Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 19 April 11th 2018
The Student Council wish to thank all who supported the Easter Raffle in aid of the Irish Pilgrimage Trust before the Easter Holidays. The total raised was €812.
Congratulations to the following children who won prizes in
- the Community Games Handwriting Competition: Sonia Tierney, Cailyn Cobey & Jiaxin Li
- the Community Games Art Competition: Christopher Nagygyorgy, Mateusz Pieniazek, Alice Church, Ella James, Eva Coye, Sandra Gyamera, Aimee Lumumba and Willow O’Neill.
Ms Sinéad Moloney has been appointed the substitute teacher for Mrs Wallace while she is on maternity leave.
Rosemary Ward proudly represented our school at the Easons Spelling Bee County Final in the Salthill Hotel yesterday.
Photographs from County Photos were distributed to the relevant classes yesterday. If you wish to order photos, please complete order form and insert correct amount of money into envelope provided and return to the school before Wednesday of next week April 18th.
Sixth class have commenced a Cycle Safety Training Course consisting of 4 two hour sessions. The first session took place today yesterday. This course is partially covered by a grant and the balance will be paid by the Parents’ Council.
Parents and children in second class are invited to attend the next Do This In Memory of Me Mass scheduled for this Sunday, the 15h of April at 11am.
Mr Hanley has selected the following team to represent the school at the Community Games Table Quiz County Final: Sophie Donnelly, Amelia Drapiewska, Jennifer McGreevy, Alison McGreevy, Willow O’Neill & Leonore Church. It will take place in Kilcornan Centre, Clarinbridge this Sunday April 15th at 12 noon.
Extra Curricular Activities: If your child wishes to enrol in the following activities please pay by cash/cheque payable to the teacher. Bookings are on a first come first serve basis.
- Hanley will provide a Spike Ball club for 5th & 6th classes at a cost of €20. Classes begin on Tuesday, April 24th from 2:30 to 3:30pm and will run for 6 weeks.
- Mrs Murray (B.A. Degree in Spanish) will be offering a follow-on Spanish Club for the 4th, 5th and 6th class girls who attended the first Spanish Club. The cost is €15 and it will run for 4 weeks. Classes begin on Wednesday April 18th from 2:30 to 3:30pm. Emphasis will be on spoken Spanish and will also include Fun games & activities, Spanish food tasting, Spanish songs, traditions & dance.
Since September all the staff have been attending “MindUp” workshops along with the staff of the Boys National School and the staff of Gael Scoil Riada. The MindUp programme is part of a global network of schools. It is rooted in science and is validated & tested in universities. The programme explains how parts of the brain work. Its main objectives are to encourage Mindful Awareness and Focused Attention using regular “Brain Breaks” throughout the day. The MindUp programme aims to bring happiness & well-being to children in their learning. There will be a Parent Information Evening on the MindUp programme next Wednesday, April 18th at 7.30pm in the hall of Scoil Chroi Naofa. Parents of children from all three schools are cordially invited.The purpose of the meeting is to demonstrate to parents how they can continue the “MindUp” philosophy at home.
First Confession for 2nd class will take place on Monday April 23rd at 11am in the school hall. Parents are invited to attend if they wish.
Tests will be administered to children from 1st class up to 6th class over the next few weeks. A Grant was received from the Department over the last few years to subsidise the cost of tests. Please forward the test fee outlined below to your child’s teacher as soon as possible.
||ENGLISH & MATHS
|2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th CLASSES
||ENGLISH, MATHS & IRISH
We would like to draw your attention to our school website www.scoilchroinaofaathenry.ie. Mrs. Cronin our I.C.T. Co-ordinator and the teachers have been very busy “blogging” about all the events that the children have taken part in since September. The website includes many features such as our diary, newsletters, photos, blogging from various classes, a translation feature to other languages etc. Recent blogs include Book Fair, Engineers Weeks, Seachtain na Gaeilge.
- There will be a Staff Meeting on Thursday May 3rd. Children will go home at 1.15pm.
- Children in 3rd class will be attending Swimming Lessons in Tranquillity in the Raheen Woods Hotel from Monday to Friday, May 28th to June 1st at a cost of €25. If children are absent any day there will be no money refunded.
- First Holy Communion for 2nd class will take place on Saturday May 26th at 12 noon in the church.
- Reception Meeting for parents of new pupils for September 2018 on Tuesday, June 12th at 8pm.
- Open afternoon for new Junior Infants on Wednesday, June 13th from 12.30–1.30pm.
Yours sincerely ___________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal