Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 23 May 15th 2018
Congratulations to Mrs Wallace & Mr Wallace on the safe arrival of their new baby boy Ciarán. The whole school community would like to send them our very best wishes on this very special occasion.
The Best Attendance record for the month of April has been awarded to Mr McDonald’s 2nd & 3rd class.
A case of Mumps has been reported in Ms O’Byrne’s class and a second case of Chicken Pox has been reported in Ms Moloney’s junior infants class.
There have been a number of confirmed cases of head lice in various different classes throughout the school. Please check your child’s hair regularly and ensure that long hair is tied back.
The Green School Committee are organising a Used Battery Collection. For this reason they are asking everyone to gather up all the used batteries they have at home & to bring them to school where they can be placed in the WEEE Battery Recycling boxes and disposed of properly.
Our “How long is Larry?” fundraiser got off to a great start. Last Friday, a member of the Parent’s Council, Rachel Moore ( Adriana’s Mum) counted all the loose change that has been donated to date. The sum of was €170 has been collected. So shy Larry has emerged from his home and grown past the first marker and is on his way to reaching the second marker!!! The children were very excited to see him grow. Larry will keep moving up & out of the grass at every €100 interval. We cannot wait to see how long our new pet is!! For the rest of the term children are asked to “bring a coin to school” particularly on a Tuesday or Thursday. The Student Council will go around to each class on these days and children can put their coin in the donation bottle. So please check down the back of the couch, in the car & any other nooks & crannies you can think of and let’s make this fundraiser a great success!!!
Mrs. Monson’s Sixth Class will attend a Chef Demo on Pizza Making in Milanos Restaurant on Wednesday May 16th. After their trip to Milanos the girls will visit the Galway City Museum for an hour long tour. Many thanks to the Parents’ Council for financing transport.
Please continue to visit our school website www.scoilchroinaofaathenry.ie. The website includes many features such as our diary, newsletters, photos, blogging from various classes, a translation feature to other languages etc. Recent blogs include: First Class Hurling, Spring / Summer Art around the school, Larry the Snake slithers into SCN!!.
From September 2018 there will no longer be a Paper Copy of the Newsletter sent home in the children’s bags. This is in line with our Green School Philosophy. Currently approx. two thirds of all parents in the school receive the newsletter by e-mail. If you are not receiving the newsletter by e-mail at the moment – please provide an up to date e-mail address to the office, to ensure that you stay informed of important developments in the school. The newsletter will continue to be posted to the Website.
MindUP is a set of social, emotional and self-regulatory strategies and skills developed for children, designed to cultivate wellbeing and emotional balance. Following on from the Parent Information Evening on the MindUp programme last month, we have received the Parents MindUp Workbook from the organisers. This workbook will be e-mailed to all parents.
Link with the Community:
- On Sunday 27th May the annual Athenry Agricultural Show will once again hold a Junior Art Competition. There are various different themes depending for each age category. Cash prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd. There is a €3 entry fee & closing date for entries is 12 midday on Wednesday May 23rd. Check www.athenryagrishow.com for further details.
- Carrabane Arts for Everyone Festival takes place on June Bank Holiday. There is an event prior to this on Saturday May 19th in Athenry Library. Children’s Poet, Gabriel FitzMaurice will be visiting at 2.30pm.
- The annual Bia Lover festival takes place this year on the weekend of June 15th – 17th 2018. The “Bake-A-Book Competition” will run again. There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place, sponsored by the Old Barracks Restaurant and Gills Bar & restaurant. There will also be a Children’s Art Competition. The theme of the art competition is ‘You Are What You Eat’ and it caters specifically for children from Junior Infants to Second Class. Bank of Ireland are sponsoring the prize for the Art Competition. Entry to the competitions will be via “Eventbrite”. Applications to the events will open on June 1st and close on June 11th. This is a free family fun festival and there will be lots to see and do for everyone. You will find more information on Facebook and on the Bia Lover website.
- First Holy Communion for 2nd class will take place on Saturday May 26th at 12 noon in the church.
- Children in 3rd class will be attending Swimming Lessons in Tranquillity in the Raheen Woods Hotel from Monday to Friday, May 28th to June 1st at a cost of €25. If children are absent any day there will be no money refunded.
- Mr Byrne and Mr. Mc Donald have selected a number of children to participate in the County Sports which will take place in Dangan on Tuesday May 29th.
- Corpus Christi Procession after 11am mass on Sunday June 3rd.
- Reception Meeting for parents of new pupils for September 2018 on Tuesday, June 12th at 8pm. Open afternoon for new Junior Infants on Wednesday, June 13th from 12.30–1.30pm.
- Active School Week will take place June 18th to 22nd.
Yours sincerely ___________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal