Email: [email protected]
Dear Parents Issue: 01 September 3rd 2018
At the beginning of the school year, may I take this opportunity on behalf of the staff, to welcome all the children back to school. I hope they will have a happy experience in school and that by co-operation and mutual understanding between home and school, we will be able to work together for the children’s benefit.
I wish to inform you that I will be retiring on the 1st of October 2018 after 24 years service. However I will continue to be involved in education. I will be engaged as Tutor in N.U.I.G. for Aspiring Leaders in Education. I will also mentor newly appointed principals. I wish to thank you all for you co-operation, support and kindness.
Mrs Hennessy has commenced her maternity leave. We wish her and her family all the very best at this special time. Miss Sinéad Moloney is teaching her Senior Infant class.
It was decided during the last school year that from this September there will no longer be a Paper Copy of the Newsletter sent home in the children’s bags. This is in line with our Green School Philosophy. This is the only paper copy of the Newsletter which will be sent home this year. It has also been e-mailed to everyone. If you did not receive this newsletter by e-mail – please contact the office to ensure that we have your current e-mail address. The newsletter will continue to be posted to the Website .
We seek your co-operation with the following reminders:
- Staff request all outstanding monies for books, copies, art & craft, photocopying and Literacy Lift Off to be forwarded to the class teacher immediately. Please comply with the following procedure when forwarding money to the school;
- Money should be placed in a sealed envelope.
- The child’s name should be marked on the outside.
- The amount in the envelope should be clearly stated.
- The purpose for which the money is forwarded should also be clearly stated.
- Please label all children’s clothes and belongings clearly including lunchboxes and drink containers.
- Please make sure that your child has Runners for PE.
- All children require an old large shirt (labelled) for Visual Art Activities.
- Please sign your child’s homework.
- Check your child’s hair to ensure that any infection of head lice is treated at once. Long hair should be tied back.
First class children will not assemble in the yard at home time from Monday, September 10th. Children will leave from their classroom. Please make sure that you arrange with your child where exactly you will collect him/her at 2.30pm, e.g. in the hall, outside offices, inside school wall, buddy bench, gate, top yard or Church etc.
The Board of Management recommends that all pupils avail of the Schools Personal Accident Insurance. You will find the application form attached to the paper copy of this letter. Please complete this form and forward either €6.00 or €9.00 depending on whatever option you choose by Friday September 21st.
In the interest of safety and due to the large number of junior infants:
- parents of children from senior infants up to 6th class are requested to say goodbye to their children in the morning as they line up in the yard at 8.45a.m.
- parents of junior infants will continue bringing their child to the classroom and collecting from the classroom up to Friday week September 14th.
The Board of Management have introduced a safe system for entering and leaving the school grounds. We seek your co-operation with the following:
- No cars are allowed onto school grounds except in exceptional circumstances agreed with principal. All cars should be parked outside the school grounds in the car parks outside the school gates and at the Church.
- Please ensure that your child does not walk on the wall. They have been reminded of this numerous times.
- For those of you collecting your children at 1.30pm please be aware that there are classes working in the prefabs. We would be grateful if your children could be kept reasonably quiet while passing. Please remind them also, that they are not allowed to go up and down the steps of the prefabs.
- Please note that Presentation College Secondary School finish at 1.20pm on Fridays, as a result there will be difficulty parking and a lot of traffic.
Please ensure this message regarding the safe system is passed on to the person bringing your child to and from school.
The Board of Management will not accept responsibility for children in the school yard before 8.45am or after 2.30pm unless they are attending Extra Curricular Activities.
The staff of Scoil Chroí Naofa consider punctuality to be of paramount importance. Please ensure that your child is in school by 8.50am to avoid constant disruption to morning prayers and to the beginning of the school day for teachers.
In accordance with Section 18 of the Education Welfare Act 2000, when a pupil is absent for part or all of a school day, parent(s) must notify teacher or Principal of the reasons for the pupil’s absence. If a pupil is absent for more than 20 days during the school year, the school authorities must inform the Education Welfare Board who consult with parents.. In order to comply with the Act, staff and I need your cooperation with the following
- If your child is absent, please write a note to teacher stating the reason and give it to your child on the day your child is returning. It is unnecessary to phone as well.
- If your child has to leave the school during the school day, the person who is collecting your child must sign him/her out at the Secretary’s Office.
The Department of Education and Science has introduced Child Protection Procedures for Primary Schools in relation to Child Protection and Welfare. The Board of Management has adopted these procedures as School Policy. Consequently if there is a matter of concern in relation to the abuse of children we are obliged to report this to Túsla, who will assess the case and provide the necessary support for the child concerned.
Some children have a severe nut allergy therefore all nuts are forbidden. Please provide your child with fruit/veg for first break. Children are not allowed to bring any food out to the yard except fruit/veg.
If you change address, email or phone numbers, please inform secretary so she can update school records.
During the coming year we will be submitting articles and photos to the Connacht Tribune, the Tuam Herald and the Athenry News & Views Magazine, etc. If you do not wish your child’s name or photo to be submitted please contact the school.
The staff and Parents Council have discussed the following and seek your co-operation in the best interests of all children: Birthday invitations should not be distributed on the school premises as it causes upset to the children who are not invited.
Please see overleaf the School Calendar for 2018/2019 in order for you to plan your holidays accordingly.
With every good wish for the year ahead.
Teresa Neylon, Principal
Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Email: [email protected]
SCHOOL CALENDAR 2018/2019
SCHOOL OPENING: Thursday 30th of August
MID TERM BREAK: Monday 29th of October to Friday 2nd of November
School re-opens on Monday, the 5th of November
CHRISTMAS BREAK: Friday 21st of December to Friday 4th of January
School closes on Friday 21st of December
School re-opens on Monday, the 7th of January.
MID TERM BREAK: Monday 18th to Friday 22nd of February
School re-opens on Monday, the 25th of February
- PATRICK’S DAY School closed on Monday 18th of March
EASTER BREAK: Monday 15th of April to Friday 26th of April
School closes on Friday 12th of April
School re-opens on Monday, the 29th of April
BANK HOLIDAY: School closed Monday 6th of May
BANK HOLIDAY: School closed Monday 3rd of June & Tuesday 4th of June
SUMMER HOLIDAYS: School closes on Friday, the 28th of June.
Please Note: This calendar could be subject to change as part of contingency arrangements to make up for time lost due to unforeseen school closures. You will be given adequate notice of any changes.