Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 11 16th January 2017
The staff and I hope you and your families had a very happy, peaceful Christmas. We wish you health and blessings for this New Year.
Sincere congratulations to all the staff for all their hard work in preparing the children for the Christmas Concerts. All the children gave a terrific performance. We were so proud of them. Thank you for your support and co-operation over the three nights. A word of gratitude to Parents’ Council and volunteers who assisted the staff at the doors, with the raffles and the stage. A special thanks to those of you who donated costumes, props and spot prizes. We are delighted to inform you that we have raised €3,790.17 on door tickets and €1,365.46 on raffles.
The Board of Management wish to thank all of you who gave the Voluntary Contribution during the first term. All donations are greatly appreciated. Donations of €30 per child or €50 per family will still be accepted and appreciated throughout the remainder of the school year.
The staff wish to thank all of you who have donated very generously some of the following items to the school; CD/DVDs, costumes, toys, books, jigsaws, educational games, school uniforms etc.
Enrolment Forms for new children starting school in September 2017 will be distributed this week. Please complete and return by Tuesday, the 31st of January. Forms are available in the office.
- The Literacy Lift Off Programme is currently being implemented in Mr. Wallace’s class. Every child is bringing home a new book each night and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
- The Maths Blast programme will commence in Ms. Tyrrell’s class today for two weeks where the children will become very familiar with the number concept, play number games, and handle maths equipment.
- A new Oral Language Programme under the leadership of Miss Sheridan will commence in her class today for two weeks now and after mid-term break, where the children will engage in receptive and expressive language activities to include fine motor skill activities.
- Joyce and class teacher will teach the six week Colour Strings Programme to Mr. Hanley’s Senior Infants, Mrs. Murray’s Senior Infants and Ms. Monaghan’s 1st & 2nd class on Fridays.
Extra Curricular Activities: If your child wishes to enrol in the following activities please pay by cash or cheque payable to the teacher concerned. Bookings are on a first come first serve basis.
- Miss Sheridan will provide a Senior Infants’ Art Club for 5 weeks commencing 17th of January) from 2.45pm to 3.45pm at a cost of €25.
- Mr McDonald will coach Basketball to children from 4th up to 6th on Mondays commencing Monday the 23rd of January for 6 weeks from 2.30pm to 3.30pm at a cost of €18.
- Ms Tyrrell will provide a Science Club for 3rd & 4th classes on Tuesdays for 5 weeks commencing January 24th from 2.30pm to 3.30pm at a cost of €25 (except Tues Feb 14th, where club will be held on Mon Feb 13th instead).
Mr. Hanley will re-commence coaching for Table Quiz on Tuesdays from 2.30 – 3.30pm. Four teams have been selected to participate in the Kilchreest Table Quiz which will be held in the Meadow Court Hotel, Loughrea this Thursday January 19th at 7.15pm. Two teams have also been selected to participate in the Credit Union Table Quiz which will be held in Clairin College on Sunday January 29th at 2pm.
Peter O Hara Connaught Rugby Coach will provide six workshops for the children in Mr. Wallace’s first class, Ms. Alani’s first class and Ms Monaghan’s 1st & 2nd class on Thursdays.
Mrs Leggett is a member of our staff, a Youth Football/Soccer Coach and Chairperson of the local Football /Soccer Club. She will provide soccer workshops for all the children during the remainder of this school year.
A representative from Dogs Trust will provide workshops for the following classes this Thursday: Mrs. Murray & Mr. Hanley’s Senior Infants, Ms Monaghan’s 1st & 2nd class, Ms Alani’s 1st class and Mr. Mc Donald’s 2nd class
Transition Assessment Tests for 6th class pupils will take place in the Presentation College on Saturday, January 21st from 9.30 – 11.30am. Principal will address parents at 10am.
The next Communion Preparation Mass will take place on Sunday, January 22nd at 11am.
Enrolment forms for the Boys National School have been distributed. Please complete and return by Monday the 23rd of January.
Mrs. Monson’s Sixth Class will attend a Chef Demo on Pizza Making in Milanos Restaurant on Wednesday week the 25th of January. Many thanks to the Parents’ Council for financing transport.
Parent/Teacher Meetings will be held on Wednesday and Thursday, January 25th & 26th. All children will go home at 1.15pm on both days. Appointments will be given to the children this week. Please make sure that you check your child’s school bag. If you are unable to attend on a particular day or time please notify the class teacher.
Catholic Schools’ Week is being celebrated nationally from Sunday, January 29th to Saturday February 4th. The theme this year is learning with Pope Francis to care for our common home. It is our responsibility to care for our world and make it a better place for the next generation. Grandparents are invited to visit the school on Grandparents’ Day which will take place on Wednesday February 1st from 10.45 – 12.00 am. They will visit their grandchildren’s classrooms and afterwards refreshments will be provided. We want to honour and celebrate grandparents for the important part they play in the community and most significantly in the lives of their grandchildren. Parents Council seek help from volunteers to assist with making teas & coffee on Grandparents day. If you are free, please text Parents’ Council mobile phone: 087 4038525.
- The next Parent’s Council Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, the 1st of February at 8pm. All parents are welcome to attend any of these meetings.
- There will be a Staff Meeting on Thursday the 2nd of February. Children will go home at 1.15pm.
- Confirmation girls will attend a Service of Light in the Church on Thursday, February 2nd at 7.30pm.
- Parents’ Council are organising a Table Quiz in Dowling’s Bar on Friday, February 3rd at 8.30pm.
- There will be no school on Tuesday the 14th of February as the staff will be attending inservice on the new Primary Language Curriculum
- Confirmation will take place on Saturday, the 18th of February at 2.30pm.
Yours sincerely_____________________________ Teresa Neylon, Principal