Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Dear Parents Issue: 01 2nd September 2015
At the beginning of the school year, may I take this opportunity on behalf of the staff, to welcome all the children back to school. I hope all the children will have a happy experience in school and that by co-operation and mutual understanding between home and school, we will be able to work together for the children’s benefit.
We seek your co-operation with the following reminders:
- Staff request all outstanding monies for books, copies, art & craft,photocopying and Literacy Lift Off to be forwarded to the class teacher immediately. Please comply with the following procedure when forwarding money to the school;
- Money should be placed in a sealed envelope.
- The child’s name should be marked on the outside.
- The amount in the envelope should be clearly stated.
- The purpose for which the money is forwarded should also be clearly stated.
- Please label all children’s clothes and belongings clearly including lunchboxes and drink containers.
- Please make sure that your child has Runners for PE.
- All children require an old large shirt (labelled) for Visual Art Activities.
- We do not allow Junior Infants to have yogurt or frubies until after Christmas. Please provide your child with a plastic bottle as they find it difficult to open juice cartons and Capri Suns.
- Please sign your child’s homework every night.
- Check your child’s schoolbag regularly for letters.
- Check your child’s hair to ensure that any infection of head lice is treated at once. Long hair should be tied back.
Staff and pupils wish the Galway Minor & Senior Hurling Teams the very best of luck at the All Ireland Finals on Sunday. We would like to honour and support the team by encouraging the children, staff and parents to dress in the Galway colours on Friday, the 4th of September (if you wish).
First class children will not assemble in the hall at home time as of from Monday, the 7th of September. Children will leave from their classroom. Please make sure that you arrange with your child where exactly you will collect him/her at 2.30pm, e.g. at school wall or Church.
The staff have implemented an intensive Reading and Writing programme entitled Literacy Lift Off for senior infants and 1st class over the last few years. It will commence in Mr. Wallace’s class this Monday, the 7th of September for a six week period. Every child will bring home a new book each night and parents are asked to read this book with their child. It is very important that the children are in school on time as the programme commences at 8.50am sharp. These children do not line up for assembly, they go straight to the classroom.
The Board of Management recommends that all pupils avail of the Schools Personal Accident Insurance. Each child will receive a form tomorrow. Please complete this form and forward either €6.00 or €9.00 depending on whatever option you choose by Friday, the 18th of September.
In the interest of safety and due to the large number of junior infants:
- parents of children from senior infants up to 6th class are requested to say goodbye to their children in the morning as they line up in the yard at 8.45a.m.
- parents of junior infants will continue bringing their child to the classroom and collecting from the classroom up to Friday week the 11th of September.
The Board of Management have introduced a safe system for entering and leaving the school grounds. We seek your co-operation with the following:
- No cars are allowed onto school grounds except in exceptional circumstances agreed with princiapal. All cars should be parked outside the school grounds in the car parks outside the school gates and at the Church.
- Please ensure that your child does not walk on the wall. They have been reminded of this numerous times.
- For those of you collecting your children at 1.30pm please be aware that there are classes working in the prefabs. We would be grateful if your children could be kept reasonably quiet while passing. Please remind them also, that they are not allowed to go up and down the steps of the prefab.
Please ensure this message regarding the safe system is passed on to the person bringing your child to and from school.
The Board of Management will not accept responsibility for children in the school yard before 8.45am or after 2.30pm unless they are attending Extra Curricular Activities.
The staff of Scoil Chroí Naofa consider punctuality to be of paramount importance. Please ensure that your child is in school by 8.50am to avoid constant disruption to morning prayers and to the beginning of the school day for teachers.
In accordance with Section 18 of the Education Welfare Act 2000, when a pupil is absent for part or all of a school day, parent/s must notify teacher or Principal of the reasons for the pupil’s absence. If a pupil is absent for more than 20 days during the school year, the school authorities must inform the Education Welfare Board who consult with parents and other appropriate persons. In order to comply with the Act, staff and I need your cooperation with the following
- If your child is absent, please write a note to teacher stating the reason and give it to your child on the day your child is returning. It is unnecessary to phone as well.
- If your child has to leave the school during the school day, the person who is collecting your child must sign him/her out at the Secretary’s Office.
The Department of Education and Science has introduced Guidelines and Procedures for all schools in relation to Child Protection and Welfare. These guidelines promote the welfare of all children. The Board of Management has adopted these guidelines as School Policy. Consequently if there is a matter of concern in relation to the abuse of children we are obliged to report this to the local Health Board, who will assess the case and provide the necessary support for the child concerned.
Some children have a severe nut allergy. The staff and I are seeking your co-operation in providing your child with fruit/veg for first break. Children are not allowed to bring any food out to the yard except fruit/veg.
If you change address, email or phone numbers, please inform secretary so she can update school records.
During the coming year we will be submitting articles and photos to the Connacht Tribune, the Tuam Herald and the Athenry News & Views Magazine, etc. If you do not wish your child’s name or photo to be submitted please contact the school.
A number of parents last year received the regular newsletters by email. Over the coming few weeks we will include all parents who have forwarded an email address on the enrolment form. If for any reason you do not wish to be included, please inform the secretary.
The staff and Parents Council have discussed the following and seek your co-operation in the best interests of all children: Birthday invitations should not be distributed on the school premises as it causes upset to the children who are not invited.
Please see overleaf the School Calendar for 2015/2016 in order for you to plan your holidays accordingly.
Your co-operation in the above is very much appreciated.
With every good wish for the year ahead.
Teresa Neylon, Principal Cathriona Cronin, Deputy Principal
Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
SCHOOL CALENDAR 2015/2016
SCHOOL OPENING: Monday 31st of August 2015
MID TERM BREAK: Monday 26th of October to Friday 30th of October
School re-opens on Monday, the 2nd of November
CHRISTMAS BREAK: Wedsday 23rd of December to Tuesday 5th of January
School closes on Tuesday 22nd of December
School re-opens on Wednesday, the 6th of January.
MID TERM BREAK: Thursday 18th & Friday 19th of February
School re-opens on Monday, the 22nd of February
EASTER BREAK: Thursday 17th of March to Friday 1st of April
School closes on Wednesday, 16th of March
School re-opens on Monday, the 4th of April
BANK HOLIDAY: School closed Monday 2nd to Friday 6th of May
MID –TERM BREAK School re-opens on Monday 9th of May
BANK HOLIDAY: School closed Monday 6th and Tuesday 7th of June
School re-opens on Wednesday 8th of June
SUMMER HOLIDAYS: School closes on Thursday, the 30th June.
Please Note: This calendar could be subject to change as part of contingency arrangements to make up for time lost due to unforeseen school closures. You will be given adequate notice of any changes.