Dear Parents Issue: 19 April 2nd 2019
There will be NO SCHOOL on Friday
April 5th, as this is an in-service day for staff.
We welcome back two past pupils, who
will be with us for the next few weeks on teaching practice:
- Mrs Mitchell (Hibernia college) will be in Miss O’Byrne’s 2nd class
- Miss Keane (Mary Immaculate College) will be in Mrs Monson’s 6th class
The Best Attendance award for March is
awarded to Mrs Greally’s fourth class. Congratulations!
First Confession & First Communion
- First Confession for 2nd class will take place on Wednesday April 3rd at 11am in the school hall. Parents are invited to attend if they wish.
- The next Do this in Memory mass for girls making their First Communion will be on Sunday April 14th at 11am
- First Communion will take place on Saturday May 25th at 12 noon in Athenry Church
Athenry Community Games:
- Mr Hanley has selected a team to
represent the school at the Community Games Table Quiz County Final.
It will take place in St Killian’s Secondary School New Inn, on Friday April 5th
at 6.45pm. (The venue had to be changed due to large number of entries).
First Responders are coming into the school on Thursday
April 11th to teach CPR to 4th, 5th & 6th classes.
As a gesture of thanks, I would ask the girls to bring €2 which will be donated
to the Athenry First Responders organisation for providing the girls with this
A member of the
Knitting Club, Maureen Cannon is an active member of the Irish Pilgrimage Trust.
This organisation takes young people with special needs to Lourdes at Easter.
Maureen would like us to support her again this year in a fundraiser for the
Irish Pilgrimage Trust. She has kindly donated a large Easter egg for a raffle
which will take place on Friday April 12th. Tickets cost €1 and they
can be purchased daily from Mrs. Monson’s 6th class girls.
- There is a Safe System for entering and leaving the school grounds –all children should enter the school through the styles in the wall and not through the driveway, which is for cars. If children continue to enter the school through the driveway, then we will have to put the barrier down in the mornings.
- The staff of Scoil Chroí Naofa consider Punctuality to be of paramount importance. Please ensure that your child is in school by 8.50am to avoid constant disruption to morning prayers and to the beginning of the school day for teachers. A record of lateness is now being kept.
- Children are expected to wear their full School Uniform each day to school. Reviews are being carried out & parents will be contacted, where necessary. Your support in this matter is greatly appreciated.
- A number of cases of Head Lice have been reported over the last few weeks. Please be vigilant and check your child’s hair regularly. If necessary hair should be treated immediately. Long hair should be tied back.
- Children are not allowed to have Hair Dyes in their hair at school.
- Stay Safe Cycling Workshops for 6th class will commence on Wednesday April 3rd. This course is partially covered by a grant and the balance will be paid by the Parents’ Council.
- Easter holidays are from Monday April 15th to Friday April 26th. Children will be getting their Easter Holidays on Friday week, April 12th at 11.45am. Children do not have to wear their school uniform on that day. School will re-open on Monday, April 29th.
- Mrs Murray & Miss Tyrrell are holding an Easter Camp for children from Junior Infants up to 2nd class on Monday April 15th to Fri April 19th from 10am to 2pm. The cost is €65 per child (€60 per sibling).
- Children in 3rd class will be attending Swimming Lessons in Tranquillity in the Raheen Woods Hotel from Monday to Thursday, May 27th to May 30th at a cost of €20. Money will be requested after the Easter holidays. This is just to give you advance notice.
- Dates for School Tours:
- Wed May 29th: 1st class going to Lets Go camp in Kingfisher NUIG
- Thurs June 6th: 2nd class and Mr McDonald’s 3rd going to Athlone
- Fri June 7th: Senior Infants going to Atlantaquarium & Monkey Business, Galway
- Tues June 11th: 6th class going to Tayto Park
- Thurs June 13th: Junior Infants going to Turoe Pet Farm
- Mon June 17th: Miss Dolan’s (3rd/4th), Mrs Greally’s (4th) and Miss Murray’s (5th) going to Delta Sports Dome in Limerick
- Reception night for Parents of new entrants for school year 2019 / 2020 will be held at 8pm on Tuesday June 11th in the school hall.
activities for Mar / Apr:
- Mon: Basketball Blitz for 3rd & 4th class Mon April 8th. Girls can be collected at 4pm
- Tues: Camogie training (1.30-2.30pm) (5th, 6th & Mrs Greally’s 4th)
- Tues: Spanish Club for 3rd, 4th & 5th classes (last class takes place on Tues April 9th)
- Tues: Science Club for 2nd, 3rd & 4th classes commenced Mar 12th and running for 5 weeks
- Wed: Club Gaeilge for Senior Infants classes commencing Mar 13th and running for 5 weeks
- Wed: Quiz Club with Mr Hanley
- Thurs: Camogie training (1.30-2.30pm) (Mr McDonald & Miss Dolan)
- Thurs: Basketball Blitz for 5th & 6th next week (April 11th). Girls can be collected at 4pm on this day.
- Thurs: Dance class for 2nd & 3rd classes commenced Mar 25th and has been re-scheduled to Thursday’s for the remaining 4 weeks
- The Athenry Parish Children’s Liturgy Team are looking for more volunteers to help during the 11am mass on Sundays. Interested parents, grandparents, neighbours, or siblings (over 18) can call in to David at the parish office or ring him on (091) 844076 to obtain vetting forms. The time commitment is only 2 Sundays, 4 times/year and is very flexible. If you would like to meet with anyone from the team to learn more, call in to the Children’s Liturgy in the Pastoral centre any Sunday and say hello. The current volunteers would be happy to talk to you about it.
- The Gold Diggers will be performing in Dowling’s Pub Athenry on Friday April 12th @ 9pm. Tickets cost €10 and are available to buy from Mrs Monson in 6th class. This is a fundraiser in aid of 19th Athenry Scouts Annual Fund Raiser.
- Hurling Training for boys born in 2011 will commence with outdoor training on Thursday April 4th from 6pm to 7pm at the club GAA grounds at Carnaun. A parents information session will be held in the clubhouse at 6.50pm. Online registration available via the club website.
Yours sincerely Fergal