dragons, with a view to getting them to invest “BizBucks” in their products. The winning team will be presented with certificates on behalf of the whole class on Sunday from 11.45am to 12pm in the Bank of Ireland tent, as part of the Enterprise Town Event in association with the Bia Lover festival. The girls really enjoyed the programme. They learned how to work as a team, problem solve and communicate. It greatly built their confidence as they were empowered to present their ideas to their classmates, the dragons and the local community. Many thanks to Alan Newell, his colleagues and Mary Rohan from Bank of Ireland for giving 4th class the opportunity to take part in this initiative. Special thanks also to the dragons for being so generous with their time.
The next Cash for Clobber collection will take place on Tuesday June 19th. If you have any of the following unwanted items, please put them in refuse bags – Good Quality Clothing, Shoes, Belts, Towels, Curtains, Bed linen, Handbags, etc. No duvets pillows or soiled items will be accepted.
The Students’ Council are holding their annual Bake Sale on Friday, June 22nd. There will be a selection of homemade treats available for children to buy as well as games to play. The Students’ Council would be very appreciative of donations towards their Bake Sale. If you would like to donate cakes, buns, bread or treats please send them to Room 16 on Friday morning. The proceeds will go towards Athenry Tidy Towns Committee.
Parental Assistance is requested for the following events over the next few weeks:
- Serving refreshments in the hall after Graduation Mass: Mon Jun 25th at 12.00 noon.
- Covering books, at a date to be confirmed
- Book rental scheme, at a date to be confirmed
If available, please send a text to Parents’ Council phone number: 087 4038525
Mr. Mc Donald assisted by Mrs. Greally and his class (the Active School Committee) wish to inform you that next week will be Active School Week. Their slogan is Be active! Keep active! Stay active. The emphasis this year will be on walking correctly (moving well & moving often). The Active School Committee will give and model walking tips. See www.scoilnet.ie/pdst/physlit/fms-activities/walking/ for more details.
- Maintain good posture, with body straight, walk tall, head in line with the spine and looking forward.
- Swing arms in a small natural arc in opposition to the feet.
- Step with toes facing forward.
- When planting the foot use a heel-to-toe action
- Knees should bend slightly when the foot makes contact with the ground
There will be a wide variety of fun activities on offer every day:
- Children may come to school in their track suits and runners for the week.
- They are encouraged to be active in their travel as they walk to school
- A “Monster walk with a smile” will take place on Monday, June 18th from the car park beside Kenny Park at 8.50am. Children can wear their high-visibility vests. Staff will be present at the venue from 8.30am. If for any reason you cannot drop off your child at Kenny Park, the doors of the school will be open at the normal time.
- There will be “SuperHero Training Workshop” for Junior Infants on Monday, provided by Laurie
- Our annual Sports Day will take place in Kenny Park on Tuesday. The Student Council are organising a wide variety of fun activities. Our local Special Olympic Athletes may join us for some sporting activities. Our pupils will receive a hot dog/burger very kindly sponsored by Brady’s (Tom’s Dad). Children may bring treats on this special day. Parents are also very welcome.
- Hanley will select staff for a Spike Ball Teacher/Pupil challenge on Wednesday at 12.30pm.
- There will the Ultra Flex Dancing with Kim Somers (Chloe’s Mum) on Thursday.
- Mid week mornings will commence with a wake up shake up assembly presented by the Active School Committee. They will demonstrate and encourage the whole school to participate in some fun exercises, dancing and action songs. They will assign some Super Trouper exercises as active homework.
- Each class and all the staff will participate in the daily mile (1.6km) each day for 15 mins. Daily mile (1.6km) activity is defined as a moving activity i.e. walking, jogging, skipping, running etc around a circuit e.g. the footprints in the bottom yard, the edge of the top yard or around the basket ball court.
- The teachers also have organised a variety of activities , e.g. football leagues, hulahoopathon, skipathon, runathon, jogathon, bizzybreak activities, basketball knockout, teddy bears picnic to the park, summer trails, class disco, drop everything and dance/jog/stretch etc.
- Some classes will complete a daily Active School Journal and or design a jersey for ASW.
- Staff will have their meetings on the move, doing their talking while they are walking.
- Teachers will make optimum use of all recent equipment purchased over the last year e.g. volleyball net, badminton sets, bow & arrow sets.
- We will have Zumba with Sharon in the playground during both breaks on Tuesday week when all the State Exams are over.
- Children will be encouraged to drink water in preference to juices.
- Active Awards will be presented to children who make a special effort in being extra active.
The Board of Management seeks an annual contribution of €30 per child or €50 per family The Board wish to thank again those families who gave a Voluntary Contribution during the year. If you would like to contribute, we would be very grateful for your donation.
- Graduation Mass for 1st class boys and 6th class girls will take place at 11am in school hall on Monday June 25th.
- Final Parents’ Council Meeting will take place on Tuesday, June 26th at 8pm.
- Sixth class girls will get their holidays on Wed June 28th at 2.30pm.
- Ms Monaghan & Ms Tyrrell are holding a Summer Camp for Junior Infants to 2nd class children on the first week in July (Mon 2nd to Fri 6th). Mrs Murray and Mr Hanley are holding a Summer Camp for 3rd to 6th class children on the same week. The Fun Camps will run from 10am – 2pm. Cost is €65 (or family discount of €60 per sibling). Forms have been distributed to the children.
Yours sincerely ___________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal