Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Dear Parents Issue: 16 March 23rd 2017
Heartiest congratulations to all the children (from 2nd to 6th class) in our Medieval Town Band, who gave an outstanding performance despite the challenging weather at the St Patrick’s Day Parade. A special thank you to Ms. Murray, our Band Co-Ordinator, and to the staff, for all their hard work and commitment. Many thanks also to the Parent’s Council who financed the children’s well-earned refreshments.
The staff have commenced implementing the Literacy Lift Off Programme to Senior Infants in Mrs. Murray’s class. Every child will bring home a new book each night and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
A number of the senior classes are participating in Paired Reading sessions with some junior classes. During these sessions the older child reads to the younger child and the younger child reads to the older child. Mrs Monson’s class are paired with Ms Tyrrell’s class, Mrs Greally’s class are paired with Ms Monaghan’s class and Mrs Hennessy’s class are paired with Ms Alani’s class. All the children are really enjoying this experience.
World Book Day Tokens were distributed to all the children today. They had the opportunity to exchange their tokens for a “World Book Day” Book, compliments of Eason’s Book shop, Galway. A special thank you to Caroline Sweeney (Isobel’s mum) & Anne Inglebach for facilitating the exchange.
Mrs Monson’s 6th class have been involved in the Junior Entrepreneur Programme (JEP) for the last 11 weeks. Today they launched their “Sweet Treats” products to all the children in the school. The girls have worked very hard learning about all the areas of business including design, production, marketing, sales & finance. The products retail for the following prices;
Easter Cup €2, Large Choc Pop (cookie) €2, (Small €1.50) & Choc Pop (marshmallow) €1.
After the girls have repaid the “start-up loan” and “float” they received from the school, they will be making a donation from the profits of their sales to Athenry Cancer Care. The remainder of the profits will be divided between the 6th class pupils.
A number of children will participate in two competitions in Scór na bPáistí 2017 which will take place in the Raheen Woods Hotel this Sunday March 26th. Rosemary Ward will compete in the singing competition and Ciara Bergin, Mia Doyle, Rosemary Ward and Ciara Murtagh will compete in the Quiz.
Language Station Teaching will take place in the senior infant classes over the next few weeks under the leadership of Ms Sheridan. The children will engage in receptive and expressive language activities to include fine motor skills activities.
Kim Somers, (mother of Chloe), tutor of the Athenry Ultra Flex School of Dance will very kindly provide Dance Workshops for children from Junior Infants up to 1st class. The workshops will have an Easter theme to include hip hop, free style and musical theatre. The workshops will take place on Tuesday March 28th and Tuesday April 4th. These workshops will be financed by the Parents Council.
Our annual Book Fair supplied by Tara Book Company from Kilcolgan is taking place next week from Monday to Friday (March 27th to 31st) from 9 – 10.15a.m. Children will have an opportunity to view the books. Books can be purchased in any of the following ways: (a) Book Flyers were distributed, which included an order form. Please complete form and enclose money in sealed envelope with your Child’s name and Teacher’s name, and give it to class teacher. (b) Parents, children or parents and children together are invited to purchase books on the above days at the specified times. Parents may collect their children from the classroom.
- Books will be available to suit all pockets. The cost of books will be rounded to the nearest euro. There is no pressure on any family to purchase books.
- The following parents have very kindly volunteered to help during the week: Karen Bracken, Linda Lapenas, Kim Somers, Rachel Moore and Mary Ryan. Assistance is still required from more parents. A special thank you to Monica Greco (Daphne & Claudio’s Mum) who has volunteered to take on the role of Book Fair Manager for the week.
- Children may come to school dressed as a character in a book on Friday the 31st of March.
- To celebrate and mark the Book Fair event, two authors will provide workshops:
- Geraldine Mills, poet and short story writer will provide workshops for selected classes on Friday. She has been writing for many years with several books to her name. Some of the children are reading one of books presently entitled “Gold”. The Parents Council will finance these workshops.
- Wallace is a teacher on our staff. Last year he wrote his first book entitled “Sentenced to Death”. He has now completed writing another book entitled “The Fallen” which is due to be published in May.
The Green School Committee are working on our next Green Flag, which is based on Global Citizenship (with a focus on the Marine Environment). Therefore 5th class will be taking a trip to Galway Atlantaquarium next Thursday March 30th. Parents Council will finance the bus to Galway.
Children are invited to participate in the Annual Athenry Community Games and Parish Sports which will take place in Carnaun pitch on Sunday week the 2nd of April at 1.30pm.
- First Confession for 2nd class will take place on April 3rd at 11a.m. in the school. Parents are invited to attend if they wish.
- The 5th and 6th class pupils will participate in the Spelling Bee Competition again this year. The winner will represent our school at the County Spelling Bee Championship which will take place in the Salthill Hotel on Tuesday, the 4th of April at 11.00am.
- Mrs Greally’s 4th class will be taking part in the Bizworld School Programme run by Bank of Ireland on Tuesday April 4th & Wednesday April 5th
- Brendan Smith (from NUIG) will provide a workshop on Cyber bullying for 5th & 6th class on Wednesday April 5th
- A member of the School Knitting Club, Maureen Cannon is an active member of the Irish Pilgrimage Trust which brings young people with special needs to Lourdes at Easter. Maureen would like us to support her again this year in supporting an Easter Raffle. Further details will be sent by text.
- The children will be getting their Easter holidays on Friday April 7th at 11.45am. School re-opens on Monday April 24th.
- Parents and 2nd class children are invited to the next Do This In Memory Of Me Mass on Sunday, April the 9th at 11.00 am.
- Ms. Sheridan and Ms. Tyrrell are organising an Easter Fun Camp in the school from Monday to Friday April 10th – 14th. All queries regarding camp need to be directed to the camp leaders in rooms two & three.
Yours sincerely, _______________________Teresa Neylon, Principal