Dear Parents Issue: 20 April 11th 2019
On behalf of the whole school community
I would like to express our deepest sympathies to the Thomas family on the loss
of baby Maria. May she rest in peace. Our thoughts and prayers are with Irene,
Christene and their whole family at this very difficult time.
The children will be getting their EASTER
HOLIDAYS tomorrow Friday April 12th. School closes at 11.45am.
Children do not have to wear
their school uniform on that day. School
will re-open on Monday, April 29th.
week is being celebrated this week, and tomorrow is Rock your odd socks and bright colours day!
So, instead of their uniform, the children can wear odd socks to school
and can dress up in bright colours. This is to symbolise how everyone is
different in their own way & we must respect that. Bright colours signify
happiness, hope & friendship.
First Confession & First Communion
- Congratulations to Miss O’Byrne & all the girls in 2nd class who made their First Confession last week.
- The next Do this in Memory mass for girls making their First Communion will be on Sunday April 14th at 11am
- First Communion will take place on Saturday May 25th at 12 noon in Athenry Church
Athenry Community Games:
- The annual Athenry Parish Sports Day takes place this Sunday April 14th, commencing at 2.30pm in St Mary’s GAA Club – Carnaun. There are a range of Track & Field Events for U8 up to U16. Everyone is welcome to this Athenry Community Event.
- The 1st and 2nd placed athletes in a number of events will qualify to represent Athenry in the Community Games County Finals.
- There will be a schools 4x100m relay race for boys and a 4x100m for girls in two categories – up to 4th Class and up to 6th Class. Schools are welcome to send a team to compete on the day. This relay event is a local Parish event and not a Community Games qualifier.
First Responders came into the school today Thursday
April 11th to teach CPR to 4th, 5th & 6th classes.
Thanks to all the girls who donated €2 to the organisation. Donations will
still be accepted tomorrow.
A member of the
Knitting Club, Maureen Cannon is an active member of the Irish Pilgrimage Trust.
This organisation takes young people with special needs to Lourdes at Easter.
Maureen would like us to support her again this year in a fundraiser for the
Irish Pilgrimage Trust. She has kindly donated a large Easter egg for a raffle
which will take place tomorrow Friday April 12th. Tickets cost €1
and they can be purchased daily from Mrs Monson’s 6th class.
protection training was attended last night by a
representative of our Board of Management. Our school child protection
statement has been reviewed in line with best practice and procedure in this
area and copies of this reviewed statement will be available to read at
all entry points to the school very soon, as well as on the school website. The
Designated Liaison Person for the School is myself (Fergal Naughton) and the
Deputy Designated Liaison Person is Mrs Cronin.
- Mrs Murray & Miss Tyrrell are holding an Easter Camp for children from Junior Infants up to 2nd class on Monday April 15th to Fri April 19th from 10am to 2pm.
- Hearing & vision screening will take place for Junior Infants in May. Consent forms will be distributed after Easter.
- The first Stay Safe Cycling Workshop for 6th class has been re-scheduled to Wednesday May 1st. This course is partially covered by a grant and the balance will be paid by the Parents’ Council.
- Mr McDonald’s & Miss Dolan’s 3rd classes will attend a Sheep Farming demo in Ardrahan on May 1st. This initiative is step one in “Project Baa Baa” which is part of Galway 2020 programme. Parents Council will fund the cost of the bus.
- On Thursday May 2nd, coaches from Corinthians Rugby club will come to the school to talk to the girls in 4th, 5th & 6th classes about Tag Rugby for Girls.
- Standardised testing for pupils from 1st to 6th class will take place in May
- Donna Gilligan (a Heritage Expert) will provide a workshop to Mrs Greally’s 4th & Miss Murray’s 5th classes on Friday May 10th. These workshops are part-funded by the Heritage council and the balance will be covered by the Parents Council.
- Senior girls will take part in a Gaelic Football blitz in Clarinbridge on Monday May 13th.Parents Council will cover the cost of the bus.
- Senior girls will take part in a Basketball Blitz in Cregmore on Tuesday May 14th.Parents Council will cover the cost of the bus.
- There will be a Mobile Pet Farm visiting the school on Friday May 17th. Parents Council will cover the cost of this visit.
- Camogie girls will take part in a Camogie Blitz in Ballindereen on Thursday May 23rd. Parents Council will cover the cost of the bus.
- Children in 3rd class will be attending Swimming Lessons in Tranquillity in the Raheen Woods Hotel from Monday to Thursday, May 27th to May 30th at a cost of €20. Money will be requested after the Easter holidays. This is just to give you advance notice.
- Dates for School Tours:
- Wed May 29th: 1st class going to Lets Go camp in Kingfisher NUIG
- Thurs June 6th: 2nd class and Mr McDonald’s 3rd going to Athlone
- Fri June 7th: Senior Infants going to Atlantaquarium & Monkey Business, Galway
- Tues June 11th: 6th class going to Tayto Park
- Thurs June 13th: Junior Infants going to Turoe Pet Farm
- Mon June 17th: Miss Dolan’s (3rd/4th), Mrs Greally’s (4th) and Miss Murray’s (5th) going to Delta Sports Dome in Limerick
- Reception night for Parents of new entrants for school year 2019 / 2020 will be held at 8pm on Tuesday June 11th in the school hall.
activities for Apr / May:
- Tues: Camogie training (1.30-2.30pm) (5th, 6th & Mrs Greally’s 4th)
- Tues: Club Gaeilge for 4th class will commence after the Easter Holidays
- Thurs: Camogie training (1.30-2.30pm) (Mr McDonald & Miss Dolan)
- Thurs: Dance class for 2nd & 3rd classes will continue after Easter Holidays
- St Alberto’s school is bringing Spanish Students to Athenry for the past 13 years with their leaders. Students are 10-17 years old and require Host Families. This year they are arriving June 28th and leaving July 26th. If you can accommodate a student please contact Peggy (Athenry) at 087 1634040 for more details and payment. Students go to English classes and activities from 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday.
- The Athenry Parish Children’s Liturgy Team are looking for more volunteers to help during the 11am mass on Sundays. Interested parents, grandparents, neighbours, or siblings (over 18) can call in to David at the parish office or ring him on (091) 844076 to obtain vetting forms. The time commitment is only 2 Sundays, 4 times / year and is very flexible. If you would like to meet with anyone from the team to learn more, call in to the Children’s Liturgy in the Pastoral centre any Sunday and say hello. The current volunteers would be happy to talk to you about it.
- Diana Szabo is holding an Italian Cookery Workshop for Children on Saturday April 13th in Athenry Community hall from 1.30 to 3.30pm. Class costs €15 per child. Phone Diana on 087 7502996 to make a booking.
- Youth Rugby “Come and Give it a Try” aimed at girls aged 10-14 years. There will be an 8 week course in Corinthians RFC, Tuam Road, Killeen, Galway, starting Monday May 13th from 6-7.30pm.
Wishing you all a happy & peaceful Easter.
Yours sincerely, Fergal Naughton, Principal