Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Dear Parents Issue: 13 March 2nd 2017
A very sincere thank you to staff and families who helped and supported our Church Gate Collection last weekend. We raised a total of €787.
Congratulations to all the girls in sixth class who made their Confirmation. The Parents Council are financing a party today to honour this special occasion. If you wish to order a Confirmation Class Photo, please forward €20 by Friday of next week (Mar 10th).
Today Thursday is World Book Day. The aim of World Book Day is to celebrate the joy of reading. Every child will receive a €1.50 book token which can be exchanged for a €1.50 book or if they prefer €1.50 off any book costing more than €3.99. Book Tokens will be distributed next week.
Gerry Spellman from the GAA Coaching Committee will provide three hurling/camogie workshops for the children in Ms. Alani’s’s first class every second Friday commencing tomorrow Friday March 3rd. If your child has a hurley/camogie stick and helmet, please remind them to bring them as we have a limited supply in school.
Mrs Leggett is a member of our staff, a Youth Football/Soccer Coach and Chairperson of the local Football /Soccer Club. She is currently providing soccer workshops for Mrs. Murray’s class, Miss Murray’s class, Mrs. Greally’s class, Ms. Tyrrell’s class, Ms Monaghan’s class and Ms Alani’s class. All the other classes will have the opportunity over the remainder of this school year.
Ms Sheridan will run an Art Club for Junior Infants, commencing Tues of next week (Mar 7th) from 2.45pm – 3.45pm. The club will run every Tuesday for 5 weeks and will cost €25. Places need to be booked in advance and are on a first come, first serve basis.
Miss Murray and the Green School Committee are planning a “Monster Cash for Clobber” for Wednesday of next week (Mar 8th). If you have any of the following unwanted items, please put them in refuse bags – Good Quality Clothing, Shoes, Belts, Towels, Curtains, Bed linen, Handbags, etc. No duvets pillows or soiled items will be accepted. Please drop bags inside the new front door at 8.50am as the van is due to arrive at 9 o’clock.
Seachtain na Gaeilge is being celebrated nationwide over the next two weeks. Mrs. Cronin assisted by Mr. Wallace have organised a menu of activities. All the children and staff will make an extra effort to speak in Irish. The following are a list of some of the activities will take place through the medium of Irish: Assembly every morning, News, Weather Forecast, School Diary, Stories, Poetry, Drama, Songs (Amhrán na bhFiann), Irish Dancing, Traditional Music Session, Gaeilge Spelling Bee, Table Quiz, variety of Games, SNAG Poster Competition, Irish Speaker Awards etc.
Engineer’s Week will be celebrated next week also. The theme this year is ‘Engineering our Future’. Ms. Tyrrell our Science Co-ordinator has organised a number of activities which highlight the importance of engineering in our world.
- Some Engineers will be invited to talk to various classes. If you are an engineer or if you know of any engineers who would like to volunteer, please let me know asap.
- Hennessey’s class will attend a spectacular show entitled “It’s all done with Mirrors” presented by Dr Ken Farquhar in NUIG on Wednesday the 8th of March. Many thanks to the Parent’s Council who will finance the bus fare.
- Tom Cuffe will provide Origami Workshops to Mrs. Monson’s class, Mrs. Greally’s class, Ms. Monaghan’s class and Ms. Alani’s class on Thursday and Friday the 9th and 10th of March.
The children in Mr. McDonald’s Class will be going on a “Nutri-Safari” to Supervalu in Loughrea on Wednesday of next week (Mar 8th). The Nutri-Safari is a fun adventure where pupils will have the chance to meet a butcher, baker and fresh produce leader and learn all about nutrition, within a stimulating environment. A Certified Dietitian will talk to the pupils about nutrition and healthy eating, and answer any questions they have. Each pupil will be given special goody-bags containing fruit and water to bring home to continue the conversation on healthy eating! Many thanks to the Parent’s Council who will finance the bus fare.
If you still wish to order a video recording of the final dress rehearsal of each class at our Gala Christmas Concert, please complete the Order Form below and return with the correct amount of money by Friday of next week (Mar 10th). A copy of each performance is available on one DVD. One DVD will cost €5, two DVDs will cost €7.50 and 3 DVDs or more will cost €10.
- Some children in 6th class will attend Transition Tests in Colaiste an Chláirín on Saturday Mar 11th from 10–11.30am. They are reminded to bring biros, pencil and rubber. Calculators are not allowed.
- Our school Medieval Town Band (children from 2nd to 6th class) will lead the St Patrick’s Day Parade on Friday the 17th of March, after the 11am mass
- Parents are invited to attend a seminar on Dyslexia on Monday Mar 27th from 6-9pm in the Galway Education Centre. If interested please book through dyslexiaconsultant.com or by contacting Kathleen Sweeney on 085 7820221.
- A “Mental Health Awareness Initiative for Parent / Caregivers” of children in 5th & 6th class is being held in the Galway Education Centre on Tues Mar 14th from 7pm – 8.30pm. The presentation will offer practical tips in how best to support and promote the mental health of all children and is not targeted at children with specific mental health issues. To reserve a place email email@example.com with your name and contact number, places will be confirmed by return email. Booking is essential.
Yours sincerely, _______________________Teresa Neylon, Principal
CHRISTMAS CONCERT DVD ORDER FORM
I wish to order a DVD of
__________________________ (class name), ________________________ (class name),
__________________________ (class name) ________________________ (class name).
Parent’s Name: ________________________________________________ Block Capitals