Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Dear Parents Issue: 15 March 15th 2017
Engineer’s Week was celebrated last week. We were overwhelmed by the amazing support of parents & local businesses who volunteered their time to talk to the children about engineering. It was a wonderful success and a very enlightening week!
- Emmet Byrne of Byrne Mech visited Junior Infants
- 5th & 6th classes visited the Byrne Mech factory
- Rodrigo Alemida of Byrne Mech visited Mr McDonald’s class
- Angelo Greco of Advantech visited Ms Tyrrells and Ms Alani’s classes
- Niamh McNulty of Coffey Construction visited Mr McDonald & Ms Monaghan’s classes
- Brian Quinn of Cisco visited Mrs Hennessy’s and Mr Wallace’s classes
- Micheál Quinn of SIP Energy visited Mrs Greally’s class
- Nick Kennedy of Street & Park visited Mr Hanley’s & Mrs Hennessey’s classes
- David Murphy from Creganna visited Ms Tyrrells & Mrs Murray’s classes.
- Hennessey’s class attended a spectacular show entitled “It’s all done with Mirrors” presented by Dr Ken Farquhar in NUIG. Many thanks to the Parent’s Council who financed the bus fare.
- Tom Cuffe provided Origami Workshops to Mrs. Monson’s, Mrs. Greally’s, Ms. Monaghan’s and Ms. Alani’s classes. Many thanks to the Parent’s Council who financed these workshops.
To capitalise on all the inspiration that the children received last week, Ms Tyrrell (our science co-ordinator) is encouraging the children to imagine, design & build a creation of their own, using materials from the recycling bin. The level of individuality and creativity from the children has been fantastic! To acknowledge the time effort & commitment they have all put into their projects, all the creations will be on display in the hall next week.
Mr Hanley has selected the following team to take part in the Co. Galway Community Games Table Quiz, which will be held tonight in the Boys School at 7pm: Shandreya Flannery, Sophie Donnelly, Jennifer McGreevy, Maia Morgan, Farrah Flannery & Aoife Bergin.
The next Parent’s Council Meeting is scheduled for tonight (Wednesday) March 15th at 8pm. All parents are welcome to attend any of these meetings. Tonight the main item on the agenda is support for the upcoming book fair. If you are available to help out with the book fair (Mon Mar 27th to Fri 31st – from 9am to 10.15am), please come along to the meeting or text 087 4038525.
In preparation for St Patrick’s Day, the children may come to school tomorrow (Thursday) dressed in green, white or orange. There will be no school on Friday (March 17th).
The Community Council has invited the Medieval Town Band to lead the St Patrick’s Day Parade and to perform a recital at the viewing stand. The parade will take place this Friday March 17th, after the 11am mass. Children from 2nd to 6th class have worked very hard for this event, so we hope to see your support by being present on the day. Your co-operation in the following matters is an essential part of this day. All children in the band are requested:
- To meet in the school at 10.00am
- To bring their instruments
- To wear their hair in plaits, if possible
- To make sure they have comfortable shoes or runners (no boots or plimsolls)
- To wear two layers, vests or t-shirts under their band uniforms
- They should bring their coats
- Children from 3rd up to 6th Class should wear their navy tights.
- Second class will be provided with skin coloured tights.
- Children can be collected from the school straight after the Parade at 12.30pm.
The School Photographer will visit on Tuesday, March 21st. He will take individual photos of junior infants, 1st class boys and 6th class girls. He will also take a photo with their siblings. He will take class photos of junior infants, first, Ms Monaghan’s first & second, and sixth class. Please make sure that your child is wearing full school uniform and tie and the correct colour tights/socks for girls (navy or white).
- The next Do This In Memory Of Me Mass will take place on Sunday March 19th
- World Book day tokens will be distributed on Thursday March 23rd. Children will have the opportunity to exchange their token for a “world book day” book, compliments of Easons, Galway.
- A number of children will be taking part in Scór na bPáistí 2017 which is fixed for the Raheen Woods Hotel, Athenry on Sunday 26th
- The Green School Committee are working on our next Green Flag, which is based on Global Citizenship (with a focus on the Marine Environment). Therefore 5th class will be taking a trip to Galway Atlantaquarium on Thursday March 30th. Parents Council will finance the bus to Galway.
- First Confession for 2nd class will take place on April 3rd at 11a.m. in the school. Parents are invited to attend if they wish.
- Brendan Smith (from NUIG) will provide a workshop on Cyber bullying for 5th & 6th class on Wednesday April 5th
- The children will be getting their Easter holidays on Friday April 7th at 11.45am. School re-opens on Monday April 24th.
- Sheridan and Ms. Tyrrell are organising an Easter Fun Camp in the school from Monday to Friday April 10th – 14th. All queries regarding camp need to be directed to the camp leaders in rooms two & three.
Yours sincerely, _______________________Teresa Neylon, Principal