Scoil Chroí Naofa
Dear Parents Issue: 22 June 15th 2017
Mrs O’Sullivan has been teaching in Scoil Chroí Naofa for 18 years. She will be retiring at the end of this school year. The whole school community wish to thank her most sincerely for her commitment & dedication to the school. We wish her health and happiness in the future.
Please forward to the class teacher a Stamped Self Addressed Envelope for each of your children’s end of year reports, if you have not already done so.
Congratulations to all the boys in first class who took part in the Boys National School Hurling Blitz last Friday. They had a most enjoyable day.
Special thanks to all of you who donated bags for the Cash for Clobber Collection. We raised €330.
The Student Council also wish to thank you most sincerely for supporting their Bake Sale in aid of the Athenry Town Committee.
The staff and children welcomed the 77 new Junior Infants for September 2017, who visited the school today. Anne O’Rourke Psychologist from NEPS gave a very helpful presentation to their parents.
Special thank you to Mattie Hart Youth Co-Ordinator who has provided football coaching to sixth class. The girls will play a friendly match with Gael Scoil Riada today.
Sixth class girls & second class girls who received the sacraments and their parents are invited to the Corpus Christi Procession which will take place on Sunday, June 18th after 11am Mass.
Mr. Mc Donald, Mr. Wallace, Mrs Burke and the Active School Committee wish to inform you that next week will be Active School Week. Their slogan is Be active! Keep active! Stay active.
Children may come to school in their track suits and runners. Children are encouraged to be active in their travel as they walk to school. There will be a wide variety of fun activities on offer every day for the different classes.
- A “Monster walk with a smile” will take place on Monday June 19th from the car park beside Kenny Park at 8.50am. Children are encouraged to wear their high-visibility vests or arm bands. Staff will be present at the venue from 8.30am. If for any reason you cannot drop off your child at Kenny Park, the doors of the school will be open at the normal time.
- Each morning will commence with a wake up shake up morning assembly presented by the Active School Committee. They will demonstrate and encourage the whole school to participate in some fun exercises, dancing and action songs. They will assign some Super Trouper exercises as active homework.
- Wallace’s class will lead the school with stretching exercises on Friday Morning.
- Each class and all the staff will participate in the daily mile (1.6km) each day for 15 minutes. Daily mile (1.6km) activity is defined as a moving activity i.e. walking, jogging, skipping, running etc for 15 minutes each day around a circuit e.g. the footprints in the bottom yard, the edge of the top yard or around the basket ball court.
- The teachers also have organised a variety of activities to mark this active fun week, e.g. football leagues, hulahoopathon, skipathon, runathon, jogathon, bizzybreak activities, basketball knockout, zumba with Sharon, ultra flex with Kim, teddy bears picnic to the park, nature trails, class disco, drop everything and dance/jog/stretch (signal given from the Intercom). etc.
- Music will be played in the playground during both breaks on Tuesday week when all the State Exams are over in the Secondary Schools.
- Mc Donald will also provide a workshop on circuit training with a focus on running for interested staff.
- Owen Diviney as Athlete Mentor is providing a Sky Sports Living for Sport programme to 6th He is supporting them in a class project which will involve the whole school. Hence the Student Council are organising a wide variety of activities for our Sports Day on Wednesday in Kenny Park to include a hot dog/burger financed by the Parents’ Council. Children may bring treats on this special day. Parents are very welcome.
- Children will be encouraged to drink water in preference to juices during this week.
- Active Awards will be presented to children who make a special effort in being extra active.
Parental Assistance is requested for the following events over the next few weeks:
- Serving refreshment in the hall after Graduation Mass on Fri June 23th at 12.00 noon.
- Covering books on Monday and Tuesday 19th & 20th of June during school hours.
If available, please send a text to Parents’ Council phone number: 087 4038525
Graduation Mass for the 6th class girls and the 1st class boys will take place on Friday, the 23rd of June at 11am. The Board of Management, Parents Council and parents of 6th class girls and 1st class boys are invited to this special Mass. The staff wish the 1st class boys all the best in their new school We will also be celebrating the retirement of Mrs O Sullivan.
All the children will receive their Book Lists on Monday June 26th.
Sixth class will take a Trip to Galway to spend their JEP profits on Monday June 26th.
Brendan Smith from NUIG will present a Coding Workshop to 5th class on Tuesday, June 27th
Sixth class girls will be getting their holidays on Wednesday, June 28th at 2.30pm. The staff wish the girls health and happiness in their new school.
The staff and I wish to further equip and develop our play corners for a programme called Aistear. If parents or friends wish to kindly donate any of the following items to the school we would be very grateful: Toy Cash Registers, Toy Trolleys, Postman Pat toys / books, Postcards, Doctors / Nurse’s sets, Toy Animals, Teddies, Dress up Clothes, Aeroplanes, Small Suitcases, Luggage Tags, Cameras, Sunglasses, Baseball hats, Foreign / Play money, Travel Agent Brochures etc.
The Board of Management seek an annual contribution of €30 per child or €50 per family The Board wish to thank again those families who gave a Voluntary Contribution during the year. If you would like to contribute, we would be very grateful for your donation. In the light of the economic climate, staff has requested that no gifts be given to them throughout the year. Instead however, your appreciation of staff can be acknowledged in your Voluntary Contribution.
______________________ Teresa Neylon Principal