Dear Parents Issue: 08 November 7th 2018
Thank you to everyone who supported the Bake Sale before the Halloween break. It was a great success and €1,328 was raised in aid of Athenry Playground.
The Best Attendance record for October has been awarded to Mr. Byrne’s 1st Class.
Congratulations to the following pupils for making an extra special effort to speak Irish for the month of October: Alanna Duane, Cayden Coffey O’Brien, Angelika Scigaj, David Gillen, Daniel Lumumba, Maisie Hardiman, Leon Rusicki, Remi Biernaczyk, Alicja Olejnik, Amelie O’Sullivan, Abbie O’Toole, Aishling Kelly, Alanagh Forde and Lizzy Kastalianova
Mr. McDonald is the co-ordinator of the Active School Committee. We are participating in the Super Troopers Programme again this year which is designed to encourage children to be active for 60 minutes on a daily basis. The children will be provided with homework activity journals next week. These are filled with fantastic fun activities to do at home which are designed to help children to increase agility, strength, balance and overall activity levels along with fortnightly healthy lifestyle tips & reflection activities. Please encourage your child to complete the physical activity homework on a daily basis
The Literacy Lift Off intensive Reading and Writing programme has commenced in Mrs Forde’s 1st class. Every child will bring home a new book each night (including Friday) and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
The Parents Council wish to invite all parents to attend the Annual General Meeting for all Parents which will take place this Thursday November 8th at 7.30pm in the new extension. All parents are welcome to attend any meeting during the year.
Gerry Spellman from the Galway GAA Coaching Committee will assist the staff in coaching camogie/hurling to Mr Byrne’s 1st class every Friday for the next few weeks, commencing this Friday November 9th.
Sixth Class and parents are invited to the Parish Confirmation Mass this Sunday, November 11th at 11am.
An extract from our Whole School Self Evaluation Report for 2017/2018 will be sent by e-mail. This report incorporates all activities of the Board of Management, Staff, Student Council, Parents’ Council, Green School Committee, Diversity Committee, Healthy School Committee & Active School Committee, a list of Professional Development Courses attended by the staff, and all the activities that have taken place in the school from Junior Infants up to Sixth Class from September 2017 to June 2018 in the various curricular areas.
The Galway Science & Technology Festival is taking place from Sunday November 11th to Sunday November 25th. Teachers will make a special effort in teaching interesting science lessons and conducting exciting experiments. Ms Tyrrell our Science Co-Ordinator, has organised for an Xperimental Science Show to come to our school on Friday November 23rd. Children will have the opportunity to find out about how air pressure works.
Extra Curricular Activities: If your child wishes to enrol in the following activities please pay by cash/cheque payable to the teacher. Bookings are on a first come first serve basis.
- Miss Tyrrell (B.Sc Degree in Science) will provide a Science club for 1st class pupils at a cost of €25. Classes begin on Monday, November 12th from 2:30 to 3:30pm and will run for 5 weeks. Places are limited to 25, and will be on a first come first served basis
Dates for Diary:
- Fri Nov 23rd: Acceptances for Presentation College Athenry will be returned
- Sun Nov 25th: 11am “Do this in Memory” mass for First Communion children
- Fri Nov 30th: Band performing at lighting of the Christmas Tree
- Sat Jan 19th30am: Presentation College Transition Assessment
- Sat Feb 16th at 12 noon: Confirmation for 6th class
- Sat May 25th at 12 noon: First Holy Communion for 2nd Class
- Local band “The Gold Diggers” are performing in Raheen Woods Hotel on Friday November 9th at 9.30pm. All proceeds are going towards the Athenry Playground. Tickets €10 per person and can be purchased at the door on the night. There will also be a raffle.
- Athenry Christmas Shopping Fair in Raheen Woods Hotel on Thursday November 15th from 7pm to 10pm. There will be many local businesses showcasing on the night.