Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Dear Parents Issue: 14 January 22nd 2018
Congratulations to the five senior classes who participated in the Peace Proms Choir Concert in the Kingfisher hall NUIG on Sunday night. The children gave an outstanding performance and enjoyed the experience of singing with a full orchestra. A very sincere thank you again to the class teachers, Mrs Monson, Miss Murray, Mrs Greally, Mrs Hennessy, Mr McDonald & Miss O’Byrne for training the girls for this special event.
Parent/Teacher Meetings for Junior Infants will be held this Wednesday and Thursday, January 24th & 25th. Children from Junior & Senior Infants will go home at 1.15pm on both days.
The next Parents’ Council Meeting is scheduled for this Thursday January 25th at 8pm. All parents are welcome to attend any of these meetings.
Coderdojo is a free Computer Programming Club for children from ages 7
to 17. It is held on Saturdays between 12:00 and 2pm in the main
hall in Clarin College. More details can be found at https://coderdojoathenry.org/about/
Congratulations to the four teams which took part in the Kilchreest Table Quiz. The girls performed very well in both categories. Mr Hanley has selected two teams to take part in the Credit Union Table Quiz in Clarin College on Sunday, January 28th at 2pm.
Enrolment Forms for new children starting school in September 2018 have been distributed. Please complete and return by Wednesday, January 31st. Additional forms are available from the office.
Mr John Connolly Principal of the Boys National School visited the boys from 1st class last week. Enrolment forms for the Boys National School should be completed & returned to the Boys School as soon as possible.
Catholic Schools’ Week is being celebrated nationally from Sunday, January 28th to Saturday February 3rd. The theme this year is “Called to be a Family of Families”. Grandparents are invited to visit the school on Grandparents’ Day, Wednesday January 31st from 10.45am -12.00pm. They will visit their grandchildren’s classrooms and afterwards refreshments will be provided. We want to honour and celebrate grandparents for the important part they play in the community and most significantly in the lives of their grandchildren. Parents Council seek help from volunteers to assist with making teas & coffee on Grandparents day. If you are free, please text Parents’ Council mobile phone: 087 4038525.
The Parents’ Council Annual Table Quiz will take place in Dowlings Pub on Friday, February 2nd at 8.30pm. It is always a great night out and a fun way to meet up with parents & staff. Cost is €10 per person for tables of 4. There will also be a raffle and some light refreshments on the night.
Athenry Tidy Towns has invited our school to take part in a massive community planting of native trees on Saturday February 10th. This initiative is part of a project that was started in 2013 which had the objective of planting one million trees in one day. The website is as follows;- www.onemilliontreesinoneday.com. Unfortunately the overall national target wasn’t reached in 2013. However, Athenry played its part at that time. Our school was one of several local schools that planted 9,300 native trees along some of the new roads. These trees are beginning to mature nicely. Athenry has been asked to carry out another massive community planting of young native trees on Saturday February 10th. The trees themselves are saplings and are very easy to plant. It is just a matter of putting a spade in the ground, pushing it forward and placing the sapling behind the spade, removing the spade and pushing the clay down around the roots with your foot. There is no digging of holes, and it is literally a thirty second job. Parents are required to bring their children to a specific planting area, at a particular time and remain with them to assist with the spade work. Ideally all parents will bring their own spade but Athenry Tidy Towns will be able to supply a limited number of spades on the day. Further details will follow in the next newsletter.
- The Literacy Lift Off Programme is currently being implemented in Mr. Hanley’s class. Every child is bringing home a new book each night and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
- The Maths Blast / Problem Solving Programme was delivered in Mrs Monson’s class for the last two weeks. It will commence in Ms. Murray’s class next week.
Extra Curricular Activities: If your child wishes to enrol in the following activities please pay by cash/cheque payable to the teacher. Bookings are on a first come first serve basis.
- Wallace will provide an Art Club for Junior Infants at a cost of €25. Classes begin on Tuesday, 30th January for 5 weeks from 2:30 to 3:30pm.
- Ms Alani will provide an Art Club for 2nd and 3rd classes at a cost of €35. Classes begin on Tuesday, 30th January for 7 weeks from 2:30 to 3:30pm. Art Shirt required.
- Mrs Murray (B.A. Degree in Spanish) will be offering a Spanish Club for 4th, 5th and 6th classes at a cost of €20. Classes begin on Wednesday 31st January for 6 weeks from 2:30 to 3:30pm. Emphasis will be on spoken Spanish and will also include Spanish songs, traditions & food through fun and games.
- Ms Monaghan will provide a Yoga Club for 1st class at a cost of €18. Classes begin on Wednesday, 31st January for 6 weeks from 2:30 to 3:30pm.
- Brendan Smyth will deliver a talk on Cyber Bullying and Internet Safety in Clarin College this Thursday, January 25th at 7.30pm.
- The next Communion Preparation Mass on Sunday, January 28th at 11am
- Staff Meeting on Thursday, February 1st. Children go home at 1.15pm.
- Service of Light for Confirmation children on Thursday, February 1st at 7.30pm.
- There will be no school on Wednesday, February 7th as the staff will be attending inservice on the New Primary Language Curriculum.
- Confirmation for 6th class girls will take place on Saturday, February 24th at 2.30pm.
- The next Cash for Clobber collection is scheduled for Tuesday February 27th
- MMR vaccine for Junior Infants on Wednesday & Thursday March 14th &15th
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal