Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents December 9th 2016
Congratulations to the 150 children who performed at The Lighting of the Christmas Tree last Friday. The children put a lot of hard work into preparing for this performance; practice began back as early as September. The staff were very proud of them all. A very sincere thank you to the Parents Council who provided refreshments for the children and to all of you who supported us.
Congratulations to Kalina Skrzyszewska who was awarded 1st prize in her category at the Christmas Art Competition hosted by Art and Crafts Christmas committee last weekend.
The following Transition Year students (past pupils) will be on work experience in the school over the next three weeks: Amelia Deacon, Orla De Vere, Aoibhinn Carr, Amy Moore & Edel Carty.
CHRISTMAS CONCERT NEWS
All the children and staff are preparing for our Gala Christmas Concert which will be taking place in the Assembly Hall on Tuesday 13th, Wednesday 14th & Thursday 15th of December. The staff have put a tremendous amount of work into preparing the children. The children are really excited and looking forward to performing for you, your family and friends. The Board of Management have very kindly purchased a stage for our concerts.
The concert will commence at 7.00pm each night. The following classes will perform on the different nights, as listed below:
|Tues Dec 13th
||Wed Dec 14th
||Thurs Dec 15th
|Junior Infants A (Ms O’Byrne)
||Junior Infants B (Ms Sheridan)
||Senior Infants C (Ms Tyrrell)
|Senior Infants A (Mr Hanley)
||Senior Infants B (Mrs Murray)
||1st & 2nd Class (Ms Monaghan)
|1st Class (Ms Alani)
||1st Class (Mr Wallace)
||3rd Class (Mrs Hennessey)
|2nd Class (Mr McDonald)
||4th Class (Mrs Greally)
||6th Class (Mrs Monson)
|5th Class (Ms Murray)
Tickets will cost €7.50 per adult and €3 per child. Family tickets are also available for €20 for two adults and two or more children. There are a number of families who have more than two children and will be attending two performances. These families will pay for the first night and retain their ticket for the next night. Tickets are available for purchase from the office and we recommend that you purchase them in advance, to avoid delays on the night.
The staff and I seek your co-operation with the following in preparation for the concerts:
Volunteers are requested to meet with Parents Council at 6.15pm in the Principal’s Office. Enter through main entrance door (located beside the offices).
- Children performing will enter the main entrance door at 6.30pm. Staff will be present to assist the class teacher with costumes.
- There will be two entrances on the night for the public: the Prefab front door & the Senior side yard door. People will not be permitted to enter the hall from behind the stage, due to Health & Safety concerns.
- With respect to the children on stage, the staff and all audience members, please do not record the performances with tablets or phones, as it will distract the children on stage and will curtail the viewing for people beside you. There will be an opportunity for people to take photos after each class has performed.
- Junior & Senior infants will be allowed to go home after the Senior Infants perform, if they don’t have a sibling who is performing later in the night. If they have, then they will remain in the classroom until the end of the concert. They will have an opportunity to watch DVDs and play games.
- When the Junior & Senior infant classes have performed they may be collected from the classrooms behind the stage. You can exit the hall through the doors you entered and re-enter the building through the main entrance door.
- Children will get treats after they perform
- They will have an opportunity to see all the performances during dress rehearsals.
- Children performing and their siblings, may come to school at 10.30am on the following day, if you wish. Staff will be present as normal.
The Parents Council play a major role in assisting staff on concert nights.
- They are still seeking volunteers for Wednesday & Thursday nights. Please text your name & availability to 087 4038525.
- The Parents Council are organising the raffles, proceeds of which go towards funding workshops, transport, treats etc for your children. Raffle tickets will be sold as people enter the hall. Tickets will cost €2 per strip or €5 for 3 strips. People’s phone numbers will be noted on the back of tickets, to facilitate us being able to contact winners, should they have left early with Junior & Senior infants. The raffle draw will take place before each of the final two performances, on each night.
- We wish to sincerely thank all people who so generously donated spot prizes over the last few days.
- A special thanks to Kim Somers who has donated a huge amount of costumes & props to the school. They have been put to excellent use with the concerts and the gesture is greatly appreciated!
- Special thanks also to the following who gave up their time so generously last Saturday to assemble the new stage: Damian Hynes, Tony Hough, Conor Gallagher, Wiseslaw & Sandra Bedynek and Nick Kennedy.
Staff and children will participate in a Carol Service during the last week of school.
Santa Claus will also visit the children during that week.
The Board of Management has introduced an annual Voluntary Contribution for each family, as a result of reduced funding towards the running costs of the school. The Board is seeking a contribution of €30 per child or €50 per family. We would be very grateful for your donation. Sincere thanks to those who have already given the contribution, it is very much appreciated.
In the light of the economic climate, staff have requested that no gifts be given to them throughout the year. Instead however, your appreciation of staff can be acknowledged in your Voluntary Contribution.
Please check your child’s hair regularly to ensure that any infection of head lice is treated at once. Long hair should be tied back. Incidences of head lice have recently been reported in three classes: Mr Hanley Senior Infants, Mr Wallace 1st Class, Mr McDonald 2nd Class.
- Do this in memory mass for 2nd class children and their parents this Sunday Dec 12th in the church at 11pm.
- Christmas Holidays – School closes on Thursday, the 22nd of December at 11:45am, school re-opens on Monday Jan 9th
- Parent Teacher Meetings are scheduled for the 25th & 26th of January 2017.
- Grandparents will be invited to Grandparents Day which will take place on Wednesday Feb 1st 2017 as part of Catholic School Week.
The staff wish you and your families a very Happy, Peaceful, Healthy and Safe Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal