Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 16 February 27th 2018
Our annual Book Fair took place last week and was a great success. Our sincerest thanks to all the parents who volunteered their time: Joanne Melia Costello, Joanne Hannon, Mary Claire Doyle, Eiranne Heffernan, Caroline Gorton, Caroline O’Gara, Olivia Langan, Deirdre Leech & Mary Ryan. Without their assistance the Book Fair would not have been possible. Books to the value of €2,938 were sold, therefore the school will order books to the value of €1,469 for our library.
Congratulations to all the girls in sixth class who made their Confirmation at the weekend. The Parents Council very kindly financed a party yesterday to honour this special occasion.
A very sincere thank you to staff and families who helped and supported our Church Gate Collection last weekend. We raised a total of €845 for the School Band.
Engineer’s Week is being celebrated this week also. The theme this year is ‘Engineering our Future’. Ms. Tyrrell our Science Co-ordinator has organised a number of activities which highlight the importance of engineering in our world.
- Some Engineers have been invited to talk to various classes: Julian Drapiewski (father of Amelia & Theodore), Scott Cook (father of Amber), Micheál Quinn (SIP Energy), Niamh McNulty (Coffey Construction) & Janet Murphy Scanlon
- Miss Murray’s 5th class were given a tour of the Byrne Mech factory here in Athenry
- Greally’s 4th class attended a show today entitled “Ireland’s Engineering Superheros” presented by Scientific Sue in NUIG. Many thanks to Parents Council who financed the bus.
- The Junior Classes are going on Engineering Trails around the town.
- Children from 1st to 6th are encouraged to imagine, design and create their own engineering project.
There will be no school on ThursdayMarch 8th as staff will attend a Child Protection Course.
Please return immediately, any Enrolment Forms for new children starting school in September.
Children are not allowed to bring mobile phones or Smart watches to school.
- The Literacy Lift Off Programme has commenced in Mr. Byrne’s class.
- The Maths Blast / Problem Solving Programme has commenced in Mrs. Hennessy’s class.
- Mrs Monson’s 6th class are taking part in the Junior Entrepreneur Programme (JEP)
- Transition Tests for 6th class in Coláiste an Chláirín on Saturday Mar 10th from 10–11.30am.
- MMR vaccine for Junior Infants on Wednesday & Thursday March 14th &15th
- Our school Medieval Town Band will lead the St Patrick’s Day Parade after the 11am Mass.
- School Photographer will visit on Wednesday March 21st.
- Ms. Monaghan and Ms. Tyrrell are organising an Easter Fun Camp from Mar 26th to 30th.
Yours sincerely ___________________________Veronica Murray Assistant Principal