Dear Parents Issue: 11 December 6th 2018
Congratulations to Mr McDonald, his wife and family on the safe arrival of their new baby girl. The whole school community would like to send them our very best wishes on this very special occasion.
Congratulations to all the children who performed at The Lighting of the Christmas Tree last Friday. The children put a lot of hard work into preparing for this performance. The staff are very proud of them all. A very sincere thank you to all of you who supported us, and to the Parents’ Council who provided refreshments for the children.
Fifth & Sixth classes are attending the “Footloose” musical presented by Presentation College today Thursday, December 6th at a cost of €3 per person.
Fifth & Sixth classes will take part in a Spike Ball Blitz against Gael Scoil Riada in Clarin College gym tomorrow Friday, December 7th.
Mr McDonald’s 3rd class will be attending a Writing Workshop entitled “Fighting Words” in the Town Hall tomorrow, Friday December 7th. Sincere thanks to the Parents Council who are funding the cost of the bus.
The following Transition Year students will be on work experience in the school over the next 2 weeks: Sarah Dowling, Ava Earls, Megan Earls, Caoimhe Rohan, Alanagh Doherty, Rebecca Dennis & Abbie Gibbons.
There will be the following Staff Changes after Christmas:
- Mrs Caroline Forde will be returning to teach 1st Class
- Miss Emer Dolan will be teaching Ms Alani’s 3rd / 4th class for the rest of the school year
- Miss Andrea Feeney will be remaining in Junior Infants for the rest of the school year
- Mrs Laura McSpadden will be covering in the Special Education Teacher (SET) team until Mrs Darrelle Burke returns from her maternity leave, after the February mid-term break
Parents’ Council News:
1.The Parents’ Council are organising a Monster Christmas Raffle. The raffle will take place at 11am on Thursday, December 20th in our school hall. There will be many prizes. The Parents’ Council would very much appreciate if parents would like to donate items or vouchers for the raffle, which can be forwarded to the office. Sincere thank you for all the great spot prizes received to date. We would very much appreciate your support in making this a successful event. Please see details below:
- Each family has received a numbered card
- Each line on the card is €2 each so each card is worth €20
- Cards must be returned whether filled or not
- When card is complete, please send card and money into the secretary
- Families can request additional cards if so desired
- We are encouraging children to ask family and close neighbours for sponsorship as their safety is of utmost importance
All cards and money should be returned before Tuesday, December 18th, whether they are complete or not.
2.A sincere thank you to all the Class Representatives who were able to attend the Parents’ Council meeting last night. A new chairperson has been appointed for the year ahead: Rachel Moore (mom of Adriana in 3rd class and Jacob in Junior Infants).
3. One of the main topics discussed at last night’s meeting was how difficult it can be for parents (especially new parents to the school) to meet the parents of their children’s friends. The school is not permitted to provide parents with other parents’ phone numbers, due to data protection issues. All this combined makes it difficult for parents to arrange play dates & issue birthday invitations etc. In an effort to help with this issue the Parents Council are going to organise a series of “Tea/Coffee mornings” for all the parents of children in each of the different class levels, starting with the 3 junior infant classes. The Junior Infant Tea/Coffee Morning will take place on Friday January 18th in the school hall from 9am to 10am. There will be no assembly on that morning. Children will go straight to their classes. The junior infant parents can then take a seat in the hall and meet, greet, mingle (& exchange phone numbers!) with their fellow parents.
The Board of Management has introduced an annual Voluntary Contribution for each family, as a result of reduced funding towards the running costs of the school. The Board is seeking a contribution of €30 per child or €50 per family. We would be very grateful for your donation. Sincere thanks to those who have already given the contribution, it is very much appreciated. In the light of the economic climate, staff have requested that no gifts be given to them throughout the year. Instead however, your appreciation of staff can be acknowledged in your Voluntary Contribution.
Timetable of Extra-curricular activities that are currently running in the school:
- Mon: Science Club for 1st class
- Wed: Club Gaeilge for 2nd & 3rd class (Note: there was no Gaeilge Club on Wed Dec 5th, because of the parent teacher meetings. The club will be held today Thurs Dec 6th for this week instead).
Dates for Diary:
- Do this in Memory Mass for 2nd class children and their parents on Sunday December 16th at 11am in the church
- Christmas Holidays – School closes on Friday December 21st at 11:45am, school re-opens on Monday January 7th 2018
- Fri Jan 18th 9am-10am: Junior Infant Parents Tea/Coffee morning in school hall
- Sat Jan 19th 9.30am: Presentation College Transition Assessment
- Confirmation Commitment Mass on Sunday January 20th 2018 at 11am in the church.
- Grandparents will be invited to Grandparents Day which will take place on Wednesday January 30th 2019 as part of Catholic School Week.
- Sat Feb 16th at 12 noon: Confirmation for 6th class
- Sat May 25th at 12 noon: First Holy Communion for 2nd Class
- Athenry Playground will be having its Grand Re-opening Celebration this Sunday December 9th after 11am mass. There will be Hot Food and Ice Cream available to buy on-site. There will also be a Bouncy Castle, Music and lots of fun. All are welcome (parental supervision essential).