Dear Parents Issue: 14 January 23rd 2019
Congratulations to the Green School committee & Mrs Greally. They entered a slogan competition run by Galway County Council where the theme was to keep Galway litter free. Chloe, Cathriona, Emma, Éabha and Lucy won the competition with the following slogans and received a prize of €50 for the class!!
- “Keep Galway litter free, it’s not hard, look and see”
- “’From Connemara to Corofin and everywhere in, put litter in the bin”
- “Don’t be mean, when Galway can be clean”
- “Help Galway win, put your rubbish in the bin”
- “We can work together to make Galway clean, we can work as a team”
Their slogans will be used by Galway County Council for their Anti-litter campaign.
Enrolment Forms for new children starting school in September 2019 have been distributed. Please complete and return by Friday February 1st. Additional forms are available from the office.
Mr John Connolly Principal of the Boys National School visited the boys from 1st class earlier in January. Enrolment forms for the Boys National School should be completed & returned to the Boys School as soon as possible.
We wish Mr Hanley & the quiz club teams the very best of luck tonight in the annual Kilchreest Table Quiz. It takes place this evening at 7pm in St. Brigid’s vocational school Loughrea. The next Quiz club event is the Credit Union Table Quiz which takes place in Clarin College on Sunday, February 3rd at 2pm.
Catholic Schools’ Week is being celebrated nationally from Sunday, January 27th to Saturday February 2nd. The theme this year is “Celebrating the work of our local Catholic schools”. Grandparents are invited to visit the school on Grandparents’ Day, Wednesday January 30th from 10.45am -12.00pm. They will visit their grandchildren’s classrooms and afterwards refreshments will be provided. We want to honour and celebrate grandparents for the important part they play in the community and most significantly in the lives of their grandchildren. Parents Council seek help from volunteers to assist with making teas & coffee on Grandparents day. If you are free, please text Parents’ Council mobile phone: 087 4038525.
Sincere thanks to Diana Szabo (mother of Alicia Siudy in Mr Byrne’s 1st class) who has volunteered to provide a Cookery Workshop for the children in Mr Byrne’s class on Wednesday February 6th.
The Green School Committee will hold a “Plastic Free Action day” on Thursday February 7th. The girls are putting together a Green School Newsletter which will explain the theme, the work they have done & what is involved in the “Plastic-free Action day”. The newsletter will be e-mailed to all parents.
The Board of Management wish to thank all of you who gave the annual Voluntary Contribution during the first term. All donations are greatly appreciated. Donations of €30 per child or €50 per family will still be accepted and appreciated throughout the remainder of the school year.
- Please continue to visit our school website @ www.scoilchroinaofaathenry.ie for up-to-date school news, photos and events.
- All newsletters are available in the Parents Hub on the homepage
- We are taking part in the Discover Primary Science and Maths Award Programme again this year under the stewardship of Ms Tyrrell. Our entry this year will be done via the website. All SCN Science activities, workshops, lessons and events will be uploaded to our Science Page which can now be accessed on the homepage.
- Mr Hanley has taken over the Quiz page in the Children’s Hub. Keep a look out for his monthly quizzes; they promise to challenge you!
- We are in the process of developing our own school Youtube Channel under the guidance of Chris Bronowicki (Alicia’s Dad) , our resident IT consultant. This exciting facility will allow us to upload group school videos to the website for you to watch at home and for our pupils to watch in school. It is our way of sharing some of the fantastic things your children do and experience in school with you. An example of such activities would be recent Science workshops that took place in the school, a basketball challenge between the teachers and pupils on National Fitness Day and footage of our wonderful Medieval Town Band performing. Our YT channel will be moderated by school staff. If anyone has a query or questions in relation to this new website feature, please make contact with the school before Friday Feb 1st.
- We are always striving to improve the website; please forward any ideas/suggestions to [email protected] . A special thank you again to Chris for his generosity in sharing his expertise with us.
- Stay Safe will be taught in all classes this term. Please see this link for more information: https://pdst.ie/StaySafeParents
- The Literacy Lift Off Programme is currently continuing in Mrs Murray’s Senior Infants. Every child is bringing home a new book each night (including Friday) and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
- The Maths Blast / Problem Solving Programme was delivered in Miss Murray’s & Mrs Monson’s 5th & 6th classes for the last two weeks. It has commenced in Mr Byrne’s & Mrs Forde’s 1st classes this week.
- Thank you to all the parents that organised the Junior Infant Tea/Coffee morning last week. It was a lovely morning and it was great to meet so many parents. We will schedule a similar morning for Senior Infant parents in the coming weeks.
- If anyone is available to assist with making teas & coffee on Grandparents day, please text Parents’ Council mobile phone on: 087 4038525.
- Next Parents Council meeting is Mon Feb 4th at 7.30pm. All parents welcome.
- Our annual Book Fair supplied by Tara Book Co from Kilcolgan is taking place from Tues Feb 12th to Fri Feb 15th. We need parental assistance to run the book fair, so if you are available please text Parents’ Council mobile phone on: 087 4038525 and let us know what day you are available to help.
- Our Annual Church Gate Collection will take place during the mid-term break: Sat & Sun, Feb 23rd & 24th. There will be four collection points at the three weekend masses (Sat 7.30pm, Sun 11.00am and 7.30pm). We need 8 parents for 30 minutes before each Mass (i.e. a total of 24 volunteers). Tables & boxes can be collected from outside the convent chapel. We would be very grateful for your support and help. If you are available, please text the Parents’ Council mobile phone 087 4038525.
- Claire Grenham (An Garda Síochána) will deliver a talk on Cyber Bullying & Internet Safety to 6th class on Monday January 28th.
- The next Communion Preparation Mass is on Sunday, January 27th at 11am
- Service of Light for Confirmation children on Thursday, January 31st at 7pm.
- Parents Council meeting Monday February 4th at 7.30pm
- Staff Meeting on Thursday, February 7th. All children go home at 1.15pm.
- Confirmation for 6th class girls will take place on Saturday, February 16th at 12pm.
- The next Cash for Clobber collection is scheduled for Tuesday February 26th
- The School Photographer County Photos will visit the school on Wednesday February 27th
- There will be NO SCHOOL on Friday April 5th as this is an in-service day for staff
Extra-curricular activities for Jan / Feb:
- Mon: Basketball Club for 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th commencing Mon Jan 28th for 7 weeks
- Tues: Drama Club for 3rd & 4th classes
- Tues: Science Club for Junior Infants
- Tues: Gaeilge Club for 1st class
- Tues: Spanish Club for 3rd, 4th & 5th classes
- Wed: Quiz Club with Mr Hanley
- Coldwood 4 Mile Run & Walk on Sun Jan 27th. Visit coldwoodnationalshcool.clr.events to register or register on the day at Coldwood National School hall from 9.30am. All are welcome. Junior Run at 10am costs €5 per child. Senior Run at 11am costs €15 per adult.
- There are a few copies of “The Clarin River from Source to the Sea” 2019 calendar available to buy from the office. This calendar features the photos of some of our pupils. The calendars cost €5 each. All proceeds are in aid of the Athenry & Clarinbridge Tidy Towns Committees.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Fergal Naughton, Principal