Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 10 November 28th 2018
A very sincere thanks to Miss Tyrrell for organising the “Xperimental Science Show” to come to our school last Friday. It was a very interesting (& entertaining!) show. All the children enjoyed it very much.
Huge congrats to Eva, Lizzy, Maya, Victoria & Kaceyleigh for having their unique photograph of Athenry featured in the annual River Clarin: From the source to the sea calendar. Watch out for this calendar which is due to hit the shelves shortly!!
Parents are reminded that all School Absences are to be communicated with the school. We would appreciate that you would use your child’s homework notebook for this purpose (1st to 6th). Parents of infant children who don’t have a homework diary are asked to write a note explaining the absence. Failure to properly communicate children’s absences in the past has had the school engage with our Education Welfare Officer. We care that all our pupils are in school every day when they should be and on the rare occasion that they might not be, we need that absence to be accounted for. Thanking you for your cooperation
Parent/Teacher Meetings for Mr McDonald’s 3rd class are taking place today & tomorrow. Your child will have received an appointment.
The Lighting of the Christmas Tree will take place tomorrow Friday, November 30th, at 7pm at the Square. The Medieval Town Band has been invited once again to perform at the ceremony. The children are putting a lot of hard work into this performance and we would be very grateful if you would support us by being present on this occasion. All band members (children from 2nd up to 6th class) are requested:-
- To arrive in school at 6:00pm (Gates & yard doors will be locked, so please use one of the 3 front doors)
- To wear their full school uniform, navy tights and dark coloured shoes or boots
- To wear extra layers under their uniform.
- To bring their raincoat.
- To wear their hair in plaits, if possible.
- To wear Santa Claus hats or reindeer hair bands (optional).
- Children will be supplied with band sweaters.
- Children can be collected after they return to
Classes have been busy making Christmas decorations and wishes under the guidance of Mrs. Monson and her class for Christmas trees located around Athenry. Make sure to look out for their wonderful work when the Athenry Christmas lights are turned on.
Sixth Class and parents are invited to the next Parish Confirmation Mass on Sunday December 3rd at 11.00a.m.
Parent / teacher meetings for all classes (except Mr McDonald’s 3rd class) will take place on Tuesday December 4th & Wednesday December 5th. All children will go home at 1.15pm on both of these days, to facilitate the parent/teacher meetings.
Fifth & Sixth classes will attend the “Footloose” musical presented by Presentation College on Thursday, December 6th at a cost of €3 per person.
Mr McDonald’s third class will be taking a bus to Galway on Friday December 7th to attend a Writing Workshop entitled “Fighting Words” in the Town Hall. Sincere thanks to the Parents Council who are funding the cost of the bus.
The Literacy Lift Off intensive Reading and Writing programme is continuing in Mrs Forde’s 1st class. Every child will bring home a new book each night (including Friday) and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
Gerry Spellman from the Galway GAA Coaching Committee is continuing to assist the staff in coaching camogie/hurling to Mr Byrne’s 1st class every Friday between now & Christmas.
It was agreed to hold a “Monster Raffle” before Christmas, as the main fund-raising event. The raffle will take place the week before the holidays, in our school hall. The Parents’ Council would very much appreciate if parents would like to donate items or vouchers for the raffle, which can be forwarded to the office.
We would very much appreciate your support in making this a successful event. Please see details below:
- Each family will receive a numbered card next week
- Each line on the card will be €2 each so each card is worth €20
- Cards must be returned whether filled or not
- When card is complete, please send card and money into the secretary
- Families can request additional cards if so desired
- We are encouraging children to ask family and close neighbours for sponsorship as their safety is of utmost importance
- All cards and money should be returned before Friday December 14th, whether they are complete or not. We appreciate your support once again.
Next Parents Council meeting is Wednesday December 5th at 7.30pm – all parents are welcome. Thank you to all the parents who have volunteered to be “class representatives”. The role of the class representative will be discussed at this meeting.
Timetable of Extra-curricular activities that are currently running in the school:
- Mon: Spanish Club for 5th & 6th class
- Mon: Science Club for 1st class
- Wed: Club Gaeilge for 2nd & 3rd class (Note: there will be no Gaeilge Club on Wed Dec 5th, because of the parent teacher meetings. The club will be held on Thurs Dec 6th for that week).
Dates for Diary:
- Fri Nov 30th: Band performing at lighting of the Christmas Tree
- Sun Dec 2nd: 11am Confirmation mass
- Sat Jan 19th 9.30am: Presentation College Transition Assessment
- Sat Feb 16th at 12 noon: Confirmation for 6th class
- Sat May 25th at 12 noon: First Holy Communion for 2nd Class
- Athenry Christmas lights will be turned on at 7pm on Friday November 30th. All children are invited to write a letter to Santa and bring it to the Christmas Craft fair on Saturday. There will be a prize for the best letter.
- Athenry Christmas Craft Fair in Athenry Community Hall on Saturday December 1st 11am – 5pm.