Sport in Scoil Chroí Naofa 2017-2018
Cross Country Running – September 2017
Our SCN athletes pictured below participated in the semi finals of the Athletic Association Irish Primary Schools Cross Country Championship in Renmore in the second week of September. They came away with an array of medals on the day with stiff competition from a huge number of athletes from local schools. The junior team comprising of Kerri, Anna, Alison, Alice, Sophie and Sophie ran a distance of ……metres while the senior team comprising of Kayla, Leonore , Abigail, Áine, Ciara , Mia and Wiktoria ran 1200 metres. Congratulations to Kayla who came in 1st place, Leonore in 5th place and Abigail in 15th place. The senior team were awarded 1st prize overall and are going forward to the County finals on September 26th. Kerry from 4th Class will be representing the school as an individual in the junior category
Cross Country Running – County Finals – September 2017
Our senior team were awarded second place in the County Galway Finals of the Athletic Association Irish Primary Schools Cross Country Championship in Renmore on September 26th. Kayla, Leonore, Abigail, Ciara, Aine and Mia will go forward to represent the school at the Connacht Finals taking place in Roscommon at the end of October. Kayla and Leonore also received medals in the individual category coming in third and ninth place respectively. Special thanks to Mrs Burke and Mr Byrne for working with the girls in the lead up to this event.
Sport Activities and Events in SCN in 2016-17
Sharon Higgins held a zumba class with a difference in Scoil Chroí Naofa during June. Taking advantage of the good weather, Sharon held an outdoor zumba class with all the children taking part. It was great fun!
Sports Day June 21st 2017
Sports Day was a wonderful day, thanks to Mrs. Monson and the sixth class girls who organised a great variety of activities for all classes. Everyone worked up an appetite for the delicious burgers and hot dogs cooked by Mike.
The school basketball team took part in a basketball blitz in Cregmore school. They played 4 matches and really enjoyed playing against players from other schools.
1st Class has been doing lots of sport lately, including hurling, football, soccer and rugby. Our motto is “Be active, keep active, stay active!”
Sport Activities and Events in SCN in 2015-6
- Children from 2nd up to 6th class had the opportunity to be coached in camogie by Mrs. Burke, Ms. Tyrrell, Mr. Wallace & Mr. Mc Donald and assisted by Michael Helebert /Owen Fahey from the GAA Coaching Committee.
- The school camogie team competed in the INTO Mini Sevens and the Cumann na mBunscoil Blitz. Some of the children from 2nd and 3rd and the school camogie team participate in the annual Athenry Camogie Schools Blitz.
- McDonald coaches basketball. The school team participated in an annual basketball blitz.
- Mr. Wallace provided a Sports Club for children in 1st and 2nd class. The course includes a variety of games, skills and co-operative games.
- Mr. Wallace selected two teams to participate in the Cumann na mBunscoil Cross Country Championship and the Athletic Association Irish Primary Schools Cross Country Championship in Renmore. This year the Junior team was awarded second prize and qualified to the Connacht Finals in Leitrim Gaels in October where they won gold. Congratulations to the following girls; Leonore Church, Kayla Madden, Abigail O’Shea, Ciara Walsh, Rachel Somers and Maeve Fallon.In the individual category at the County Level, Leonore Church was awarded second place and Kayla Madden was awarded third place.
- Mr Wallace also selected sixteen children from 1st up to 6th class to participate in the Cumann na mBunscoil Galway County Primary School Sports in the Regional Sports Centre in Dangan in June. In the under ten category, Kayla Madden was awarded second place and Leonore Church was awarded third place. Special thanks to Mr Wallace who coaches children for athletic events.
- John Burke from the Football Association of Ireland provided football coaching to all the classes. He provided a “Give Racism the Red Card” soccer workshop for a senior class along with a six week course on Football assisted by Michelle Leggett.
- Third class attended Swimming Lessons in Raheen Woods Hotel. A number of children were encouraged to take part in the Community Games Swimming.
- The Galway Community Rugby Officer from Corinthians Rugby Club, Wendy Hickey and Darren Collins provided tag rugby coaching to senior classes