Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 11 December 5th 2017
Congratulations to the 174 children who performed at The Lighting of the Christmas Tree last Friday. The children put a lot of hard work into preparing for this performance; practice began back as early as September. The staff are very proud of them all. A very sincere thank you to all of you who supported us, and to the Parents’ Council who provided refreshments for the children.
The Parents’ Council are organising a Monster Raffle. The raffle is scheduled to take place at 11am on Thursday, December 21st in our school hall. There will be many prizes. The Parents’ Council would very much appreciate if parents would like to donate items or vouchers for the raffle, which can be forwarded to the office. Sincere thank you for all spot prizes received to date. We would very much appreciate your support in making this a successful event. Please see details below:
- Each family has received a numbered card
- Each line on the card is €2 each so each card is worth €20
- Cards must be returned whether filled or not
- When card is complete, please send card and money into the secretary
- Families can request additional cards if so desired
- We are encouraging children to ask family and close neighbours for sponsorship as their safety is of utmost importance
All cards and money have to be returned before Monday, December 18th, whether they are complete or not. We appreciate your support once again.
Ms Maria Monaghan will provide a Yoga Club to children in 6th class on Tuesdays from 2.30-3.30pm for 6 weeks at a cost of €18. First session will commence today December 5th. Please note places will be limited, need to be booked in advance and are on a first come, first served basis. If you are paying by cheque, please make the cheque payable to the teacher.
The following Transition Year students (past pupils) will be on work experience in the school over the next three weeks: Sarah Ryan, Katelyn Tuffy, Hannah Lane, Emily Crotty, Leah Crotty, Maria Donohue, Conor Gorton, Emma Flannery, Sahara Rose Farris & Aoife Hallissey.
Cathy Vaughan (mother of Ruby & Harry Dalton) together with her colleagues from the Brothers of Charity will do a follow up presentation to the girls from 2nd to 5th classes on Thursday December 7th. This is to show the girls what was done with the Dream Catchers that they made for the National Advocacy Conference back in September.
Fifth & Sixth classes will attend the Musical Guys & Dolls in the Presentation College on Thursday, December 7th at a cost of €3 per person.
Friday December 8th is a Holy Day; therefore the children from 2nd up to 6th class will attend Mass.
We will be having a visit from the Diocesan Primary Catechetics team on Friday December 8th at 9.30am. The main purpose of the visit is to support the teachers in implementing the new religious programme.
Gerry Spellman from the Galway GAA Coaching Committee will assist the staff in coaching camogie/hurling to children in First Class every Friday for the next few weeks.
Staff and children will participate in a Carol Service on Tuesday the 19th of December.
Our pupils will perform their Peace Proms repertoire with other primary schools in the county, in NUI Galway on Sunday January 21st at 8pm. Tickets are available on the www.peaceproms.com website.
The Green School Committee are recommending that children do not exchange Christmas Cards at school. This is our way of caring for the environment and reducing the amount of waste paper as well as cutting cost to families due to the current economic climate.
The Board of Management has introduced an annual Voluntary Contribution for each family, as a result of reduced funding towards the running costs of the school. The Board is seeking a contribution of €30 per child or €50 per family. We would be very grateful for your donation. Sincere thanks to those who have already given the contribution, it is very much appreciated. In the light of the economic climate, staff have requested that no gifts be given to them throughout the year. Instead however, your appreciation of staff can be acknowledged in your Voluntary Contribution.
- Do this in Memory Mass for 2nd class children and their parents on Sunday December 17th at 11am in the church
- Christmas Holidays – School closes on Friday December 22nd at 11:45am, school re-opens on Monday January 8th 2018
- Transition Assessments for Presentation College Athenry on Saturday January 20th 2018
- Confirmation Commitment Mass on Sunday January 21st 2018 at 11am in the church.
- Parent Teacher Meetings for children in Junior Infants are scheduled for Wednesday & Thursday, January 24th & 25th Children in Junior & Senior Infants will go home at 1.15pm on those days.
- Grandparents will be invited to Grandparents Day which will take place on Wednesday January 31st 2018 as part of Catholic School Week.
- Service of Light for Confirmation children at 7.30pm on Thursday February 1st 2018
- There will be a Staff Meeting on Thursday, February 1st. All children will go home at 1.15pm.
- There will be no school on Wednesday February 7th as the staff will be attending inservice on the new Primary Language Curriculum.
- Confirmation for 6th class girls will take place at 2.30pm on Saturday, February 24th 2018 in the church.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal