Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Dear Parents Issue: 12 December 14th 2017
Yesterday we received copies of “The Clarin River from Source to the Sea” calendar featuring the winning photographs of Amelia Drapiewska & Sophie Donnelly. The girls were selected as two of the winners from 200 entries for the Children’s Photography Competition based on the journey of the River Clarin back in October. In addition to the 12 photos for each month of the year, there are an additional 7 photos displayed on the back page. Photos from four our other pupils are featured: Mary Ward, Kerri O’Driscoll, Rosemary Ward and Maria Sewerynska. Congratulations to all the girls on their beautiful photos.
Mr. Byrne, Ms Alani, her 1st class and some Senior Infants sang Christmas Carols for the residents of Maryfield Nursing Home. Special thank you to Richie Crawford (Dad of Leo) who invited us and financed the bus in conjunction of Boston Scientific
The next Do this in Memory mass for 2nd class children and their parents will take place this Sunday, December 17th at 11am.
Staff and children will participate in a Carol Service on Tuesday, December 19th in the school hall.
Santa Claus will be visiting our school on Wednesday, December 20th in the morning.
Ms. Alani, Mr. Byrne and his 1st class will sing Christmas Carols for the residents of Castleturvin Nursing Home on Wednesday of next week also.
The Parents’ Council Monster Raffle is scheduled to take place on Thursday, December 21st at 11a.m.in our school hall. A most sincere thank you, to all you parents who have so generously donated spot prizes, especially all the beautiful hampers. We very much appreciate your support in making this a successful event. Please see details below:
- Each family has received a numbered card
- Each line on the card is €2 each so each card is worth €20
- Cards must be returned whether filled or not
- When card is complete, please send card and money into the secretary
- Families can request additional cards if so desired
- We are encouraging children to ask family and close neighbours for sponsorship as their safety is of utmost importance
All cards and money have to be returned before Monday, December 18th, whether they are complete or not. We truly appreciate your support once again.
The following Transition Year students (past pupils) are on work experience in the school: Sarah Ryan, Katelyn Tuffy, Hannah Lane, Emily Crotty, Leah Crotty, Conor Gorton, Emma Flannery, Sahara Rose Farris & Aoife Hallissey. PTO.
Gerry Spellman from the Galway GAA Coaching Committee will assist the staff in coaching camogie/hurling to children in First Class every Friday for the next few weeks.
The Green School Committee are recommending that children do not exchange Christmas Cards at school. This is our way of caring for the environment and reducing the amount of waste paper as well as cutting cost to families due to the current economic climate.
The Board of Management has introduced an annual Voluntary Contribution for each family, as a result of reduced funding towards the running costs of the school. The Board is seeking a contribution of €30 per child or €50 per family. We would be very grateful for your donation. Sincere thanks to those who have already given the contribution, it is very much appreciated. In the light of the economic climate, staff have requested that no gifts be given to them throughout the year. Instead however, your appreciation of staff can be acknowledged in your Voluntary Contribution.
We would like to draw your attention to the school website – the teachers have been very busy “blogging” about all the events that the children have taken part in during the first term. Visit www.scoilchroinaofaathenry.com to check it out!
- Christmas Holidays – School closes on Friday, December 22nd at 11:45am, school re-opens on Monday, January 8th 2018
- Transition Assessments for Presentation College on Saturday, January 20th.
- Confirmation Commitment Mass on Sunday, January 21st at 11am in the church.
- Peace Proms Concert in Kingfisher NUIG on Sunday, January 21st at 8pm.
- Parent Teacher Meetings for children in Junior Infants are scheduled for Wednesday & Thursday, January 24th & 25th. Children in Junior & Senior Infants will go home at 1.15pm on those days.
- Grandparents will be invited to Grandparents Day which will take place on Wednesday, January 31st as part of Catholic School Week.
- Service of Light for Confirmation children on Thursday, February 1st at 7.30pm.
- There will be a Staff Meeting on Thursday, February 1st. All children will go home at 1.15pm.
- Parents’ Council Annual Table Quiz will take place in Dowlings Pub on Friday, February 2nd.
- There will be no school on Wednesday, February 7th as the staff will be attending inservice on the New Primary Language Curriculum.
- Confirmation for 6th class girls will take place on Saturday, February 24th at 2.30pm in the church.
Yours sincerely ______________________________Teresa Neylon, Principal
______________________________ Cathriona Cronin, Deputy Principal
______________________________ Elaine Monson, Assistant Principal 2
The staff wish you and your families a very Happy, Peaceful, Healthy and Safe Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.