Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 25 June 5th 2018
Our “How long is Larry?” fundraiser is going from strength to strength. A further €220 was collected bringing the grand total to date to €683.15. The children can’t believe that he is still not fully out of the grass & are very curious to know how long our new pet really is!!! Thank you for all the loose change donated so far. Larry will continue moving up & out of the grass at every €100 interval.
Special thank you to everyone who donated to the “Wear Your Jersey” fundraiser for the local Special Olympics Athletes. The children really enjoyed meeting three of the athletes from the Skylark Centre: Bartley, Kevin & Tomasz. The sum of €500 was raised. This money will go towards some of the expenses of the athletes for the Special Olympics Ireland Games which will take place in Dublin from June 14th to June 17th. We are very proud of Miss Murray who has been volunteering with Special Olympics Connaught for over 20 years and is currently the Sports Co-ordinator for the Connaught team.
Congratulations to the 39 girls in Mr. Mc Donald’s & Ms O’Byrne’s 2nd classes who made their First Holy Communion on May 26th. Many thanks to the Parents’ Council who financed a party for them. A group photo of the girls was taken by Tim Brennan photography on the day. A copy of the photo is available for viewing in the office. If anyone would like to order a copy, it costs €20.
Congratulations to the twelve Athletes who participated in the County Sports last week. Kayla Madden was awarded a bronze medal in the U13 800 metres and Kerri O’Driscoll was awarded a bronze medal in the U11 80 meters. Many thanks to Mr Byrne & Mr McDonald for coaching them. Thanks again to the Parents Council for financing the bus.
The girls in 3rd class really enjoyed their Swimming Lessons in the Raheen Woods Hotel last week. They made great progress during the week.
Ms Tyrrell & Mr Hanley have selected 4 junior and 3 senior teams to participate in the Athenry Camogie Blitz in Carnaun pitch today. Thanks again to the Parents’ Council who financed the bus.
All the children from 2nd class up to 5th class will go on their school tour to Bunratty & Cragganowen tomorrow June 6th. Children will depart at 8.50am and arrive back to the school at 4.30pm.
The Public Health Nurse will carry out screening (hearing & vision) for Junior Infants, 6th class and any new children who enrolled in the school this school year. She and her team will be here on Wednesday June 6th to Monday June 11th. Consent Forms have been distributed. Please return all forms to class teacher as soon as possible, if you have not already done so.
The 1st class boys will visit the Boys School on Thursday, June 7th at 1.30pm. They can be collected from their classroom at 1pm.
This year marks the Tercentenary of the birth of Nano Nagle, Foundress of the Presentation Order. All Presentation schools are celebrating this occasion. The staff and pupils of Scoil Chroí Naofa are hosting a “Nano & Friends Day” on Friday June 8th. The Presentation Sisters in Athenry, the Board of Management and the Parents’ Council are invited to celebrate this special day with us at 10.30am commencing with refreshments in the staff room. This will be followed by a Screening of our School Documentary about Nano Nagle and her legacy to our Presentation School. Our special guests will then be guided on a “Nano Trail” around the school by our SCN Nano. Many activities have been planned for the children e.g. viewing powerpoint presentations and watching a drama on the life story of Nano, having an interview with our SCN Nano, learning about the history of the Presentation Sisters in Athenry, enjoying a Nano Golden Hour where they have the opportunity for Art work and a variety of mindful activities on the Nano theme. The Board of Management will very kindly provide treats for the children to mark this significant event. Heartiest congratulations to Mrs. Cronin and Mr. Mc Donald who produced the Documentary assisted by the staff and children.
Please forward to the class teacher a Stamped Self-Addressed Envelope for each of your children’s end of year reports. Please ensure envelope is large enough for the reports. The end of year school report will include results from the standardised tests which were carried out recently. Reports will be posted mid June and there will be an opportunity for you to speak with teacher about your child’s results, should you wish to do so.
MindUP is a set of social, emotional and self-regulatory strategies and skills developed for children, designed to cultivate wellbeing and emotional balance. Following on from the Parent Information Evening on the MindUp programme last month, we have received the Parents MindUp Workbook from the organisers. This workbook proved to be too large a document to e-mail to all parents. If you are interested in getting a copy, please contact the office.
There will be a Reception Meeting in the school on Tuesday, June 12th at 8pm for:
- Parents of children who will be starting the Junior Infant Programme 2018
- Parents of new children who have enrolled in other classes for 2018
All the Junior and Senior Infants will go home on Wednesday June 13th at 11.45pm as the new Junior Infants for September 2018 will be visiting the school from 12.30 – 1.30pm. There will be tea and coffee served in the school hall from 12.30 to 1.30pm for the parents of the new entrants for 2018.
Parental Assistance is requested for the following events over the next few weeks:
- Serving refreshments in the hall to parents of new Junior Infants: Tues Jun 12th at 8.45pm
- Serving refreshments in the hall to parents of new Junior Infants: Wed Jun 13th 12.30-1.30pm
- Serving refreshments in the hall after Graduation Mass: Mon Jun 25th at 12.00 noon.
- Covering books, at a date to be confirmed
- Book rental scheme, at a date to be confirmed
If available, please send a text to Parents’ Council phone number: 087 4038525
Link with the Community:
- The annual Bia Lover festival takes place this year on the weekend of June 15th – 17th 2018. The “Bake-A-Book Competition” will run again. There will also be a Children’s Art Competition. The theme of the art competition is ‘You Are What You Eat’ and it caters specifically for children from Junior Infants to Second Class. Entry to the competitions will be via “Eventbrite”. Applications to the events will open on June 1st and close on June 11th. This is a free family fun festival and there will be lots to see and do for everyone. You will find more information on Facebook and on the Bia Lover website.
- Active School Week will take place June 18th to 22nd.
- Cash for Clobber collection will take place Tuesday June 19th
- Graduation Mass for 1st class boys and 6th class girls will take place at 11am in school hall on Monday June 25th.
- Sixth class girls will get their holidays on Wed June 28th.
Yours sincerely ___________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal