Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Dear Parents Issue: 15 February 19th 2018
The Parents’ Council wish to thank:
- Eiranne Heffernan, Diana Szabo, Joanne Hannon, Joanne Melia Costello and Melanie Gillen who made teas & coffees for all the grandparents on Grandparents Day.
- All of you who supported our Fun Table Quiz in Dowling’s Bar. The sum of €650 was raised. The proceeds will go towards purchasing iPads for the children
- All of you who donated raffle prizes, supported the raffle and made sandwiches for the event
- All of you who were unable to attend on the night, but still gave a donation to the fund
Your support & generosity is very much appreciated!
Athenry Tidy Towns Committee wish to sincerely thank all the children & parents who planted native trees along some of the new roads during the mid-term.
As a result of the increase in our pupil population, the Department of Education & Skills have allowed the Board of Management to appoint two additional “Posts of Responsibility” to the current Management Team consisting of Principal, Mrs Cronin Deputy Principal, Mrs Monson Assistant Principal 2. It gives me great pleasure to announce that Miss Veronica Murray has been appointed Assistant Principal 1 and Mrs Michelle Greally has been appointed Assistant Principal 2. We welcome them aboard in their new roles.
Please return immediately, Enrolment Forms for new children starting school in September 2018, if you have not already done so.
Children are not allowed to bring mobile phones or Smart watches to school.
Our annual Book Fair supplied by Tara Book Company from Kilcolgan is taking place this week from Tuesday February 20th to Friday 23rd from 9 – 10.15a.m. All the children will have an opportunity to view the books. Books can be purchased in any of the following ways:
(a) Book Flyer attached which includes an Order Form. Please complete form and enclose money in sealed envelope with your Child’s name and Teacher’s name, and give it to class teacher.
(b) Parents, children or parents & children together are invited to purchase books on the above days at the specified times. Parents may collect their children from the classroom.
- Books will be available to suit all pockets. The cost of books will be rounded to the nearest euro. There is no pressure on any family to purchase books.
- The following parents have very kindly volunteered to help during the week: Annmarie Duffy, Joanne Melia Costello, Joanne Hannon, Caroline Gorton and Mary Ryan. Assistance is still required from more parents. Please text your availability to Parents’ Council mobile 087 4038525.
- To celebrate and mark the Book Fair event, Gabriel Fitzmaurice, poet will provide workshops for selected classes on Tuesday February 20th. The Parents Council will finance these workshops.
- Children may come to school dressed as a character in a book on Friday February 23rd
The 6th class girls will attend a Confirmation Preparation Retreat on Thursday February 22nd with Youth Officer Mattie Hart.
The 6th class girls will be making their Confirmation on Saturday February 24th at 2.30pm. The staff wish Mrs. Monson and the girls a very special memorable day. The Parents’ Council will finance a party for them on Monday the 26th.
It has been a tradition in our school that the sixth class girls wear their school uniform for their Confirmation Ceremony. A survey was carried out on the girls from 3rd to 6th class and their parents on their wishes for the future. The majority of children and parents wish to wear their own outfits instead of the uniform. Therefore this new practice will commence next year when the current 5th class girls make their Confirmation in 2019.
Our Annual Church Gate Collection will take place this weekend Saturday & Sunday, February 24th & 25th. There will be five collection points at the three weekend Masses (Saturday 7.30pm, Sunday 11.00am and 7.30pm). We need 30 parents for 30 minutes before each Mass. Tables & boxes can be collected from outside the convent chapel. We would be very grateful for your support and help once again. If you are available, please text the Parents’ Council mobile phone 087 4038525.
Engineer’s Week will be celebrated next week. The theme this year is ‘Engineering our Future’. Ms. Tyrrell our Science Co-ordinator has organised a number of activities which highlight the importance of engineering in our world.
- Some Engineers will be invited to talk to various classes. If you are an engineer or if you know of any engineers who would like to volunteer, please let me know asap.
- Greally’s class will attend a show entitled “Ireland’s Engineering Superheros” presented by Scientific Sue in NUIG on Tuesday February 27th. Many thanks to the Parent’s Council who will finance the bus fare.
We would like to draw your attention to our school website www.scoilchroinaofaathenry.com. Mrs. Cronin our I.C.T. Co-ordinator and the teachers have been very busy “blogging” about all the events that the children have taken part in since September. The website includes many features such as our diary, newsletters, photos, blogging from various classes, a translation feature to other languages etc. Recent blogs include our band, Peace Proms, Grandparents Day. A special thank you to Krzysztof Bronowicki who assists us so generously with updating the website.
- The Literacy Lift Off Programme will commence in Mr. Byrne’s class next week.. Every child will bring home a new book each night & parents are asked to read with their child.
- The Maths Blast / Problem Solving Programme commenced in Mrs. Hennessy’s class.
- Joyce and class teachers will teach the six week Colour Strings Programme to Mrs. Murray’s Senior Infants, Mr Byrne’s 1st class and Mr McDonald’s 2nd & 3rd class on Fridays.
- Mrs Monson’s 6th class are taking part in the Junior Entrepreneur Programme (JEP) again this year.
- Next Cash for Clobber collection is scheduled for Tuesday of next week (Feb 27th).
- Transition Tests for 6th class in Coláiste an Chláirín on Saturday Mar 10th from 10–11.30am.
- MMR vaccine for Junior Infants on Wednesday & Thursday March 14th &15th
- Our school Medieval Town Band will lead the St Patrick’s Day Parade on Saturday March 17th, after the 11am mass
- School Photographer will visit the school on Wednesday March 21st.
- Ms. Monaghan and Ms. Tyrrell are organising an Easter Fun Camp from Monday to Friday Mar 26th to 30th. All queries regarding camp need to be directed to the camp leaders.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal