Scoil Chroí Naofa
Dear Parents Issue: 21 June 7th 2017
Mrs O’Sullivan has been teaching in Scoil Chroí Naofa for 18 years. She will be retiring at the end of this school year. The whole school community wish to thank her most sincerely for her commitment & dedication to the school. We wish her health and happiness in the future.
Mrs O’Reilly will be returning from her maternity leave on Monday. Sincere thanks to Mr Hanley who has been teaching her Senior Infants Class since September.
Congratulations to the 34 girls in Mr. Mc Donald’s & Ms Monaghan’s 2nd classes who made their First Holy Communion on May 28th. A special thank you to the Parents’ Council who financed a party for them. Tim Brennan Photography took a group photo of the girls on the day. If you wish to order a First Holy Communion Class Photo, please forward €20 by Friday of next week (June 16th). Copy available to view in the office.
Congratulations to the sixteen Athletes who participated in the County Sports last week. In the Long Distance Category under 13 years Kayla Madden was awarded a silver medal and Leonore Church was awarded a bronze medal. Many thanks to Mr Wallace for coaching them.
Congratulations to all the girls who took part in the Cumann na mBunscoil Blitz and the Athenry Camogie Club Blitz. Thanks again to Mrs Burke, Ms Tyrrell & Mrs Leggett for coaching them.
Fifth class participated in the TECHe (Technology-Enhanced Cultural Heritage Education) research project undertaken by an ex pupil Sally McHugh. Her overall research question was to explore if digital technologies can enhance children’s engagement with cultural heritage within a school setting. The project aimed to enhance children’s engagement with local heritage, learning and developing skills in teamwork, technology, creativity and problem-solving. The children created amazing curriculum based digital heritage stories about Athenry using ipads.
The children in 3rd class really enjoyed their Swimming Lessons in the Raheen Woods Hotel. They made great progress during the week.
Sixth class will continue with their Cycle Safety Training Course tomorrow Thurs June 8th.
The 1st class boys will visit the Boys School tomorrow Thurs, June 8th at 1.30pm. They can be collected from their classroom at 1pm.
The 1st class boys will participate in a Hurling Blitz with the Boys National School in Kenny Park on Fri June 9th.
Brendan Smith from NUIG will present a Coding Workshop to 6th class on Mon June 12th and to 5th class on Tues June 27th
The Students’ Council are holding their annual Bake Sale on Wednesday June 14th. There will be a selection of homemade treats available for children to buy as well as games to play. The Students’ Council would be very appreciative of donations towards their Bake Sale. If you would like to donate cakes, buns, bread or treats please send them to Room 16 on Wednesday morning. The proceeds will go towards Athenry Tidy Towns Committee.
There will be a Reception Meeting in the school on Wednesday, June 14th at 8pm for:
- Parents of children who will be starting the Junior Infant Programme 2017
- Parents of new children who have enrolled in other classes for 2017
All the Junior and Senior Infants will go home on Thursday June 15th at 11.45pm as the new Junior Infants for September 2017 will be visiting the school from 12.30 – 1.30pm. Anne O’ Rourke Psychologist from NEPS will speak to parents of the new pupils from 12.30 to 1.30pm in the school hall.
Parental Assistance is requested for the following events over the next few weeks:
- Serving refreshments in the hall to new parents on Wed June 14th at 8.45pm
- Serving refreshment in the hall after Graduation Mass on Fri June 23th at 12.00 noon.
- Covering books at a date to be confirmed
If available, please send a text to Parents’ Council phone number: 087 4038525
Fidget spinners are banned from school as they are causing disruption and upset to teaching, learning and playtime.
The Board of Management seeks an annual contribution of €30 per child or €50 per family The Board wish to thank again those families who gave a Voluntary Contribution during the year. If you would like to contribute, we would be very grateful for your donation. In the light of the economic climate, staff has requested that no gifts be given to them throughout the year. Instead however, your appreciation of staff can be acknowledged in your Voluntary Contribution.
The staff and I wish to further equip and develop our play corners for a programme called Aistear. If parents or friends wish to kindly donate any of the following items to the school we would be very grateful: Toy Cash Registers, Toy Trolleys, Postman Pat toys / books, Postcards, Doctors / Nurses’s sets, Toy Animals, Teddies, Dress up Clothes, Aeroplanes, Small Suitcases, Luggage Tags, Cameras, Sunglasses, Baseball hats, Foreign / Play money, Travel Agent Brochures etc.
Please forward to the class teacher a Stamped Self Addressed Envelope for each of your children’s end of year reports.
Dates for Diary
- Athenry Community Council in collaboration with the Athenry Scouts wish to invite children to take part in a Pedal Parade for bike week on Sunday June 11th, There will be a talk on Road safety and a short cycle around the town. The community is invited to “pimp-up” their bikes.
- Next Cash for Clobber collection on Tuesday June 13th
- Bake Sale in aid of Athenry Tidy Towns committee will take place on Wed June 14th
- There will be a Pre-Teen Alcohol Awareness Parents Session in the Boys School on June 14th at 7.30pm. It is designed to help reduce the early adoption of drinking behaviour in school-aged children. It is targeted specifically at parents of children in 6th
- Bia Lover festival are holding a Bake-a-book competition on Friday June 16th at the party in the Athenry Community Park at 7pm. Registration should be completed by Monday June 12th: https://bialoverbakeabook.eventbrite.com
- Corpus Christi Procession on Sunday June 18th after 11am Mass.
- Active School Week from Monday to Friday June 19th to 23rd.
- Graduation Mass for 6th class girls & 1st class boys and Retirement Mass for Mrs O’Sullivan Friday June 23rd at 11am.
- Sixth class will take a Trip to Galway to spend their JEP profits on Mon June 26th. The girls will get their holidays on Wed June 28th.
- Membership is now open for Athenry GAA for all boys & girls aged 6 yrs and over. Join on line or renew at: athenrygaa.ie. Boys: contact: John Cloonan email: [email protected]. Tel: 087 6769820. Girls: contact: Susan Mahon email: [email protected]. Tel: 087 7679667.
Please find attached School Calendar 2017 / 2018 for your information
Yours sincerely, _______________________Teresa Neylon, Principal