Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 17 March 6th 2018
Tim Brennan Photography took a Class Photo of the Confirmation girls on the day of the confirmation. A copy of the photo is available for viewing in the office. If you wish to order a Confirmation Class Photo, please forward €20 by Friday of next week (March 16th).
Thank you to all the people who participated in Engineer’s Week this year. Some of the planned visits had to be cancelled due to the bad weather, but it was still a great success!
- Ms Tyrrell, STEM Co-Ordinator gave a lovely presentation on the different types of Engineers.
- Julian Drapiewski (father of Amelia & Theodore) and Scott Cook (father of Amber) visited the Junior & Senior Infant classes
- The Junior Classes went on Engineering Trails around the town.
- Greally’s 4th class attended a show entitled “Ireland’s Engineering Superheros” presented by Scientific Sue in NUIG. Many thanks to Parents Council who financed the bus.
- Miss Murray’s 5th class were given a tour of the Byrne Mech factory here in Athenry
- Children from 1st to 6th were encouraged to imagine, design and create their own engineering project. These projects will be displayed in the hall later this week.
There will be no school on Thursday March 8th as staff will attend a Child Protection Course.
Fourth class will be taking part in a soccer workshop given by John Morris of the FAI. This is a 6 week workshop which will take place on Friday’s from 9.30-10.30am.
Athenry Community Games Swimming 2018 is scheduled to take place in Tranquility Leisure & Spa, Raheen Woods Hotel on Saturday March 10th at 7.45am sharp (registration). Competition will begin at 8am sharp. No late entries can be facilitated. €3 entry fee required. Swimmers may only swim within their age group.
Seachtain na Gaeilge is being celebrated nationwide next week. All the children and staff will make an extra effort to speak in Irish. The following are a list of some of the activities which will take place through the medium of Irish: Assembly every morning, News, Weather Forecast, School Diary, Songs (Amhrán na bhFiann), Irish Dancing, Traditional Instrumental Music, Table Quiz, Irish Speaker Awards etc.
Thursday March 1st was World Book Day. The aim of World Book Day is to celebrate the joy of reading. On Tuesday of next week (March 13th) every child will receive a €1.50 book token. Caroline Sweeney of Eason’s Shop, Galway (mother of Isobel & Eoghan) will visit with all the World Book Day books. The children will be given the opportunity to exchange their token for a book of their choice.
The Community Council has invited the Medieval Town Band to lead the St Patrick’s Day Parade and to perform a recital at the viewing stand. The parade will take place on Saturday week, March 17th, after the 11am mass. Children from 2nd to 6th class have worked very hard for this event, so we hope to see your support by being present on the day. Your co-operation in the following matters is an essential part of this day. All children in the band are requested:
- To meet in the school at 10.00am
- To bring their instruments
- To wear their hair in plaits, if possible
- To make sure they have comfortable shoes or runners (no boots or plimsolls)
- To wear two layers, vests or t-shirts under their band uniforms
- Children from 2rd up to 6th Class should wear their navy tights.
- Children can be collected from the school straight after the Parade at 12.45am.
Please return immediately, any Enrolment Forms for new children starting school in September.
Children are not allowed to bring mobile phones or Smart watches to school.
- The Literacy Lift Off Programme has commenced in Mr. Byrne’s class.
- The Maths Blast / Problem Solving Programme has commenced in Mrs. Hennessy’s class.
- Mrs Monson’s 6th class are taking part in the Junior Entrepreneur Programme (JEP). The girls worked in teams. They chose, developed and produced their own product from scratch. Last week the six products were presented before the Dragons who consisted of a local entrepreneur Victoria McDermott of Athenry Antiques (mother of Alex) and Mrs. Cronin and myself. The Dragons were very impressed with the girls work ethic, creativity and teamwork. The product chosen was “Slime Surprise” and was presented by Ava Ryan, Mia Doyle, Ciara Coffey, Amy O’Hara and Sara Pehar. All the class are now working on this product at the development stage, and will have their product on sale in a few weeks time.
- Transition Tests for 6th class in Coláiste an Chláirín on Saturday Mar 10th from 10–11.30am.
- The next Do This In Memory Of Me Mass will take place on Sunday Mar 11th
- MMR vaccine for Junior Infants on Wednesday & Thursday March 14th &15th. Still awaiting details of appointments from Doctor.
- School Photographer will visit on Wednesday March 21st.
- The next Parent’s Council Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 22nd at 8pm. All parents are welcome to attend any of these meetings.
- The children will be getting their Easter holidays on Friday March 23rd at 11.45am. School re-opens on Monday April 9th.
- First Confession for 2nd class will take place after the Easter holidays. Parents are invited to attend if they wish.
Yours sincerely ___________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal