Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 15 February 6th 2019
Sincerest thanks to the following parents who served refreshments to all the visiting grandparents that came to the school on Grandparents Day last week: Joanne Melia, Eiranne Heffernan, Catherine McCarthy, Noelle O’Shea Hardiman, Shirley Lambourn, Linda Romane & Shelly Herterich. The day was a great success & we couldn’t have done it without you!
Thanks also to Mrs Devally who sourced fresh reeds for Mrs Forde’s 1st class and showed them how to make St. Brigid’s crosses.
Congratulations to Mr Hanley and all the girls who took part in both the Kilchreest Table Quiz and the Credit Union Table Quiz. They did the school proud at both events.
Congratulations to Mrs Greally & the Green School committee who have put so much work into our application for the “Marine Environment” Green School flag. The girls have been leading assemblies every morning this week with interesting facts, dramas & songs about the marine environment. They are holding a “Plastic-Free Action day” tomorrow, Thursday February 7th. You will have received their Green School Newsletter earlier this week, which explains the theme, the work they have done & what is involved in the “Plastic-free Action day”.
Please return immediately, Enrolment Forms for new children starting school in September 2019, if you have not already done so. Additional forms are available from the office.
Any 1st class boys who have not returned their Enrolment form to the Boys National School, please do so as soon as possible.
Our annual Book Fair supplied by Tara Book Company from Kilcolgan is taking place next week from Tuesday February 12th to Friday 15th from 9 – 10.15a.m. All the children will have an opportunity to view the books. Books can be purchased in any of the following ways:
(a) Book Flyer which includes an Order Form. Please complete form and enclose money in sealed envelope with your Child’s name and Teacher’s name, and give it to class teacher. (This will be given to the children on Monday)
(b) Parents, children or parents & children together are invited to purchase books on the above days at the specified time. Parents may collect their children from the classroom.
- Books will be available to suit all pockets. The cost of books will be rounded to the nearest euro. There is no pressure on any family to purchase books.
- The following parents have very kindly volunteered to help during the week: Joanne Melia Costello, Deirdre Leech, Louise Byrne, Mary Claire Doyle, Karen Frazer, Rachel Moore, Eiranne Heffernan, Eileen Caulfield, Catherine McCarthy, Shelly Herterich & Mary Ryan.
- To celebrate and mark the Book Fair event, Eddie Lenihan, the legendary Irish Seanchaí will provide workshops for 2nd up to 6th class on Tuesday February 12th. The Parents’ Council will finance these workshops.
The 6th class girls will be making their Confirmation on Saturday February 16th at 12pm. The staff wish the girls a very special & memorable day. The Parents’ Council will finance a party for them after the mid-term break.
Our Annual Church Gate Collection will take place during the mid-term break: Saturday & Sunday, February 23rd & 24th. There will be four collection points at the three weekend Masses (Saturday 7.30pm, Sunday 11.00am and 7.30pm). We need 8 parents for 30 minutes before each Mass (i.e. a total of 24 volunteers). Tables & boxes can be collected from outside the convent chapel. We still need volunteers to help with this and would be very grateful for your support and help once again. If you are available, please text the Parents’ Council mobile phone 087 4038525 or contact the office.
Engineer’s Week will be celebrated Mon March 4th to Fri March 8th. Ms. Tyrrell our Science Co-ordinator has organised a number of activities which highlight the importance of engineering in our world.
- Some Engineers will be invited to talk to various classes. If you are an engineer or if you know of any engineers who would like to volunteer, please contact the office asap.
This year we are delighted to announce that we have formed a Camogie Committee, consisting of Mr. Naughton, Ms. Tyrrell, Mr. Hanley and Ms. Feeney. (Mr. Byrne will also be assisting on match days). All the girls in 4th class will take part in Camogie training, along with anyone from 5th & 6th who is interested in taking part. Training sessions will take place on Tuesdays between 1.30-2.30pm in the Presentation pitch and will commence on Tues Mar 5th. A detailed letter will be given to the girls in 4th, 5th & 6th in the coming days.
The Board of Management wish to thank all of you who gave the annual Voluntary Contribution during the first term. All donations are greatly appreciated. Donations of €30 per child or €50 per family will still be accepted and appreciated throughout the remainder of the school year.
Please continue to visit our school website @ www.scoilchroinaofaathenry.ie for up-to-date school news, photos and events.
We are in the process of developing our own school Youtube Channel under the guidance of Chris Bronowicki (Alicia’s Dad), our resident IT consultant. This exciting facility will allow us to upload group school videos to the website for you to watch at home and for our pupils to watch in school. It is our way of sharing some of the fantastic things your children do and experience in school with you. An example of such activities would be recent Science workshops that took place in the school, a basketball challenge between the teachers and pupils on National Fitness Day and footage of our wonderful Medieval Town Band performing. Our YT channel will be moderated by school staff.
We are always striving to improve the website; please forward any ideas/suggestions to [email protected].
- Stay Safe will be taught in all classes this term. Please see this link for more information: https://pdst.ie/StaySafeParents
- The Literacy Lift Off Programme is continuing in Mrs Murray’s Senior Infants. Every child is bringing home a new book each night (including Friday) and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
- The Maths Blast / Problem Solving Programme has commenced in Mrs Greally’s 4th class & Mr McDonald’s 3rd class this week.
- Staff Meeting on Thursday, February 7th. All children go home at 1.15pm.
- Book Fair will take place Tuesday Feb 12th to Friday Feb 15th.
- Confirmation for 6th class girls will take place on Saturday, February 16th at 12pm.
- The school will be closed for the Mid Term Break from Monday Feb 18th to Friday Feb 22nd. School re-opens on Monday Feb 25th.
- Annual Church Gate Collection takes place on Sat & Sun Feb 23rd & 24th.
- The next Cash for Clobber collection is scheduled for Tuesday February 26th
- The School Photographer County Photos will visit the school on Wednesday February 27th
- Tea / Coffee morning for Parents of children in Senior Infants will take place on Friday March 1st.
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Friday April 5th as this is an in-service day for staff
Extra-curricular activities for Jan / Feb:
- Mon: Basketball Club for 3rd & 4th (there will be no club on Mon Feb 11th. An extra date will be added at the end to make up for this)
- Tues: Drama Club for 3rd & 4th classes
- Tues: Science Club for Junior Infants
- Tues: Gaeilge Club for 1st class
- Tues: Spanish Club for 3rd, 4th & 5th classes
- Wed: Quiz Club with Mr Hanley
- Thurs: Basketball Club for 5th & 6th (re-commencing Thurs Feb 14th for 6 weeks)
- There are a few copies of “The Clarin River from Source to the Sea” 2019 calendar available to buy from the office. This calendar features the photos of some of our pupils. The calendars cost €5 each. All proceeds are in aid of the Athenry & Clarinbridge Tidy Towns Committees.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Fergal Naughton, Principal