Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 22 May 1st 2018
Congratulations to Mrs Burke, her husband and family on the safe arrival of their new baby boy. The whole school community would like to send them our very best wishes on this very special occasion.
There have been a number of additional cases of “Slapped Cheek” syndrome in different classes throughout the school this week. If you have any concerns that your child may have the condition, we would ask that you make an appointment with the doctor and follow his / her advice.
There has been one reported case of Chicken Pox in Ms Moloney’s Junior Infants class.
There has been a confirmed case of head lice in Ms O’Byrne’s class.
Please forward test fee outlined below to your child’s teacher, if you have not already done so:
||ENGLISH & MATHS
|2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th CLASSES
||ENGLISH, MATHS & IRISH
Student Council together with the Parents Council are organising a fun fundraiser “How long is Larry?” which will run for the rest of the summer term. There will be a large collection bottle placed in the hall. Children will be asked to bring in spare loose change and place their donations into the bottle. At regular intervals the bottle will be emptied & the proceeds counted. Our fantastic new school snake Larry will keep moving up out of the grass at every €100 interval. We cannot wait to see how long our new pet is!! The Parents’ Council would love to fund the cost of another iPad or two for the school with these proceeds. So please check down the back of the couch, in the car & any other nooks & crannies you can think of and let’s make this fundraiser a great success!!!
There will be a Staff Meeting this Thursday May 3rd. Children will go home at 1.15pm.
There will be no school on Monday May 7th (bank holiday) and Tuesday May 8th.
So far this year the following classes have had the Best Attendance record:
- January – Ms Alani’s 1st class
- February – Ms Alani’s 1st class
- March – Mrs Hennessy’s 3rd class
A number of the senior classes are participating in Paired Reading sessions with some junior classes. During these sessions the older child reads to the younger child and the younger child reads to the older child. Mrs Monson’s class are paired with Ms Tyrrell’s class, Ms Murray’s class are paired with Ms Moloney’s class and Mrs Greally’s class are paired with Mrs Comer’s class. All the children are really enjoying this experience.
The Green School Committee are organising a Used Battery Collection. For this reason they are asking everyone to gather up all the used batteries they have at home & to bring them to school where they can be placed in the WEEE Battery Recycling boxes and disposed of properly.
Please visit our school website www.scoilchroinaofaathenry.ie. Mrs. Cronin our I.C.T. Co-ordinator and the teachers have been very busy “blogging” about all the events that the children have taken part in recently. The website includes many features such as our diary, newsletters, photos, blogging from various classes, a translation feature to other languages etc. Recent blogs include First Confession, Best Attendance, JEP, First Class Hurling, Spring / Summer Art around the school.
From September 2018 there will no longer be a Paper Copy of the Newsletter sent home in the children’s bags. This is in line with our Green School Philosophy. Currently approx two thirds of all parents in the school receive the newsletter by e-mail. If you are not receiving the newsletter by e-mail at the moment – please provide an up to date e-mail address to the office, to ensure that you stay informed of important developments in the school. The newsletter will continue to be posted to the Website.
The School Calendar 2018 / 2019 dates have been agreed for the next school year. Please see a copy attached for your information.
Extra Curricular Activities: If your child wishes to enrol in the following activities please pay by cash/cheque payable to the teacher. Bookings are on a first come first serve basis.
- Ms Monaghan is providing a Yoga club to girls in 2nd, 3rd & 4th classes on Thursday from 2.30-3.30pm. The cost is €18 and it will run for 6 weeks. (There will be no Yoga Club this week, due to the Staff meeting, but it will continue as normal on Thursday May 10th)
- Ms Tyrrell is offering a Science Club to children in Junior Infants. Starting Wednesday May 2nd from 2.30-3.30pm. The cost is €25 and it will run for 5 weeks.
- A second Science Club for children in Junior Infants will commence on Thursday May 10th. The cost is €25 and it will also run for 5 weeks.
- Children in 3rd class will be attending Swimming Lessons in Tranquillity in the Raheen Woods Hotel from Monday to Friday, May 28th to June 1st at a cost of €25. If children are absent any day there will be no money refunded.
- Mr Byrne and Mr. Mc Donald will select a number of children to participate in the County Sports which will take place in Dangan on Tuesday May 29th.
- First Holy Communion for 2nd class will take place on Saturday May 26th at 12 noon in the church.
- Reception Meeting for parents of new pupils for September 2018 on Tuesday, June 12th at 8pm. Open afternoon for new Junior Infants on Wednesday, June 13th from 12.30–1.30pm.
Yours sincerely ___________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal