Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 20 April 17th 2018
A special thank you to the girls who represented the school in the Community Games Table Quiz County Final on Sunday and to their parents: Amelia Drapiewska, Jennifer McGreevy, Sophie Donnelly & Alison McGreevy. Thanks also to Mr Hanley who coaches the girls for Table Quiz.
The Liam McCarthy cup and some of the members of the winning All-Ireland hurling team will be visiting the school tomorrow! The children do not have to wear their uniform. They may come to school dressed in the county colours of maroon & white.
There will be a Parent Information Evening on the MindUp programme tomorrow night, Wednesday April 18th at 7.30pm in the hall of Scoil Chroí Naofa. Parents of children from Scoil Chroí Naofa, Athenry Boys School and Gael Scoil Riada are cordially invited. The purpose of the meeting is to demonstrate to parents how they can continue the “MindUp” philosophy at home. The programme explains how parts of the brain work. Its main objectives are to encourage Mindful Awareness and Focused Attention using regular “Brain Breaks” throughout the day. The MindUp programme aims to bring happiness & well-being to children in their learning.
Sixth class are taking part again this year in J.E.P. (Junior Entrepreneur Programme). This programme brings real life business learning to children. It nurtures creativity, independence and problem solving among the pupils. Sixth class have designed their new product for this year, which is Super Slime. This fantastic product is a tub of slime manufactured by sixth class. There are two options:
- €3.00 – tub of slime with charm
- €3.50 – tub of slime with bracelet & charm
Sixth class have been working very hard on producing this product and it will go on sale to the school this Friday April 20th. Each class will be given the opportunity to come out to the hall to purchase this product, if they wish.
Photographs from County Photos were distributed to the relevant classes last week. If you wish to order photos, please complete order form and insert correct amount of money into envelope provided and return to the school before Friday of this week.
Tests will be administered to children from 1st class up to 6th class over the next few weeks. A Grant was received from the Department over the last few years to subsidise the cost of tests. Please forward the test fee outlined below to your child’s teacher as soon as possible.
||ENGLISH & MATHS
|2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th CLASSES
||ENGLISH, MATHS & IRISH
First Confession for 2nd class will take place on Monday April 23rd at 11am in the school hall. Parents are invited to attend if they wish.
Sixth class are continuing with their 2nd session of the Cycle Safety Training Course. This course is partially covered by a grant and the balance will be paid by the Parents’ Council.
Fourth class are continuing with their Soccer Workshop given by John Morris of the FAI. This is a 6 week workshop which takes place on Friday’s from 9.30-10.30am.
Gerry Spellman from the Galway GAA Coaching Committee will assist the staff in coaching hurling to the boys in Mr Byrne’s & Mrs Forde’s 1st classes every Friday for the next few weeks.
The Annual Athenry Community Games & Parish Sports takes place this Sunday April 22nd. Events commence at 1.30pm in St Mary’s GAA Club – Carnaun. There are a range of Track & Field Events for U8 up to U16 with the winner and runner-up in some events qualifying to represent Athenry in the Community Games County Finals. There will also be some fun events like the Sack Race (sacks provided), Three-legged Race (bring own tights), Mother’s Race, Father’s Race, Junior Infants Race, Senior Infants Race etc…. Everyone welcome to the Athenry Community Event.
Extra Curricular Activities: If your child wishes to enrol in the following activities please pay by cash/cheque payable to the teacher. Bookings are on a first come first serve basis.
- Hanley will provide a Spike Ball club for 5th & 6th classes at a cost of €20. Classes begin on Tuesday, April 24th from 2:30 to 3:30pm and will run for 6 weeks.
- Mrs Murray (B.A. Degree in Spanish) will be offering a follow-on Spanish Club for the 4th, 5th and 6th class girls who attended the first Spanish Club. The cost is €15 and it will run for 4 weeks. Classes begin tomorrow Wednesday April 18th from 2:30 to 3:30pm. Emphasis will be on spoken Spanish and will also include Fun games & activities, Spanish food tasting, Spanish songs, traditions & dance.
- There will be a Staff Meeting on Thursday May 3rd. Children will go home at 1.15pm.
- Children in 3rd class will be attending Swimming Lessons in Tranquillity in the Raheen Woods Hotel from Monday to Friday, May 28th to June 1st at a cost of €25. If children are absent any day there will be no money refunded.
- First Holy Communion for 2nd class will take place on Saturday May 26th at 12 noon in the church.
- Reception Meeting for parents of new pupils for September 2018 on Tuesday, June 12th at 8pm.
- Open afternoon for new Junior Infants on Wednesday, June 13th from 12.30–1.30pm.
Yours sincerely ___________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal