Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Dear Parents Issue: 25 May 27th 2015
Students’ Council are holding their annual Bake Sale this Friday in aid of Our Lady’s Children Hospital in Crumlin. Our school has a special connection with Crumlin as some of our children have been helped, cared for and cured by their dedicated staff. Emma is in 6th class and she has been a patient of Crumlin hospital since she was nine months old. Please read below her experience in her own words.
Fundraising and support can make a difference to the lives of in-patients and out-patients. Money raised will buy urgently needed life-saving equipment, fund vital research and renovation projects. On Bake Sale Day there will be a selection of homemade treats available for children to buy as well as games to play. The Students’ Council would be very appreciative of all donations. If you would like to donate cakes, buns, bread or treats please send them to Room 16 on Friday week. Please also ensure your children have some pocket money on the day. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
MY EXPERIENCE IN CRUMLIN HOSPITAL
“Hi, my name is Emma, I think most of ye know me. For the last 12 years of my life, I have been attending Our Lady’s Hospital for Sick Children in Dublin. I’ll tell ye a small bit of what it was like for me. I had a bone marrow transplant when I was 9 months old, without that transplant I would not be here today. Thanks to the doctors and nurses in Crumlin for giving me the care and giving me a chance to live. When I was 7 years old, I had to have surgery on my back. I was in hospital for 6 weeks. I was not allowed out of bed for 3 of those weeks. I had a halo fitted to my head to try and keep my back straight. The doctors and nurses were so kind to me and my family. While I was in hospital I got to meet Shane Ward, a singer who won X-Factor. Crumlin Hospital has helped me and it’s still ongoing. The girls who organised the Bake Sale are giving the money they will raise to Crumlin Hospital, so please, please support it and buy some lovely goodies to eat.”
Thank you Emma P.T.O:-
Congratulations to the 27 girls in Mr. Mc Donald’s and Mrs. Hennessey’s class who made their First Holy Communion on Sunday. A special thank you to the Parents’ Council who financed a party for them on Monday.
The Cuman na mBunscoil Blitz will take place today in New Inn. We wish Mrs. Burke, Ms. Tyrrell and the team the very best of luck. Thanks again to Parents’ Council who are financing the bus fare.
The Athenry Camogie Club are organising a Blitz in Carnaun pitch tomorrow, Thursday, the 28th of May. Children from 2nd & 3rd class and the Camogie team will participate. Children participating may wear their tracksuits coming to school. A special thank you to Mrs. Burke and Ms. Tyrrell for co-ordinating the teams. Parents’ Council again are financing the bus fare.
There will be no school on Monday and Tuesday the 1st & 2nd of June.
- Hennessy’s 2nd & 3rd class are going to the Adventure World Activity Camp in UL Limerick on Wednesday, the 3rd of June at a cost of €35. The children will depart at 8.15am and arrive home at 6.15pm.
- Monaghan’s 3rd & 4th class are going to Bunratty Castle and the Planet Bowling Alley in Ennis on Wednesday the 3rd of June at a cost of €26. The children will depart at 8.45am and arrive home at 4.15pm.
- Burke’s, Ms. Tyrrell’s and Ms. Treacy’s Senior Infants will visit Turoe Pet Farm on Thursday, the 4th of June at a cost of €19. The children will depart at 9am sharp and arrive home at 2pm.
- Wallace’s 1st class and Mr. McDonald’s 1st & 2nd class are going to the Let’s Go Activity Camp in the Kingfisher Club NUI Galway on Thursday, the 4th of June at a cost of €28. The children will depart at 8.15am and return at 4pm.
- O’Reilly’s, Ms. Sheridan’s and Ms. Alani’s Junior Infants will visit Turoe Pet Farm on Friday, the 5th of June at a cost of €19. The children will depart at 9am sharp and arrive home at 2pm.
- Monson’s 5th class are going to visit Tayto Park in Meath on Friday, the 5th of June at a cost of €32. The children will depart at 8am and arrive home at 6.30pm.
- Murray’s 6th class are going to Adventure Island in Wesport on Friday, the 5th of June at a cost of €40. The children will depart at 7.30am and arrive home at 7pm.
- Parents and children who made their Communion and Confirmation are invited to take part in the Corpus Christi Procession which will take place on Sunday, the 7th of June after the 11am Mass
- The 1st class boys will visit the Boys School on Thursday, the 18th of June at 1pm.
- The Graduation Mass for the 1st class boys and the 6th class girls has been rescheduled to Thursday, the 25th of June at 11am.
Yours sincerely, _______________________Teresa Neylon, Principal