Scoil Chroí Naofa
Athenry, Co Galway
Dear Parents Issue: 12 7th February 2017
The Parents’ Council wish to thank:
- Rachel Moore, Eileen Caulfield and Caroline O’Gara, who made teas & coffees for all the grandparents last week.
- All of you who supported our Fun Table Quiz in Dowling’s Bar last Friday. The sum of €1,400 was raised. The proceeds will go towards providing workshops for all the children and to finance buses for sport, science, choral events etc.
- All of you who donated raffle prizes, supported the raffle and made sandwiches for the event
Senior classes are participating in a Spike Ball Blitz in Clarin college today, organised by the TY students from Coláiste an Éachreidh.
The Athenry Community Games Swimming 2017 will take place this Saturday the 11th of February in the Raheen Woods Hotel (8.00am registration and competitions begin at 8.30am with the under 8’s). €3 entry fee required.
The next Communion Preparation Mass will take place this Sunday, February 12th at 11am.
There will be no school on Tuesday week the 14th of February as the staff will be attending inservice on the new Primary Language Curriculum.
The following past pupils will assist the staff on their work experience over the next two weeks: Marta Gutiérrez, Lauren Higgins, Aine O Farrell and Emily Moynihan
The 6th class girls will be making their Confirmation on Saturday week, the 18th of February at 2.30pm. The staff wish Mrs. Monson and the girls a very special memorable day. The Parents’ Council will finance a party for them after the mid-term break.
Mid Term Break will take place from Monday the 20th to Friday the 24th of February. The children will have a full school day on Friday the 17th.
Our Annual Church Gate Collection will take place during our mid-term break on Saturday & Sunday, the 25th & 26th of February. There will be five collection points at the three weekend Masses (Saturday 7.30pm, Sunday 10.00am and 7.30pm). We need 30 parents for 30 minutes before each Mass. Tables & boxes can be collected from outside the convent chapel. We would be very grateful for your support and help once again. If you are available, please text the Parents’ Council mobile phone 087 4038525.
Please return immediately if you have not already done so, Enrolment Forms for new children starting school in September 2017.
Peter O Hara Connaught Rugby Coach will provide two workshops for the children in Mr. Wallace’s first class on Thursdays.
Mrs Leggett is a member of our staff, a Youth Football/Soccer Coach and Chairperson of the local Football /Soccer Club. She is currently providing soccer workshops for Mrs. Murray’s class, Mrs. Greally’s class and Ms. Tyrrell’s class. All the classes will have the opportunity over the remainder of this school year.
- The Literacy Lift Off Programme has commenced in Hanley’s class for five weeks. Every child is bringing home a new book each night and parents are asked to read this book with their child.
- The Maths Blast programme has commenced in Mrs. Murray’s class for two weeks where the children are becoming very familiar with the number concept, play number games, and handle maths equipment.
- A new Oral Language Programme has commenced in Ms. O Byrne’s class for two weeks where the children are engaging in receptive and expressive language activities to include fine motor skill activities.
- Joyce and class teacher will continue to teach the six week Colour Strings Programme to Mr. Hanley’s Senior Infants, Mrs. Murray’s Senior Infants and Ms. Monaghan’s 1st & 2nd class on Fridays.
- Monson’s class and Ms. Tyrrell’s class are participating in Paired Reading. During this session the older child reads to the younger child and the younger child reads to the older child. All the children are really enjoying this experience. Mrs. Greally’s class have paired up with Ms. Monaghan’s class.
Extra Curricular Activities
- Mr McDonald is coaching Basketball to children from 4th up to 6th on Mondays
- Miss Sheridan is providing a Senior Infants’ Art Club on Tuesdays from 2.45pm to 3.45pm.
- Ms Tyrrell is providing a Science Club on Tues (except Tues Feb 14th, where club will be held on Mon Feb 13th instead).
- Hanley will continue to coach for Table Quiz on Wednesdays from 2.30 – 3.30pm.
- The next Cash for Clobber Collection will take place on Wednesday March 8th
- First Confession for 2nd class will take place on April 3rd at 11am in the school. Parents are invited to attend if they wish.
Gala Christmas concert
A video recording was taken of the final dress rehearsal of each class at our Gala Christmas Concert. A copy of each performance is available on one DVD. One DVD will cost €5, two DVDs will cost €7.50 and 3 DVDs or more will cost €10. If interested, please complete the DVD order form below and enclose the correct amount of money:
Yours sincerely, _______________________Teresa Neylon, Principal
CHRISTMAS CONCERT DVD ORDER FORM
I wish to order a DVD of _______________________ (class name), __________________ (class name),
______________________ (class name) and ________________________ (class name).
Parent’s Name: _____________________________________ Block Capitals